PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 7 RC

Zephik
05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. windows must be installed to a partition formatted as ntfs.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 RC onto my Ubuntu hard drive, but when it comes to the partition selection screen or whatever thats the error it gives me. Any help?

crenn
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Windows recognises that there is a foreign partition, if there is no option to format, you'll have to use a tool (Gparted I think is one) to delete the partition so you can install Windows 7.

Zephik
05-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Ha, I got it working. I didn't notice the advanced options menu before. Deleted the partitions then installed perfectly.

Windows 7 is sweet! And its free until like this time June 2010. :up:

Now I just have to figure out how to get my wireless working. Guess I need to reinstall the drivers.

crenn
05-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Or get a long cable and plug it into the network and let windows get the drivers for you.

xRyokenx
05-27-2009, 01:49 AM
I need to try installing it seeing as how I have the 64bit version downloaded. Messy HDD partitions are a nuisance...

Zephik
05-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Or get a long cable and plug it into the network and let windows get the drivers for you.

Thats what I ended up doing and it downloaded the drivers automatically. Sure glad I bought that 40' cable back in the day. The only drivers it didn't DL were the audio ones, but I downloaded the XP ones from Dell and now it works fine.

So far the only issues I'm having with W7 is a bit of freezing up every now and then. Also, video playback is being a bit choppy, but that might be because they're playing from an external. I'll have to transfer them over to the main HDD and see if that helps.

The one feature that I was hoping to see was mouse-over media playback like what you find in Ubuntu where you can mouse over songs and they'll instantly start playing. Would of been a nice touch.

SgtM
05-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Shouldn't have had any trouble with the wireless. It found mine before it even got to the desktop and asked me what I wanted to do with it.