PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion

Pages : [1] 2

Oneslowz28
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
So I never have been into the WOW / Magic / knights etc type games. Always been a die hard FPS, racing, sports and GTA fan. I was in wal-mart today and noticed they has Oblivion the complete collection on clearence for $10 so I grabbed it. My question is, Is it any fun?

Will
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I haven't played it but...

I think Fallout 3 is from the same studio and it's kickass. It's more like GTA than WOW, IMO. LOL BRB WTF FTW.

I bet there's some gameplay vids on YouTube.

Oneslowz28
07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I just installed it. We will see if this old 7300gs can handle it. If not, this will make game #3 I have bought and not been able to play since my 8800gts burnt up.

x88x
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series (though I only started with Morrowind), so I highly recommend it. I will occasionally loose a weekend because I started playing it, and completely forgot about everything else (you know, eating, sleeping...going outside...). I originally ran Oblivion on an AGP Radeon X800XT AIW, and it ran ok at 1280x1024 with most of the settings up fairly high, but with no AA and practically no shadows. So it might be ok on your 7300, but it definitely won't be as beautiful as it could be otherwise.

Killa_Ape
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I also recommend getting some mods for it like unofficial patches and the such. I enjoyed the game but I like RPGs and how open it is. Also pick skills carefully you don't want acrobatics as a major skill (well for most people).

x88x
07-08-2009, 04:20 PM
you don't want acrobatics as a major skill (well for most people).

Heehee, or so you think :whistler:

Seriously though, Killa_Ape's right; make sure you pick a good starting skillset for the character/combat type you want to use. With my main Oblivion char, I set everything up for a heavy brawler, then got fed up with having to carry all the heavy armor around all the time, and switched to light armor...I never did get my light-armor skill up as high as my heavy was....

Zephik
07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Visually, Oblivion is pretty awesome. Gameplay wise, its... fun, but not super addicting or anything. It can be pretty challenging sometimes and can take a lot of time to do just a few things. I recommend cheat codes if you get bored. lol

I love the Elder Scrolls series though. Morrowind was probably the most addicting game I've ever played aside from WoW. That game was EXPANSIVE like there was no tomorrow and there is always something to do.

"Finishing" an Elder Scrolls game is only a pretty small part of playing those kinds of games. I almost never finish them just because you can do so much else and its insanely easy to get distracted.

Personally, I think WoW is a hundred times more fun than Oblivion or Morrowind though. I can't imagine a game more fun and addicting for that genre. Totally worth the 15 a month imo. Especially if you split it with a friend(s).

xRyokenx
07-08-2009, 04:33 PM
www.tesnexus.com

Mod the **** out of it or you'll get bored really fast.

Zephik
07-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Pro-tip: Jump, Jump and then Jump some more. That's always one of the first things I do. Its a very handy skill to level and its easy to level, just jump whenever you can, which is always.

Heavy armor is plentiful in the game, while good lightweight armor is a bit tougher to find. Its worth if you can find it, but I usually just stick with heavy since daedric is everywhere and glass armor is a bit rare. You want to level endurance(?) so you can carry a lot though, since heavy limits how much you can carry quite a bit.

Weapons don't matter too much so just pick whatever. You'll probably change every other second anyways. I usually do. I stick to mostly battle axes and swords though.

x88x
07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Strength is the main contributing attribute that determines how much you can carry.

Oneslowz28
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I have only had enough time to get about an hour in so far. IT seems like its going to be fun.

xRyokenx
07-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I really wish that the environment was more varied in this game. There's no deserts, tropical places, or any of that stuff. It almost feels like being home in NC only with zombies, lol.

But it is a pretty sweet game. I'd like to see Morrowind remade in one of their newer engines.

NightrainSrt4
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
If you are not one to constantly want to skill max, then I suggest picking up one of the always+5 mods. It makes it so while on your journey if you level a skill, its attribute will be +5 when you rest to level. That way you dont have to go out of your way grinding skills just to get a +5 instead of a +1 or +2 in it.

Made the game much more enjoyable to me. All this talk is making me want to play it, but instead I grabbed up Neverwinter Nights 1, as I picked up Hordes of The Underdark for 1$ at Microcenter. =)

xRyokenx
07-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a mod called "Galerion Leveling" or something like that... it adds points to your attributes as you level skills up that use that attribute a couple times. Seems to make it much more realistic. Oh, and you can choose three +1 attribute things when you level.

