PDA

View Full Version : Back at the hospital with my Grandmother.

Oneslowz28
06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok once again a little background. In the late 90s she had a double knee replacement. Then in 01 she broke her wrist during a fall and they were reconstructed with rods, screws and plates. 4 months ago she had back surgery where they fused 4 of her disk together. So a good bit of her is titanium and stainless steel.

Fast forward to this morning. she calls me and when I answer the phone she is crying and screaming at the same time. I tell her I am on my way and jump in the truck and haul butt to her house. She had fell getting up out of her bed and on the way to the kitchen. Her right knee was about double the size of her left and she could not bend it. My mother showed up shortly after I did and we tried to get her into her wheel chair she had from the back surgery. We could not do it as she was in too much pain. So I called her neighbors and did not get anyone. I wound up having to call 911 and having the EMS come out. They put her leg into a blow up splint and loaded her up and rushed off to the hp. I took a quick shower and put on some clothes I had in my truck and am now posing once again from the hospital.

They are x-raying her knees, wrist, hips, and back and called in the back surgeon to check her back x-rays. They haven't said what could be wrong but I am willing to bet that she broke something. I have spent way too much time at this hp in the last few months. :(

Eclecticos
06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Man. That horrible. We will keep you and your grandmother in our prayers.

Oneslowz28
06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
thanks Eck

Oneslowz28
06-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Ok shes back home. She just super hyper extended the leg. They put her in a knee brace that immobilizes it which she will have to wear for the next 2 weeks. They did set her up with an Ortho to follow up on everything and to take a second look at the x-rays.

msmrx57
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear that nothing was broken.

Drum Thumper
06-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Good to hear it's not too major. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers.

Oneslowz28
06-22-2009, 11:22 PM
thanks

OvRiDe
06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Wow, glad to hear all is ok. I wish her a speedy recovery!

Oneslowz28
06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Curtis and Thanks to everyone else.

Twigsoffury
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
We put my grandmothers bed and box spring on the floor so she didn't have to fumble around trying to get up and down. sort of makes it wheelchair height. anyways it was just a thought.

Oneslowz28
06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
We put my grandmothers bed and box spring on the floor so she didn't have to fumble around trying to get up and down. sort of makes it wheelchair height. anyways it was just a thought.

That would be a good solution but she has to be in a hospital type bed for the next year due to her back surgery.

Liquid_Scope_99
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Hope she gets to felling better soon

Twigsoffury
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
That would be a good solution but she has to be in a hospital type bed for the next year due to her back surgery.

hmm. some sort of wide step stool or low ramp might also help. as long as the angle isn't to steep.

Hope shes doing well and healing up nicely. Tell her to get alot of sleep. people don't heal as fast when they are awake over when they are asleep. next time you cut your finger measure it before you goto bed and after you wake up. you'll be suprised...

Oneslowz28
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
She had a follow up with another ortho and he ordered an MRI and found a hair line crack so she has to wear a brace for the next 14 weeks

Mark_Hardware
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, glad too hear it wasn't anything too major. Still is no good though, and the stress and constant worry can be tiring. My thoughts are with you my friend. :grouphug - not mine (hey why not I haven't seen it used anywhere else)

Oneslowz28
07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
THanks guys. I am positive she will be ok. This is not her first time round the bases and more than likely wont be her last.

Trace
07-09-2009, 01:12 AM
She sounds like one tough cookie!
She will be in my thoughts.
I wish her a speedy recovery.