PDA

View Full Version : Plastic alright to be spray painted?

aK____
01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey...
Just started my first 'mod' of my computer case. On my job pay it took me a loong time to save up for a computer, and i finally got one, so the first thing i wanted to do was make it look good. Im looking forward to know peoples views and ideas. moving on..my main questions is: the plastic panel at the front of the computer, if i spray it matte black, will the colour stick? or will it scratch off easily. thanks, aK_

OK...i cant figure out how to do photoes..so ill jus put a link to my msn space..

http://spaces.msn.com/members/aK2oo5/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaHandler=TWlj cm9zb2Z0LlNwYWNlcy5XZWIuUGFydHMuUGhvdG9BbGJ1bS5FZG l0TW9kZUNvbnRyb2xsZXI%24&_c11_PhotoAlbum_albumid=cns!1pkS6R-raYUMhPZMU5hReyzQ!105&_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaReturnToFull=1&_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaProcess=1&_c=PhotoAlbum&_c02_owner=1

if u get into that..u should be able to view some of my projects ive worked on.

thanks..

AceX
01-20-2006, 01:37 AM
do a light sanding with 600grit sand paper and then do VERY light coats of paint, and you should be fine. By VERY light coats, I mean VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY light coats. Almost let the overspray do the job... Should take about 4 of these light coats before you cover the entire face completely. After that, go at it with a few light coats of color.

aK____
01-20-2006, 01:41 AM
by light sprays..i hold the can about 30cm from the cover and spray quickly before letting it dry? and i do this a few times? is there something i can spray over later to protect the surface? thanks, aK_

AceX
01-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Probably closer to 25~28cm from the surface. Just do a very light coat. It shouldn't cover over the first coat, meaning that if it were a white face being painted black, you should still be able to see some white through the black paint. By the third coat, it should all be covered and no white showing. I would do a fourth coat for good measure and to help even out the color a little. After that, do two light coats of color, holding the can about 18-22cm away from the surface. After the two coats of color (maybe add a light third coat for the same reason as the previous layer of paint) add 2-3 coats of clear. This should protect the pint and give it a nice shine.

My next case is going to be completely transformed via paint and some bondo and a little acrylic. I will do a very long and very detailed explanation of the painting process because I'm going to be using color shifting paints for many areas.

aK____
01-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the reply, but being the novice that i am..i still have questions :rolleyes: . ok, so after the 4 colours of black, you say to do 2 coats with colour. what do u mean? more black? or red or something, im not really following. sorry for the trouble, thanks, aK_

PS: "clear" spray, so hairspray or something? or is there actually clear spray paint....

FX
01-22-2006, 04:58 AM
It's called Clear Coat, it's a finishing spray that goes over top of paint work to protect and deepen the shine. You should be able to pick it up at any hardware store that sells paint. It comes in a spray can. When using it, spray it on, not too thick, but make sure you get coverage. When it's dried completely, do a light sand with a 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper, and wipe it down with a damp cloth to get rid of dust. This will help sand out any imperfections and bumps in the finish. Once you've got it wiped down, re-spray another coat and do the same thing.

The more coats of clear you put on it, the deeper the shine will be. Follow up with a good waxing with an automotive wax and your shine should be showroom finish.

aK____
01-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the help, im just waiting to get a chance to go buy some spray paint, then i should be on my way.. thanks.
aK__:)

Malatory
01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Also Clean the plastic with TSP 1st or some thing to removed the mold releasing agent that they used when making it.

also if you can get the krylon Fuson it works better on plastic and wont chip as easy as normal spray paint.

aK____
01-22-2006, 10:02 PM
TSP is a acid or something? i dont really know what it is. After 2 layers of clear coat, will normal spray paint still be alright rather than Krylon Fuson? thanks..

Malatory
01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
TSP is a cleaner.

If you used normal spray paint already then just hope that it doesnt crack / peal off the plastic.

AceX
01-23-2006, 03:11 AM
True that. I use acetone 70 to clean of my stuff. Just got to be careful with it, and you're good :D