PDA

View Full Version : Permanently Disabling MS Outlook...

xRyokenx
06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Is there a way to completely get rid of MS Outlook as well as the option to send links, etc.? (For the "send links" I mean the option when you right click on one and it loads up the default email client) I'm currently running Windows XP. Thanks.

BuzzKillington
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Install Thunder Bird. There also may be a regedit to get rid of the "send link" option. Are you accidentally hitting it or something?

xRyokenx
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I'm accidentally hitting it. I hardly ever use email clients (I use Gmail so I don't really see the point, especially since I can put all my various accounts together as one account with multiple addresses). If there's a regedit option to get rid of the "send link" dealio, that would be awesome. Two birds with one stone, just about.

h3moglobe0
06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
For gmail via some browser there are simple hacks.
Opera
Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Programs
If there is mailto protocol edit it and set "Open with other application". Choose Opera and as parameter set gmail.com.

FireFox
Tools>Options>Applications
search for mailto and set to use it Gmail.

Both redirect to gmail site.

There's option to uninstall MS apps via some dedicated software. Your Uninstaller and probably Revo can do this.

Hope this works for ya.
Cheers.

XcOM
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
goto:
c:\windows\send to

delete the outlook link there, simple, asfor removing outlook, goto add/remove programs, and select windows companants, theres an option to remove outlook

xRyokenx
06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I already tried to remove it and the only option it has is to remove the shortcut in the start menu. ><

As to C:\WINDOWS\send to... it's not there.

@h3moglobe0: Thanks for the tips but I don't really want it to send me to gmail either. I really just want the option to send a link to not be there at all. If I ever do want to send a l can always just go to my email and copy the link and send it, lol. Hooray Windows for having unnecessary "features."

h3moglobe0
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Wait.
You mixed it by talki bout MS O and those "send links" and right click( left handed?). I thought you were sayin about mailto things - so when you hit ie melikestostare@bigboobies.com it lunches MSO. After what XcOM I'm lost even more.

Do you mean send links as links to websites, e-mails adresses or "send to" feature? If it's either websites or e-mails I realy doubt that registry could fix it. I think it's apps side to format these adresses to look and work that way.

Altho, if you have guts you can try digg up in registry (and it's about e-mails "links"). Back up before by exporting. Search for mailto.
There are some keys that might do the trick.

HKEY_(CLASSES_ROOT, CURRENT_USER, etc)/Software/Classes/mailto

Try deleting those ( reboot prolly needed). I do not know consequences.

Cheers.

EDIT:
http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/vulninfo/vuln.aspx?id=36160 < first link in google search, seems I can work for MS...

xRyokenx
06-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah that's what I meant, lol. Sorry for being kind of confusing... mah brain is all scrambled 'n' sich. I'll give it a shot in a little while after I eat something, thanks.

zlatan24
02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Is there a way to completely get rid of MS Outlook as well as the option to send links, etc.? (For the "send links" I mean the option when you right click on one and it loads up the default email client) I'm currently running Windows XP. Thanks.
Once I was at my friend's home and saw there an especial tool - opening pst files (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/open_pst_files.html). I answered my friend about it and he told me that the tool solved a lot of his problems with mails and more that. I was interested and used it,I was astonished,because it solved all my problems for seconds and without payment as far as I remember. Moreover I knew how it repairs and opens pst files and pst files open,converts your mailbox to separate files or to a file of PST format. To my mind tool is quite good and easy to use...

billygoat333
02-28-2010, 04:11 AM
ack! zombie thread!