Oneslowz28
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
this game is turning out to be awesome. why did you guys not force m to play it before now?

Kayin
07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Can't force this stuff...

Get the Shivering Isles, now that's hilarious.

Zephik
07-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Gotta love the Shivering Isles.

Oneslowz28
07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I have the complete set. It is the Game of the year edition with shivering isles and knights of nine.

I got stuck last night. A knight on a horse kept killing me.

x88x
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I have the complete set. It is the Game of the year edition with shivering isles and knights of nine.

I got stuck last night. A knight on a horse kept killing me.

Hahaha, did you piss off a guard? :D

I'd definitely recommend installing at least some of the Knights of Nine additions. They're just nice to have, like armor for your horse (if/when you actually use a horse...I rarely ever do) and spellbooks.

xRyokenx
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
You guys are making me want to play Oblivion again. I'll have to figure out what was up with my install and try playing it again.

Oneslowz28
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
what do you mean installing additions? I installed the shivering isles and nights of nine dvd. Am I missing something?

xRyokenx
07-09-2009, 05:11 PM
They released a bunch of small addon pack things that added various things from spell tomes to horse armor to new houses and whatnot online and these things supposedly came with the Knights of the Nine expansion pack. Check the data files thing in the Oblivion launcher and see if it has the spell tomes and whatnot in the list.

x88x
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
All the officially released add-ons are in the Knights of the Nine pack. What others were referring to are the unofficial player-created add-ons that have been posted on various websites around the net.

Oneslowz28
07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
maybe we should start a link list here of the best from around the net.

Zephik
07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Damn. I installed Oblivion and it worked fine for awhile, but then I started getting random blue screens of death. What a bunch of lame. oh well.

x88x
07-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Grr, this thread made me want to play again....but it keeps dying on me :*( Anyone else having issues in Windows 7 RC x64? Or with an Asus Xonar (DX)?

Oneslowz28
07-11-2009, 02:45 AM
plated for 4 hours tonight. Killed a guard on accident while fighting with an ogre so I decided to take his armor and now I get harassed every time I come across a guard. I did make it to lvl 2 though!!! LMAO

Zephik
07-11-2009, 03:54 AM
plated for 4 hours tonight. Killed a guard on accident while fighting with an ogre so I decided to take his armor and now I get harassed every time I come across a guard. I did make it to lvl 2 though!!! LMAO

It took me like an entire week just to get to level 2. You're making good time! ...although, that could of been because I wanted to explore more than anything. lol

The boogey man is going to visit you in your sleep eventually. Thats all I'm saying. ;) ;P

x88x
07-11-2009, 10:17 AM

O_o you killed a guard at level 1?? Are you cheating? :P

xRyokenx
07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, it takes waaaay too long to level at times. I lost a save game that was around level 15 or so (took me quite a while to get there) with good gear and whatnot and lost interest in the game. The start should be way faster.

Oneslowz28
07-11-2009, 03:38 PM
It took me like an entire week just to get to level 2. You're making good time! ...although, that could of been because I wanted to explore more than anything. lol

The boogey man is going to visit you in your sleep eventually. Thats all I'm saying. ;) ;P

He has already visited me. I accepted. :whistler:

O_o you killed a guard at level 1?? Are you cheating? :P No, Him and the guard had been fighting for a good 5 min before I decided to step in. I swung my sword at the ogre and the guard stepped in between us and got hit in the back. I still had to kill the ogre and a few fire balls took care of him.

Yeah, it takes waaaay too long to level at times. I lost a save game that was around level 15 or so (took me quite a while to get there) with good gear and whatnot and lost interest in the game. The start should be way faster.
Funny thing is that I thought it was automatic and did not know about sleeping. The little icon was there for like 2 hours before I bought a bed in an Inn.

I do appreciate the 15 extra spaces to carry stuff. It was getting hard to do anything without having to remove items. I then found a town I could sell stuff in and got it down to 70 that I was still carrying.

Zephik
07-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not gonna lie, the Imperial Armor (with a red hood) looks pretty sweet on my character. muahahahaha :twisted:

xRyokenx
07-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I didn't notice the icon for a while, as well. Now it sits there and annoys me. I kind of like how it works in Fallout 3 more... you level up right when you get the experience and it shows a bar.

