PDA

View Full Version : Single VS Dual Core

jptrvlr
01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
So, survey says?

Breakdown: Fx 55 or X2 4800+ this is going to be my primary gaming rig, lots of cd/dvd burning and music/video storage.

pros and cons: the stuff i play is all better off on single core, FOR NOW.
oc'ing, dunno what should i expect?
close in $$$ range
my mobo supports either one (Asus A8N SLI Premium NVIDIA)
X2 sports 1mb x2 on cache

WWTBCSD? lol. haven't really considered intel, the EE to me is over priced and everyone that i game w/ wishes they went amd. anyone want to contradict that? all opinions welcome. thx.

jp

Malatory
01-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Single core is going to be the strong one now. Until more programs support SMP,and Or everyone learns how to make proc 1 use this program and Proc 2 run that one.

Teh 1mb Cache is a mute point as both have that for the processor .. reason the X2 has it 2 times is one for each core. if they were using the same cache, that would be a major problem/ bottle neck..

Since I am a power linux user I will move to a Dual core later on this year more because I can than because of the speed.

jptrvlr
01-07-2006, 02:23 AM
just wanted to get some feedback from those that game (know they are here) on if they were moving to the dual cores amd or intel and/or what they were running now. if a single was oc'ing and giving good performance. just trying to justify it cause that will be a bigger chunk out of my mod budget for a few months, etc. thx.

jp

crenn
01-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I mainly use Intel computers (most of them are laptops) but gaming on a X2 4800+ is fine, you do have a small speed increase as the load of the CPU is shares over the 2 cores. But it can not run a single process over 2 cores, (a game is currently a single process) which means that other CPU intensive stuff can run on the other core while you're gaming. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

If you just want to game only, then get a FX-57 or wait for the FX-59 which if I remember correcty is being released on the new socket M2.
But if you want to encode a video and game at the same time, go for dual core.

jptrvlr
01-08-2006, 01:25 AM
didnt know there was a new platform coming out. might wait for that, do some more research. my gf is pissed enough cause all the stuff and blender mags have been replaced with cpu and pc gamer and her "workout" room has been turned into a sea of case parts. lol. thanks for the input.

jp

HaWk16
01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
One of the main questions is are you going to overclock?? If you are, the FX series will help you alot, since they have the unlocked multiplier that no other amd proc has. But if you dont plan to overclock, the X2 would work great. Also, do you plan to multitask with your computer?(heavy multitasking, not light) if so, the X2 will help alot

jptrvlr
01-09-2006, 01:53 AM
thats what im kinda torn between. i want to build this rig to hold tons of data. ive got a sh.t load of mp3s and ive got about two years of mini dv's that i want to convert to dvd's and put on hd to have a back up copy. i don't plan on gaming at the same time im ripping dv to a hd, i just want fast and reliable. id like to oc but ive never done it and dropping 800$ on a processor kinda freaks me out to fry the thing. if i can go with something fast out of the box like what im looking at (Fx 55 or X2 4800+) and oc it later, thats great. dunno. at this time im gonna wait a bit and see what pans out after the ces show and into spring. need to get a ps and im thinking im going to invest in the turbo cool 1KW now, save for the processor in a few months and see what the prices/options look like then. thx for the info guys.

jp