PDA

View Full Version : Need help... going crazy!!!

justleftlife
01-07-2006, 03:36 AM
I have been working on my computer for a while now since the mother board died! I got a new MoBo and CPU. Now i am just another step in the process(it turns on again).

So i get everything together, connect the power source and hit the switch...... I got nothing..... so i look at it and i get an idea! I switch the DIMM slots and try it again! and it kicks right up!!!!!

so i see the case fianlly light up! well i am looking at the monitor and and i see it go from sleep to awake back to sleep, it says there is no input. i listen closely to hear if the hard drive is spinning and i cant hear it, but the Master CD drive is spinning.

so i dont know if the hard drive is dead or not. but i was thinking maybe there is another problem i am not looking at, I was hoping that some one could give me ideas becasue i can really replace the hard drive right now i am out of money. but if there are anyideas please let me know!

richmandudeus
01-07-2006, 04:07 AM
Sounds like it could be a couple of things (that i can think of). 1 could be that your harddrive is dead. 2 is that your powersupply is to weak to power everything up. I've found that if you have a modem or soundcard or a couple of ram sticks, floppy,fans, etc. [anything that might be added to the system that isn't the mobo,harddrive, and cdrom] If you start with the bare minimum and it starts up ok, then you can start the diagnosis of hardware. I know it's teadious work adding one component at a time, starting it up, then running it, but somehow it does help. On one of my pc's it was a modem, on another it was a soundcard, and on my friends his ram sticks weren't compatible.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to yah.

crenn
01-07-2006, 05:05 AM
If you have another computer to try the HDD in, try it. If it does work, then it's is either your motherboard or your powersupply. If not the HDD is dead and will need replacing.

Crimson Sky
01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
when installing a new system i find that using a USB mouse or keyboard can prevent POST or boot up--or delay boot up for a long time. I always have PS2 peripherals on hand for new installs of hardware such as motherboards and OS

invalid
01-07-2006, 01:54 PM
You should still see the main screen looking for hardware and such. At that point it may freeze if there was a dead HD while searching for it. But, you never even see the Hardware detection screen. I would personally look elsewhere.

UK-Blade
01-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Lets see if this helps.

1. Pull out all the leads from the back, except Power, VGA and keyboard (pref PS/2).
2. Remove all addin cards (Modem, Lan, Wifi etc) except VGA(unless onboard, in which case don't pull the chips of the mainboard ;) )
3. Disconnect all drives, HDD, CD, DVD (remove IDE/SATA cables)
4. Unplug all the front panel connectors. eg USB, Power light, hdd light, reset. except power switch and PC speaker.

This should leave you with the mainboard, CPU, Memory and VGA, with power.

Turn the system on, if it still does not POST (give a display) clear the BIOS and try again.
If it still does not POST, its either MB, CPU or Mem.

If you remove all the memory do you get the BIOS beeps reporting no memory? (Can't remember them off hand, but have a list somewhere around...) If so suggests memory is the problem.

Then you're stuck, unless you know somebody who can lend you a part to test.

Do you know any local PC stores that do repairs? If so take the mainboard, CPU, Memory and PSU in and see if they can test them. (Best to take them out of the case, makes it easier to check, In my opinion).

Let us know how you get on, may be able so suggest some other things.

Also give us a shout if you have any problems understanding what I said to do, its quite late here and I'm not that coherent at the best of times :p

justleftlife
01-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Well i am pretty sure its the power source. I tired to turn it on today and it started to light up but then it died so i am sure the power souce is being burned out... its a 350 antec power source. so i am sure its not going to be able to power it all!! but thanks all

justleftlife
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
so let me see I got a new PSU, a new hard drive, and i took out the mem there is no beep codes and i still have nothing i flashed the bios and nothing i am STUCK!! i am going to send in the mobo and get a replacemt