Oneslowz28
07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Am I getting harassed whenever I try to enter a town because I have stolen items on me? Its getting old. I am trying to join the Fighters guild and can not do anything for guards trying to kill me.

xRyokenx
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
It's probably because you killed a guard. If you hit F1 and go to the tab all the way on the right you will see that you have a bounty for some reason. Odds are it will be 1k as you killed someone. If you accidentally hit someone and they start attacking you, they may yield if you hold up your shield/block with your weapon and try to talk to them.

Oneslowz28
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I see.
< only has $456 gold right now. Oh well.

xRyokenx
07-11-2009, 09:07 PM
You could also stay in jail but some of your skills would drop.

Zephik
07-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Just spend some time in jail, its not that bad the first offense I think. Just a couple points taken here and there and maybe on skills that you don't even use.

You could also cheat. But I advise against it because it really does ruin the game. The only cheat I ever use is the money cheat. Makes it a bit easier without taking away too much from the game. Still more fun without though I think. I've played the game too many times to care now though. lol

xRyokenx
07-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, once you know the codes they're too simple to forget. I just wish there were a way to set up a custom game to start at a higher level and whatnot. There's a mod/addon I would LOVE to see, so that I don't have to play through the same crap constantly.

Zephik
07-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Woot! Level 3 Wood Elf Custom Battlemage (Major Skills: Blade, Heavy Armor, Restoration, Destruction, Acrobatics, Athletics, and one other that I can't remember. lol)

Oneslowz28
07-12-2009, 12:27 AM
you guys are making me want to play more tonight. :(

xRyokenx
07-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I really wish they made this game (and many others) with a cooperative multiplayer feature. That would really make me play it more.

Oneslowz28
07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
but wouldnt it be like WOW then? never played a single second of WOW

xRyokenx
07-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Well, WoW isn't really a game because it's not fun, lol. Oblivion is significantly different from WoW, and I'm thinking more like a multiplayer mode of at most four people playing the same game. I dunno. I just don't like the whole competitive multiplayer aspect of games. I don't enjoy it very much.

Zephik
07-12-2009, 01:21 AM
but wouldnt it be like WOW then? never played a single second of WOW

It would be like an advanced version of WoW. Personally, I like WoW more. Its not nearly as realistic or as aesthetically stunning, but its just fun. In some areas WoW is actually more advanced than Oblivion. Like the ability to make your own armor or weapons, or the sheer variety of everything. The list goes on and on, WoW is intensely immersive, much more than even Oblivion. Thats why I was sucked into it for.. jeez. I don't even know. Multiple years of playing at least 10 hours a week and sometimes 10 hours a day. WoW isn't just a game, its a change of lifestyle for many. I'm glad I stopped playing and finally got bored of it, I was going no where fast. WoW Crack indeed. lol

If they made an Oblivion MMO.. lol man I don't even know. The lag would be crazy just in the simple areas. It would be fun though, to see other people and join up for quests, etc etc. Thats the best part of WoW is the social interaction. But they would have to make the game MUCH bigger to accommodate people. WoW is probably 50 times bigger than Oblivion. lol

Oneslowz28
07-12-2009, 01:35 AM
I see.

xRyokenx
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
An MMO would be interesting... but I was thinking more of smaller network or online games for people that prefer cooperative over crazy-ass kill-each-other chaos, lol.

Killa_Ape
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
They are making an Oblivion MMO supposedly....I remember hearing about it a year or 2 back they were working on it, no idea if they still are and too lazy to google right now ;p

Zephik
07-12-2009, 04:42 PM
They are making an Oblivion MMO supposedly....I remember hearing about it a year or 2 back they were working on it, no idea if they still are and too lazy to google right now ;p

Yea there are a few rumors going around. The MMO is supposed to be called Destiny's End and there is another rumor that says there will be an Elder Scrolls 5 called Shadow Realm. I think its all basically vaporware though. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised by an Elder Scrolls 5. It just takes a long time to develop games like these.

x88x
07-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, they do have a long time between games; between Morrowind and Oblivion it was about 4 years....so with that timeline, a 2010 release of the Elder Scrolls 5 sounds about right.

Personally I'm holding out hope that eventually Bethesda will make an ES MMO covering the entire continent of Tamriel. The lore is already there, they just need to make the stupidly huge game :D

@Oneslowz28:
The first time in jail really isn't bad, you get a small hit to some of your stats, but it's not as big a problem on the lower levels. The thing you have to worry about more is if you have any stolen stuff, you won't get it back when you get out.
Alternatively, I forget which, it's either the Thieves Guild or the Assassin's Guild, has agents who can get rid of your bounty for a fee.
If you do go to jail, you get to keep one lockpick, so if you're good enough you can actually break out, sneak up, grab your stuff, and sneak out. To get past the guard at the very end though, you have to either have an insanely high sneak skill or have an invisibility ring or spell.

btw, incase anyone else was having the issue with Oblivion crashing, I found out that it was the Xonar control panel thing. I uninstalled that, then loaded the Xonar driver manually, and it's working just fine now.

