PDA

View Full Version : Basic Modding tools

fliprod
01-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi
What is a good tool to use to make a hole on acrylic window on the side of the computer so I can install a cooling fan? I hope to hear from you.

Oblivion72
01-08-2006, 11:20 AM
the best tool would probably be a dremel, but if you dont have one you might be able to use a drill to drill a hole and then cut it out with a scroll saw or you could use a jigsaw. If you do use a jigsaw make sure that it is on the lowest speed setting and use a very fine toothed blade, make sure the blade doesnt get hot too, as this will melt the acrylic!

Malatory
01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
dremel would be one of the worse tools to use.. (Unless its a ne XPR with Jigsaw attachment added) Cut off wheeles would melt the acryplic.

Scroll Saw would be one of the best. A Hole saw would be the best if you had one the right size. One that would Cut metal as you need the higher Teeth per inch to keep it from cracking.

Guttenaffe
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't use anything other than a Bi-Metal hole-saw on acrylic.

This might be a little late but, if you use a hole-saw on acrylic drill one side about 3/4 the way though and make sure the pilot bit is long enough to go all the way though the material. Flip it over align the pilot bit into its original hole and continue cutting the other 1/4 of the hole. This will minimize cracking and chipping of your acrylic sheet.

Since case fans are 3” and larger I recommend using more than one center drill of different sizes before cutting though the material with a hole-saw. The pilot bit for 3” and larger hole-saws is fairly big to "single drill" somthing as brittle like acrylic. Acrylic cracks and breaks so easy, you should start off with a 1/16 or smaller bit a walk your way up to something about 1/8” smaller than the pilot bit used on your hole-saw. Once acrylic cracks you are SOL and will have to start over.

crazybillybob
02-01-2006, 01:35 PM
The other type of hole saw that works well on plastics is an adjustable hole cutter I've always called the widow makers. It's a drill bit with a slide bar on the side and at the end of the slide bar is a cutting tool (similar to the ones used on lathes). But no matter what you use GO SLOW!!! if you go fast the saws get hot and the plastic cracks!

Good luck,
Crazybillybob

DireSandMan
02-06-2006, 01:51 PM
If you drill the acrylic with wood behind it you will make it much harder for the acrylic to blow out and crack.

The boy 4rm oz
03-05-2006, 08:10 AM
why use acrylic. I used perspex and i had no problem drilling it just as long as you make a small hole 2 gide the larger drill bit cos it's slippery.

qoou
03-05-2006, 11:37 AM
hole saw.

tybrenis
03-30-2006, 10:26 PM
why use acrylic. I used perspex and i had no problem drilling it just as long as you make a small hole 2 gide the larger drill bit cos it's slippery.

Perspex IS acrylic. 8)

RangerDanger
04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
ive used dremel cutoofs disc on acrlyic and it didnt melt...u have to cut slowly..not try and go through the first time.