PDA

View Full Version : Maybe i am doing something wrong...

justleftlife
01-12-2006, 03:42 PM
alright so i get a new PSU, mobo, CPU, and HD and i start the computer up and this is what happens:
1: The monitor gets power, then turns off (like when you shut down the computer with out turning of you monitor first)
2: the mouse lights up for a second and then nothing.
3: all the fans turn on and stay on
4: the HD LED turns on and stays on
5: the primary CD ROM turns on and can eject but the secondary wont.
6: I am going to go to absolutly insane because i cant figure this out!!!

Well if anyone has any ideas PLEASE PLEASE let me know
(BTW i am on a limited budget!)

JesDer
01-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Odd ..

No beepcodes or anything?

Normally I would suggest unplugging all drives thenreseating the RAM and videocard. Try to boot it and see if you can get the MB to post. I doubt this will work.

The monitor is most likely not getting a signal. This could be caused by many things. If the MB has onboard video, try using that (unless you already are).

Umm hard to say, what type of hardware are you using?

richmandudeus
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
hmm this sounds familiar...

check this (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18838#post18838) out. (scroll up the page for persons problem) maybe this could help you out. other than that, it sounds like your powersupply can't supply enough power.

OvRiDe
01-12-2006, 10:34 PM
I just had someone drop a computer off yesterday that was doing the almost same thing.. In this case it was the IDE cable was plugged in backwards, as in it was flipped pin 1 on the mobo was going to pin 40 on the CD Rom drive. The cable were keyed but they managed to get tit plugged in wrong. It may not be the same in your case but I would definately try what JesDer said, its worth a shot.

snickells
01-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I'd check the CPU and make sure that its inserted properly.

Smitten
01-13-2006, 12:50 AM
is your mobo a tyan?

reason i ask is i dealt with a very similar issue with one of their dual processor boards. it would power up but nothing would happen, no beepcodes, no display. mine had a POST code readout that kept stopping on the same number. i swapped ram around, removed it to nothing but the powersupply (no ram was a new issue, so was the P/S) come to find out the PCI bus wasnt initializing (that was what the code was telling me). i RMA'ed it for a new one and had the same issue yet again. RMA'ed that for an ASUS and never looked back.

so reasoning this all out and going off the theory that all POST's are relatively the same; Power, CPU, RAM, PCI buses, Drives, slots; your mobo might be bad. you may want to install your devices on another board and benchtest them. also make sure your speaker is connected properly. if not, you wont here nasty beeping sounds to guide you in the right direction.

justleftlife
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Alright here is some more infor on the MOBO, its by a company called shuttle. Its a 478 pin P4/ 533 fsb with on board video, sound, lan. I dont have any speakers hooked up so that could be a reason i am not hereing beep codes ( a dumb mistake on my end) The cpu i have is a celeron d 2.8 533 fsb i know its seated right i have checked that. I am starting to think that the mobo is bad... if thats the case then is the CPU bad as well? or since it is firing up is it okay? i cant really spend alot of money seeing as how i bought the orginal amd 3000+ for $880 so i am really hoping that i can just get it working. the cool thing is i still have a warenty with the mobo!!
RMA'ed that for an ASUS and never looked back maybe i am not thinking but this doesnt look familiar to me could explain more... if there is any more infor please let me know.

dgrmkrp
01-13-2006, 08:45 PM
hmm... i did go through this the first time i installed my pc... and several times after that, in different situations.. last time, i accidentally sat on my LAN card and after i put it in the pci i used it up that moment, the computer wouldnt boot... i kept getting error mesage 25 on the mobo display (i don't connect a speaker intentionally, i hate them beeps).. the problem was the pci initialization.. so, i would go with smitten, and recheck every component on a friends pc... and try your friends components in your pc.. and if nothing works, send it back and ask for something that works flawlessly... just look around, something cheap (or expensive) is out there, with less complaints than other models :)

crenn
01-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Look at the motherboard. Does it have any leaking or bulging capacitors? I've have a problem where my mobo doesn't boot up or give beep codes. I'm going to have to repair it myself, but you can get it fixed under warrenty if that is that case. I'm only saying goodbye to something like AUD$4 (about USD$2.75.... I think)

Frogon
01-13-2006, 11:20 PM
A friend of mine had that problem, he had 2 sticks of RAM, and the 2nd stick was in the wrong RAM slot (the monitor wouldnt work either, weird). He stuck it in the 2nd slot, it belonged in the 3rd slot.. apparently they're color coded but he didn't know it : P

Also, I'd suggest unplugging "extra" things, like, that 2nd stick of RAM, then you figure out what's wrong with it.

justleftlife
01-15-2006, 05:58 PM
well heres what i am going to do... BUY A NEW DAMN COMPUTER! i cant afford to keep getting Mobo's to have them short right the hell out i just want a computer to work!!! and i want it like tomarrow.... but now i have two cases to mod and i can continue to work on them till i get tired of it! GAWD this sucks i wish i didnt have such bad luck!