Zephik
07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Are there any mods that open up the surrounding lands? Man it sucks to be traveling around and then have a message say you can't go any further. Whats the point of having these huge lands on the map when you can't even travel to them? lol

xRyokenx
07-12-2009, 08:40 PM
There was this awesome project that converted Morrowind's data to where it works for Oblivion, but Bethesda shut it down. For some reason they really don't want people making content from other games to work in with current ones, or something. I really didn't understand their reasoning behind it.

Zephik
07-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe they plan on doing it themselves? That would the AWESOME. Everything re-done to oblivion standards would be insane. Although if it takes about 4 years for each game... that's about... a lot. lol

It would take forever to get anywhere too, but hey, no different than WoW.

Just watched the original Morrowind trailer. L.O.L. Man we've come a long way. Still pretty impressive though, especially for its time.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2217441/official_elder_scrolls_3_morrowind_trailer/

Bethesda always creates the most insanely moving and impressive sound tracks too.

Killa_Ape
07-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't know if this was already posted in the thread and didn't feel like going back and reading all the pages but elderscrolls 2 daggerfall is a free download now:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

Oneslowz28
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I have been fighting in the arena. Moved up 5 ranks so far. Its an easy way to make $$.

Zephik
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Probably a good way to level too.

Oneslowz28
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Lvl 3 and only about 7 hours playing time

x88x
07-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I don't know if this was already posted in the thread and didn't feel like going back and reading all the pages but elderscrolls 2 daggerfall is a free download now:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm

If they follow the trend that they did with Arena, and that I think I remember seeing them stating at some point, at the 10-year anniversary of each game it becomes free.

Will
07-13-2009, 12:20 PM
After reading this thread again, I think I'll have to find this game. It sounds a lot like Fallout 3 as far as the gameplay. I just watched this review also: Link to Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5410922952841403537&ei=b11bSon_BYTvlQfp3JH8Bw&q=elder+scrolls+oblivion&hl=en)

x88x
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
After reading this thread again, I think I'll have to find this game. It sounds a lot like Fallout 3 as far as the gameplay. I just watched this review also: Link to Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5410922952841403537&ei=b11bSon_BYTvlQfp3JH8Bw&q=elder+scrolls+oblivion&hl=en)

Fallout 3 was actually made by the same studio, using the same engines, so yeah, it probably is rather similar. I got Fallout 3 last week, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet; it was crashing, so I decided to play Oblivion instead, then it was crashing too...obviously... :facepalm: and by the time I fixed the problem, I was hooked on Oblivion again....I spent about 12 hours straight playing it yesterday....stupid BethSoft, making too awesome games... maybe it's a good thing that they haven't made an MMO yet :P

Oneslowz28
07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Yea I thhought I only had about 7 hours total ingame but its more like 13... LMAO. Its amazing how well I multi task. I have managed to play oblivion every day of the week since I bought it, still keep up with my duties on here and finish editing the back log of photos I had piled up. WOW players must be completely unable to multi task. Well the ones who lose their Jobs, get divorces because of the game anyway.

x88x
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
You also can't pause WoW..... :whistler:

xRyokenx
07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
...or load a save because you messed up and spent gold you shouldn't have. :rolleyes:

x88x
07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
or because you underestimated a monster....

xRyokenx
07-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Nor can you go into the console, click on the guy that's harassing you, type "kill" and be done with the entity that happens to be killing you over and over and over.

Zephik
07-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm assuming this is a glitch. I loaded my last save and all my stuff was gone. Then I noticed I was invisible. So then I loaded from a previous save and all was fine, except I was a level less than I was before. ...and then I went inside a building, and attempted to leave the building and my computer decided to BSOD. Only game I know that can cause a BSOD for no real reason.

xRyokenx
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM
There was a glitch that I had trouble with when I had my 8500GT where it would completely black out the screen if I looked in a certain direction on interior levels. It was quite odd.

x88x
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
There was a glitch that I had trouble with when I had my 8500GT where it would completely black out the screen if I looked in a certain direction on interior levels. It was quite odd.

