PDA

View Full Version : Split stereo output?

NightrainSrt4
04-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok, here is the situation:

I've got a stereo system, the one under my system. Its placed directly in between my desk with computer and television/ht section. I used to run 4 pairs of speakers to the stereo, just because I could, but have since dropped to two. The stereo has multiple inputs so taking input from the tv is fine as well as the pc.

The issue is that I want to have a set of speakers by the tv and a set by the pc. When I'm gaming I don't want the ones by the tv to be going so that way if someone is watching tv it isn't totally overtaking the televisions speakers.

How to I split the bare wire spring clip outputs from the stereo into two selectable (switched) outputs. So when I am on the pc I can flip it one way and only the pc speakers output, and when using the tv only the speakers by the tv output.

I'm sure I could build a switch by hand, but do they have a selectable switch for bare wire speakers?

NightrainSrt4
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I've found something like this (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2462600&numProdsPerPage=20&y=11&x=15&retainProdsInSession=1) but it seems quite expensive and overkill as I only need two selectors.

At that price I might as well get a ht system like I was originally going to, but figured this would be cheap and easy.

Collinstheclown
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Ground them all together and use a DPDT switch for the +'s?

-CollinstheClown

NightrainSrt4
05-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Would a box wired like this work? Looks like it should, but I'm not very good at wiring up stuff.

Top is output to stereo
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7978/speakerswitchdiagrambmp.png
Bottom is the inputs from the two sets of speakers.

Flip both switches one way and it goes to the computer speakers, flip both other way and it goes to home theater speakers. Look right?

NightrainSrt4
05-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I was going to run right away to radioshack to pick up what I needed but realized I don't have a spot for the extra speakers over by the tv, and they have no connectors to just use long cable.

Hooked the tvs output to the stereo and it seems that with the tv volume and the speakers, even though they are over to the right side, adds enough volume without seeming like its coming too much from one side.

The fiance wanted the tv louder as with the big fans to keep cool going it can be tough to hear quiet parts in movies and such. Audio quality or directionality doesn't seem to be a big issue for her. =)

I am going to keep this project in mind though because I want to build the two sets of extra speakers into a custom bookshelf enclosure, and wire them to terminals so I can use custom length wire. That way I can run them to the couch. Perhaps this summer I will take on this project. No point in spending my birthday monies on this when there is the issue of her gaming rig overheating. Ehh

xmastree
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a two-into-one adaptor plugged into my audio output. Two leads from that, one to the desk speakers, one to the amp. I just switch on the ones I want to use.

Simple.

NightrainSrt4
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure I understand. The output from my stereo is bare wire spring clips. The output looks like this (http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2265719_rshalt1_dt.jpg).

The output from the pc isn't the issue, as that is usb, while I use RCA from the television. The issue is the one set of speakers is over by the computer. I don't want those to make sound when the tv is set to output through the stereo. Intead, I want the tv to have its own set of speakers over by the tv that I can switch to when I want.

Setup of the room.

S1 - TV - S1 Stereo S2 - PC - S2

When I am over watching tv on that side of the room I want to flick a switch and have the speakers on that side of the room, S1, be the only ones audible, and when over on the pc I only want S2 to be audible. Not both at the same time.

Edit: The inputs aren't an issue, as I can flick a button on the stereo and switch from pc to tv. I want certain speakers to be on when I want them and off when I don't.

Luke122
05-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Doesnt your stereo have Speaker A/B selectors?

NightrainSrt4
05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Its in my system, but this is what the stereo is (http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/3/L944830.jpg). It isn't a receiver, just a standard shelf system with aux, usb, and composite game passthrough inputs. So nope, no a/b selector that I know of. As the ports for speakers are just like the link I posted above. 2 pairs of spring clipped bare wire outputs, one for left speakers, one for right.

Assuming I designed that box right it should work. Should all fit in a standard project box too.

xmastree
05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
The output from the pc isn't the issue, as that is usb, while I use RCA from the television. The issue is the one set of speakers is over by the computer.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Collinstheclown
05-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Your box should work, I would look for a 4PDT and make it a bit easier then flipping 2 switches. Unless of course your gonna mount something across the switches and make it look like a knife switch (http://www.gifford.co.uk/~coredump/ksw.jpg). That would be sweet.

-CollinstheClown

NightrainSrt4
05-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Cool. I'm glad it looks like it would work. Of course depending on the switch the wires would be a little different, as I kept finding different diagrams, and I accidentally just mirrored the wires in mine instead of the same on both sides.

? Has anyone tried to rip cheap speakers out of their cheap plastic case and rebuild into a new box with actual terminals? A solid box has to be better than the cheap crap they come in right?

I've got mdf and was thinking about reboxing the extra speakers I have that way I can use custom length cable. Also I could toss 2 sets into one box and make it look better than tossing two different speakers on top of each other.

Or would I just be better off just junking them and buying like $50 Sony Bookshelfs from Best Buy or something? I just hate wasting what I have.

billygoat333
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM
reboxing them would definitely be fun, just make sure you have the right air volume in the box (going off of car subwoofer box design) for the speaker :) thats if you want to max the bass output of the speaker.

mtekk
05-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Has anyone tried to rip cheap speakers out of their cheap plastic case and rebuild into a new box with actual terminals? A solid box has to be better than the cheap crap they come in right

Some guy over at metkumods made custom boxes for his Logitech speakers ( http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/logiwood/index_eng ) , there are some other custom speaker box mods on that site that you may find helpful.

NightrainSrt4
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Very cool. I knew it was possible, and I'm sure anything is better than the crappy particleboard/plastic enclosures they are in. This might be my first mod for the summer as this would actually be useful to me. I wanted to build a case I'd been thinking of, but I'm not I've got a use for another case at the moment.