PDA

View Full Version : Failure on important Hard Drive

Indybird
05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Earlier today I started experiencing problems with my storage hard drive. At first file access would stutter, stopping for 5 or so seconds at a time about every 30 seconds. Then it got worse, I couldn't access many of my files and folders.

At this point I tried to run windows disk check. After about 5 minutes of checking the disk check simply displays "1024" and the computer locks up. After restarting, I go to back up what files I can access. It will copy the files for about 5 minutes then the hard drive will disconnect and disappear from windows completely. I can restart the hard drive no problem, but the same thing will happen.

Now here's where I've been foolish...I've been using this hard drive for about 5 years now and haven't backed up anything. I have a lot of important stuff on this hard drive, so it is very important to either get the data back or the hard drive working.

I have already done some research about hard drive recovery, but all of the programs I've tried can't see my hard drive for some reason. I'm coming to you guys as a last resort before taking this drive to get professionally restored.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer (i.e. what the problem is, how to fix it, how to recover my files, etc...).

Thanks,
Indybird

crenn
05-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Time to seal the drive and get some dry ice...

Indybird
05-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Time to seal the drive and get some dry ice...

What is that for?

Thanks,
Indybird

AMD Killa
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
I think he's messing with you a bit there ;)

If it keeps disconnecting from windows, theres no hope of a commercial product being able to access it.

You would be better off sending it straight to the professional restorers without testing it yourself anymore, as the more you try to use it, the more damage you could be doing.

crenn
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I think he's messing with you a bit there ;)
Not quite. Seal the drive from condensation and then put it in Dry Ice to cool the drive down a lot. It may or may not help. Professional recoverers (sp?) would be better.

Indybird
05-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Alright its definitely looking like I'll be taking this to professionals. Before I check around locally, do you guys have any recommendations for such professionals?

+rep to everyone who helped

Thanks,
Indybird

SXRguyinMA
05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
I've got a drive that needs to go the the professionals as well, the board fried and all my picture/music/movies etc are on it :( I'm saving to get an external HDD now for backups

Luke122
05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
The ice/freezing trick only works for drives that wont spin up, or seize up shortly after loading. Basically you are cooling the drive enough that you can run it long enough to retrieve data.

I've tried it twice, but it's only worked once for me.

Professional data recovery is pricey though.. :(

SXRguyinMA
05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
yes it is, I was quoted $400 for my Seagate 500GB drive :(

Luke122
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
$400 for a 500gb drive? Is that a guaranteed recovery? If so, that's way less then I thought it would be!

I would have spent that last year on my 320gb that died with all my photography on it!

Indybird
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Woah, these estimates aren't looking too good. I know a tech guy who might be able to get me a good deal on a recovery, hopefully it will be particularly cheaper than that.

Now, my final question:

My new setup will involve two 500GB (or 640GB) hard drives. One will go in my portable external enclosure and one will remain stationary as a backup drive. This tech guy I was talking to suggests that this failure might have resulted from rough handling of this drive, which is a possibility due to the fact that it is in a portable enclosure.

Is there any 500/640GB Hard drive I can buy that has better shock resistance?

Thanks,
Indybird

Luke122
05-14-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/thumb-drives-storage/7948/

*Edit*
Oops.. capacity too small.. looking..

Luke122
05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Here we go:

http://www.lacie.com/ca/products/range.htm?id=10036

Indybird
05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/thumb-drives-storage/7948/

*Edit*
Oops.. capacity too small.. looking..

Here we go:

http://www.lacie.com/ca/products/range.htm?id=10036

Thanks for the fast and relevant finds, but I was talking more just bare drives as I am using a special enclosure. I'm not looking for massive protection, just something better than a standard drive.

Thanks again,
Indybird

nevermind1534
05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the fast and relevant finds, but I was talking more just bare drives as I am using a special enclosure. I'm not looking for massive protection, just something better than a standard drive.

The enterprise drives are going to last longer, but are more expensive.