PDA

View Full Version : Help getting a networked printer to work

SXRguyinMA
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
ok, my work's computer system is pretty basic. a main server, and a DSL modem/router that all the computers are connected to. now heres the problem. the computer I use is directly connected to the printer. I need the other computer at the counter to be able to print, but nothing I do seem sto work. how do I properly set it up? :think:

Bopher
05-15-2009, 01:32 PM
XP or Vista? I know in XP its just a matter of making sure that file and printsharing is on. then you have to go into printers, right click and share the printer. then once its shared and named go to each computer and install a new printer, select network then do a search. I don't think file and print sharing needs to be on all the computer just the one your sharing the printer on.

SXRguyinMA
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
XP Pro. Sharing is on, its shared as "LJ4100." It wont find it doing a network search :?

OvRiDe
05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Try searching \\<computername>\LJ4100 where computer name is the name of the machine the printer is connected to. Also you should see it if you open up \\<computername from the address bar in My Computer.

SXRguyinMA
05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
if I type in "\\Counter5\LJ4100" it pops up asking for a UN and PW, but we dont have any PW set up on these machines

OvRiDe
05-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Yah.. I have had that problem, in many cases XP doesn't like to share resources when there is no password set for the username. Not sure if there is a way around that part of it, but you could create a user/password on the box with the printer and see if it lets you print then.

SXRguyinMA
05-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I'll have to play with it some more. I just went through the registry to setup auto logon, I'll have to disable it, then set a pw and redo it again, see if that works. thanks!

SXRguyinMA
06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
ok, I set up a PW on this machine, went to the other, typed in \\counter5\LJ4100, the UN/PW window popped up again, typed in the UN and PW and it still wont connect :?

si-skyline
06-13-2009, 12:44 PM
the best thing to do is to make sure that simple file sharing is enabled.

this is done in tools>>folder options>>view tab, advaced settings windows, scroll down to the bottom and select it.

that is if you can, this means other computers on the network can share recourses without a password and connect as guest.

if thats not possible make sure the permissions on the printer is set correctly

right click the printer on the server >> properties >> securlity tab

to allow either everyone to print orthe username of the other user.

a good thing to do is goto the client and type in \\<computer with the printer>

then you should see all the shares and hopefully your printer. if not then there is a problem with permissions or the way you have set the printer. if a username and password is required before seeing the shares then you authenticate with a useraccount on the computer with the printer

SXRguyinMA
06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
simple file sharing is on, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the printer, sharing/unsharing the printer, no go. if I go to the client workstation and browse the network, I can get into every computer except the one the printer is attatched to. even if I enter the UN/PW it wont let me in :?

si-skyline
06-13-2009, 05:23 PM
lol, it would have to be on the one you cant get into.

could you access it before you started to tinker with the settings?

is there a error message what pops up or does the connection time out or something