PDA

View Full Version : Custom USB cable needed

BuzzKillington
05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm looking for a flush USB to USB cable about 2" long preferably with flat cable.

It's for my laptop to cooler. The cable it came with is about 8" long which is way too long for my laptop considering the laptop's input is right above the cooler's.

EDIT: Right-angle to right angle would work even better. since the slack would be tucked along the laptop rather than sticking out from it.

Zephik
05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Chop the cable up?

BuzzKillington
05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Pretty much... but so far I've only found right angle - *forgot name of plug*

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8235/usbusbrightabm2.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6433/321b4h213b4g3hbhjasdf.jpg

So I'd need to buy two of them... but I'm not sure how to remove the tip and re-apply it without it looking half assed.

Zephik
05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about for some reason, brain must have some fuzz on it or something. But, why not just cut the cable, then use heat shrink wrap to make it nice looking again?

SgtM
05-01-2009, 10:36 PM
That's what I would do.

Mach
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
What about a retractable cable? 330326900333

NightrainSrt4
05-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing as above. Cut the cable, solder the new end connector and heatshrink the entire cable. But this might prove difficult to get the entire length of the cable heatshrinked so it looks uniform.

Because I usually throw the heatshrink on the cable before soldering/splicing and unless it can be bunched up, that's not going to be enough space to work and have the entire length of heatshrink on the cable. Plus unless you are sick at soldering, or come up with some real creative method, its still going to have either a bulge or divot at the solder spots.

Zephik
05-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Wait, what needs to be soldered? You shouldn't need to solder anything, just strip the wires on each end of the cut and twist them back together. Thats what I did with my Xbox Controller mod and it worked fine afterwards.

As for getting the heat shrink on, you can probably just bunch it up at one end, get a bread twisty tie mahjigger and tie it in place so its out of your way until you can get the wires spiced back together. If the heat shrink won't bunch up enough to give you room to work, then you might either have to try cutting the heat shrink down the side (not sure if it would still work properly after that though) or get cable sleeving which should either be able to stretch over the heads or be able to bunch up better than the heat shrink. Another option would be to just get some electrical tape. :p

billygoat333
05-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I would just cut it up as well. usb cables are very simple to work with :)

NightrainSrt4
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I went the twist method on my xbox controller to, but a bit of solder to hold the connections together would be a much better connection than just twisting, which if this usb is for actually transferring data instead of the tiny little bit the xbox controller transmits then I would solder, not twist, but that's me.

The only reason I didn't solder my controller was that the damn battery iron I bought sucks balls and couldn't solder anything the damn pos. Should have bought the 30w that was right beside it that was half the price.

nevermind1534
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Wait, what needs to be soldered? You shouldn't need to solder anything, just strip the wires on each end of the cut and twist them back together. Thats what I did with my Xbox Controller mod and it worked fine afterwards.

I did something like that, but then ended up soldering them together later on.

BuzzKillington
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I'll try the cut and patch method although I'm not a fan of visible heatshrink... or the bulge the seam may create that is visible through the heatshrink, I should say.

Collinstheclown
05-05-2009, 02:06 AM
Can you get a picture of the ports? You said that the laptop's USB was right above the coolers, it might help to actually see it.

The cooler is just using the USB's power then I would assume so really you can take 2 of the wires out and make the cable even smaller.

I'm thinking speaker wire or something, maybe even ribbon cable.

I'd like to try and make something personally. :)

-CollinstheClown

BuzzKillington
05-10-2009, 02:54 PM
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/935/1241980954704.jpg