PDA

View Full Version : software for playing bluray

Mark_Hardware
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Anybody have any recommendations for a good software program for playing bluray and hd-dvd? I am using the software that came with my disk drive, Cyberlink Powerdvd. It is total garbage. It locks up my computer almost everytime I watch a bluray, and always has issues playing hd-dvds. I read several reviews of the disk drive where other people are having the same problems with the software. LG's website is devoid of any real support on this topic, and they want to blame your computers hardware.
Something with like a free trial would be preferable, so I can check it out before buying it. Thanks!

Outlaw
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I know this is a little old but I was having similar issues with Blu-Ray (don't own any HD-DVD). My system isn't as powerful as yours but I did a fresh OS install with the most up to date video drivers, then made sure the firmware on the dvd drive was up to date and the issues went away. I was also using the Cyberlink PowerDVD included with the drive.

Airbozo
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I use the Cyberlink power dvd software with my blueray player and have no issues with HD or Blueray disks.

The system running the software is using the Intel DG45FC motherboard with onboard Blueray decoder. The processor is a c2d 8400... With 2gb memory running vista (soon to be XP).

I found that once I installed any virus scanners, that I had issues, but never a lockup and rarely would it stutter. I removed the virus scanner and no issues.

haha49
06-24-2009, 02:39 AM
I use powerdvd 8 I found 9 to be a little bugy but it allows you to play through your media center so its a trade off all the other programs are even worse then powerdvd get the updates and it should fix your problem if no upgrade to version 8 or 9 to fix even more bugs.. make sure its ultra or it wont play bluray..

Mark_Hardware
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Boy I almost forgot about this lol! Well, I actually haven't had any more problems. I'm not sure what all has changed..... The only real issue I have anymore is when I watch HD dvd's the audio track gets off time. Oh well, I don't have that many HD dvd's. Thx for the feedback tho!

haha49
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Boy I almost forgot about this lol! Well, I actually haven't had any more problems. I'm not sure what all has changed..... The only real issue I have anymore is when I watch HD dvd's the audio track gets off time. Oh well, I don't have that many HD dvd's. Thx for the feedback tho!

O thats one of the settings that sometimes auto change when the window pops up and asks you just goto sound settings and make sure its set right to what speakers ect you have.. if you have it set to 7.1 and have 2 speakers sounds like the audio is off..

Mark_Hardware
06-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Hmmm I've never had any window pop up asking me anything.... I've checked my settings, all good. Some movies are worse than others. 2001: A Space Odyssey it was off the whole time, while 300 came and went. Oh well at least it doesn't do it with bluray, and it plays well with my Imon (now)

haha49
07-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Hmmm I've never had any window pop up asking me anything.... I've checked my settings, all good. Some movies are worse than others. 2001: A Space Odyssey it was off the whole time, while 300 came and went. Oh well at least it doesn't do it with bluray, and it plays well with my Imon (now)

Had it do it automaticly for me befor I was like what the hell you click 1 box the 1 time it pops up and it changes the settings on you everytime after that.. pain in the rear to find the option to stop it basicly its hideing in the options..