PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Oil cooled case

hogan
01-11-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www17.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/
i thought this was cool and i wanted to share it with all of you. Im not sure weater or not this is the right place to post it, if soo im sorry.:?

Amd Athlon
01-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Let me get this strait, A oil cooled pc?!. What will they think of next!

chris_kalan
01-14-2006, 09:36 PM
This is common science. Oil is not a conductor, so it will not ruin electrical points. The problem is that oil (as you can see from the above article) is just plain ugly. And it is messy as hell, needs a massive pump to keep everything cool, and means it takes tons of time to alter components such as PCI cards, etc.

crenn
01-15-2006, 12:53 AM
IF you're a reader of atomic, you'll find that they did a similar thing... except with mineral oil. Oil Pcs aren't the greatest coolers. Although they don't conduct electricity, they are more dense than water so some components might not work (like fans) under oil, this means that you must reply on the pump to create a 'current' to help cool components.

One last thing, if you ever plan to do somethine like this, work out this, if the substance is heated, will the hotter material rise to the top or the bottom and put your intake (into the radiator) there so it will cool the hottest oil and not the coolest.

ack ack
02-05-2006, 02:07 PM
3M made some kind of inert coolant that could be used like this. Saw an episode of the screen savers that immersed a mobo and cpu and pumped the coolant over the processor . . . back when athlon xp's were primo.

'nother problem with cooking oil: if dirt gets in it can introduce electrolytes and then it could carry a current. mobo+oil+dirt = sauteed mobo w/ a side of fries.

Aero
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
only problem with that 3M stuff is that enough to submerge your PC successfully could cost as much as a top of the line Water cooling setup.

f8l_0e
02-09-2006, 03:24 PM
only problem with that 3M stuff is that enough to submerge your PC successfully could cost as much as a top of the line Water cooling setup.

The stuff is called Fluorinert. And it is terribly expensive, $260/liter.