PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Beep, blank display

Mattastic
05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey I'm new here :banana:. My name is matt, if the username doesnt give it away. Anyhow..

I'm working on my first build (pics to come) I finally got everything installed and was able to fire her up. The monitor comes on shows some system info, then the screen goes into sleep mode (green light on monitor goes orange) the screen goes black. If i wait a few seconds it starts a continuous beep. I've got an asus p5q se2 mother board and i cant find beep codes anywhere. Any ideas?

Mattastic
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
i totally forgot to mention that i have a card reader.. I thought that maybe it was trying to boot from the card reader, so i disconnected it. So now it should be booting to the HDD. just sayin...

Luke122
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
When the monitor powers up, is it displaying info from the PC, or is it showing the monitor brand?

A constant beep usually means either the cpu or memory is not seated correctly. Start with that, and let us know.

BuzzKillington
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
What luke said. My guess would be the memory. They could be seated incorrectly, you could have a dead stick or your mobo could have dead slots.

Take out all but one memory stick and try it in each slot. If you get through all ram slots and it's still no-go then you're back to square one.

EDIT: Could you link us to your RAM?

Mattastic
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
The monitor is displaying info about the PC i believe, it says something like voodoo3 2000 which would be coming from my mobo if im not mistaken?

my RAM is OCZ gold 2 x 2GB ddr2 - 800

I'm at work tonight until about 10:30pm mountain time. I will try these ideas as soon as i hit home though. Thanks for the rapid response guys.

billygoat333
05-13-2009, 04:57 AM
I used to have a voodoo3... good effin gfx card. lol had a voodoo 5 too, before 3dfx sold out to nVidia. good times.

as for your problems... the voodoo 3 had a built in bios screen that would show up when you first booted, even before the MB bios iirc... Def. Check your ram. it could be the MB too. tried clearing your CMOS?

nevermind1534
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
But memory is three beeps, usually.

Mattastic
05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I used to have a voodoo3... good effin gfx card. lol had a voodoo 5 too, before 3dfx sold out to nVidia. good times.

as for your problems... the voodoo 3 had a built in bios screen that would show up when you first booted, even before the MB bios iirc... Def. Check your ram. it could be the MB too. tried clearing your CMOS?

you win.. popped off the CMOS and boom up and running. After that i was getting a setup error, but after setting BIOS to boot from CD that fixed that issue too.

Only issue I'm having now is that my sound doesnt work, at all. Im using linux mint and cant figure out how to get the sound going.

deadevil13
05-28-2009, 08:49 AM
linux OS's usually come with sound drivers installed.....because thats why you havent got sound most likely.

Otherwise, find out what sound card/on board sound you are using and then google

*[soundcard model] linux driver*

You should get something up if its a common mobo, if not then i have no clue.....

(send me the Mobo/soundcard manufacturer & model and ill look for ya. Its usually easier to find the model number, usually printed on the top side of your mobo/soundcard.)