PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake TR2-R1, or bad paste?

Will
07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a 2nd hand Visionman-built PC. It's one of those ugly X-Blade cases, but I'm working on fixing that...

Anyhow, it has an Athlon 64 x2 3.0GHz with the TR2-R1 heatsink and fan. Tiger has this for $20 right now. All of the "reviews" claim that it's quiet and cools well.

It's quiet for sure, but I don't know about cooling well. PC Probe reports idle temps in the mid 40s after letting it run for a while. It will run up over 60C when I'm playing Crysis, after about 30 minutes.

The case had three 80mm fans: front, rear, and side. I replaced the front and rear with 120mm fans. There was a slight improvement. Eventually I took the sides off and tried that for a few days, and there was no improvement. So I feel like there's plenty of airflow through the case.

So, what's next? Replace the paste? Or is there a chance that I'm testing this wrong? :think:

Last night I moved the front 120mm up into the 5.25 area and put a spare 80mm back in the low spot. This will put more direct flow past the CPU. I'll test it tonight.

blueonblack
07-10-2009, 03:59 AM
I had that same cooler on an Athlon FX-62 for several months without any performance problems, though I didn't record any temps during that period. If you have some better off-brand paste on hand I'd try it, I've had very good luck with Tuniq's TX-2 compound.