PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Kitbashed Stuff

chris_kalan
01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey there everyone, I have a question or idea that could be helpful to potentially tons of modders out there looking to kitbash.

We all know kitbash can get quite expensive, as it sometimes takes many kits to find all the pieces you need. However, I have been thinking that I could buy a lot of kits myself and sort the stuff out myself (army, wheels, futuristic, etc.) and people could buy them for about the cost of one regular model kit in stores. That way, you only get the parts you need and don't have any issue with leftover parts just sitting around.

This is my idea, of course, is there anywhere that already has something like this going on? Also, would anybody be interested in purchasing kits like these, because I would be able to provide the service if people are interested.

Let me know, thanks!!

Aero
01-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I actually thought of this a few months ago, but figured it would be a bit hard to sort out prices and stuff. I personally proboly would just buy the model itself, not a premade kit thing.

Rankenphile
01-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I would probably do the same. I tend to find inspiration from a lot of random pieces I have lying around, so prefer to kitbash myself. There's no such thing as an unusable part, jsut a part you haven't discovered the project for.

Crimson Sky
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
sure I'll take 250 3/32" M60A1 jerry can caps ;) It would cost a small fortune to create stock like that--and probably very hard to catalog, photograph and sell--but hey--I could be wrong

chris_kalan
01-06-2006, 11:35 PM
See, I was thinking the same thing, and then I realized that it would be pretty simple and easy to start off. I figure, I could buy about ten kits at decent prices (I know someone who owns a hobby shop) to start, and seperate everything out by major groups.

This way, it is an assortment of pieces that could be used, not guaranteed selections. It would be something like a 10pc. assortment of electronic equipment pieces (for example), with a pretty even amount of large pieces, small pieces, and tiny pieces.

I would have to work everything out once I actually get the pieces, and work out exact pieces. I am pretty good with the logistical kind of stuff, working things out, etc. so I think I could work everything out decently.

At this point, I just want to know if anyone would be interested in something like this?

Crimson Sky
01-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I think this idea defeats the purpose of kitbashing--sorting through and finding random parts that work out in a whimsical way in order to create the look and feel needed for a project--I can never start off a kit bahing project by knowing exactly what I'll need for a certain look--so I really wouldnt have aneed for this type of service--but some may :)

chris_kalan
01-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah, but you're Crimson Sky!!!! You're the lord of modders....some people don't have enough dough to buy ten kits to find a piece that they might need.

Anyone else interested??

Judgement
01-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Just an Idea

rather then trying to sort and sell why not just have everyone put up the parts they have/need that they are not intending to uses and then they could trade/sell with each other (whatever deal they work out)

then again if your anything like me youll trade/sell a pice then a week later think up a good idea for how to use it :D DOH!!!

Malatory
01-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Problem I have with it ... Do you really know what your looking for when diggin through the kits?

Some of it comes from having an idea what you thing should go there .. then finding something else while looking thought the kit.

example; looking thought some of my War Hammer left over arms / weapons looking for a sword and Ax for a to place in a crypt. Found a Skelton hand will a Ax that worked for the floor (as if someone tryied to rob it and lost am Arm).

chris_kalan
01-09-2006, 01:06 AM
alright...not well received.. //sits in corner and cries//

Rankenphile
01-09-2006, 01:42 PM
alright...not well received.. //sits in corner and cries//

Hey, don't take it personally. It's not a bad idea, just a tough one to actually implement. I'm sure there is a market out there for such a thing, but kitbashing for case mods probably isn't it.

Example - my father is a WWII airplane model enthusiast. Hard-core. He has hundreds of models he's built over the years. He's at the point now where he buys custom-made modifications of existing models - a custom-designed cockpit modification to fit a certain type of Spitfire prototype that was only built for 6 months, for instance. He would be the kind of guy that would buy certain model parts. Modding enthusiasts like us are much less picky when it comes to model parts, and half the joy of kitbashing is digging through your "bits box" and finding a piece that works better than the one you had in mind. Again, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten inspiration for a part or a complete model by finding a strangely-shaped piece of trash that someone was about to throw out. I personally keep a shoebox filled with parts from old photocopiers, because they are the best way to find a huge assportment of plastic gears and other strange pieces, and because I worked in a copy shop for a number of years and had a deal with the repair techs who would save me old used pieces they would otherwise throw out.

Crimson Sky
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, but you're Crimson Sky!!!! You're the lord of modders....some people don't have enough dough to buy ten kits to find a piece that they might need.

Anyone else interested??

I scrimp and scrape and use every last bit of plastic bits from my kitbash collection--some models (like the Halcyon Alien kits)I've had for over 6 years now--I'm more frugal than you know ;)

chris_kalan
01-09-2006, 04:16 PM
LOL. Thanks for the wonderful words rankenphile and Crimson Sky (my eternal modding lord)!!! I wasn't seriously taking it personally.....I have always been into the business thing and am now looking for a way to turn my love of business into something I can do with modding. Pre-kitbashed stuff was my first idea, but I WILL BE BACK!! muahaha***...lol..... I have shopped the idea around to other forums and am still looking for some more feedback, as any good entrepreneur would do (scower every market), so we shall see what will happen.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to read through this everyone....until my next idea is born....adieu! (no I'm not French)