I'm having that same problem with my GTX260. I think it's a bug with the driver not reading the environment light sources correctly, because when I switch to 3rd person mode it sometimes fixes it, and when I pull out a torch it always fixes it...only problem is that most of the time when it happens I really do not want to be pulling out a torch...

xRyokenx
07-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I think it's an issue to do with nVidia drivers. Ever since I upgraded to my new card, an ATi HD 3870, I haven't had any issues like that whatsoever.

Oneslowz28
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Running it on a 7300GS and no problems so far. will be running it on a 8800 gts by next week Then again I only get 1-2 bsod a year from xp and only 1 ever from vista

Zephik
07-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Woot! Level 7 and now I own a castle, some other weird place that I haven't been to yet and a place where the original worshipers of sithis resided, even before the black hand. Its as southern as you can go on the map. And it comes with my very own minion! Sweet!

x88x
07-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Woot! Level 7 and now I own a castle, some other weird place that I haven't been to yet and a place where the original worshipers of sithis resided, even before the black hand. Its as southern as you can go on the map. And it comes with my very own minion! Sweet!

:facepalm: ...and...I just realized that I don't know Cyrodiil anywhere near as well as I knew Vvardenfell... because I didn't even know I could get a castle :*(

Zephik
07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
This is the first time I've been able to get a castle. I started the game and a quest instantly started telling me that I had to go and defeat a bunch of baddies bombarding the castle and if I did, I got to keep it.

I keep forgetting to check the land/place I inherited too. That quest popped up right after the castle quest. Same with the black hand-ish place way way far down south at the brink of ocean and land. Can't remember what its called.

Oneslowz28
07-14-2009, 01:07 AM
I spent the last hour fighting the last series of fights in the arena. I am now grand champion. Now to complete some more quest.

Zephik
07-14-2009, 01:58 AM
I spent the last hour fighting the last series of fights in the arena. I am now grand champion. Now to complete some more quest.

What all do you get from doing that? Any good items or just gold or?

Oneslowz28
07-14-2009, 02:15 AM
I got a awesome set of armor (your choice of heavy or light) about 8k in gold total and thats about it. every one was easy as crap to beat too. even the last guy the "grand champ" begged me to kill him. Tip: do his quest before you fight him.

Zephik
07-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Well I have my difficulty turned up a notch or two, so hopefully it won't be too easy. lol no fun if its too easy. :p

Oneslowz28
07-14-2009, 03:47 AM
I have my difficulty turned up a bit too.

Zephik
07-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Man, I actually had to turn my difficulty down a tad. It would probably help if I knew where to get more health potions or a better health spell, I can't keep up now without getting hacked to death. But I got past the twins and then a bit later the dark elf. Hit the third ranking, whatever thats called and leveled two times so far. That's worth its wait in gold alone! Pretty good for an hours work.

Oneslowz28
07-14-2009, 05:19 AM
what weapon are you using?
I have been using a Steel Sword and will usually hit my opponent 4 or 5 times with a fire ball before attacking with the sword.

I need a decent quest to do now. Any suggestions?

Zephik
07-14-2009, 06:23 AM
I've been using a 2 Damage Dagger with a 5 Fire Spell Damage Enchant that I picked up from a goon somewhere. I mostly use my One Handed Fine Steel Sword though, which does 5 or 6 damage, something like that. Boy those daggers are quick though, just too bad the enchant doesn't last very long before you have to go get it recharged, that's why I save it for the tough guys.

Go to Camp Ale. I can't remember where it is, its more northwestern than anything though I believe. I think its over by that first Fort place, where the first oblivion gate is. But anyways, thats where I got all my inheritance and other quests. You collect all the dwarven artifacts from bandits in that area, then you take it to the city to the mage district and it unlocks this area and this machine that can grant you different major powers depending on the moon cycle. Its a pretty simple quest with some pretty good items from the bandits, a bit of gold too if I remember, although not much. Its mainly about the enchanted items and the dwarven pieces.

Zephik
07-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Here is a link.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Camp_Ales

x88x
07-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Huh, I guess I never hit that corner of Cyrodiil.

@Oneslowz28: For good quests, join guilds. You'll hit a lot of crap quests at first, but once you advance a little, you'll start getting fun really fun quests, and really nice items.

Another source of quests is the Daedric Shrines scattered around the wilderness. They usually have weird requirements before they'll let you start, but you get sweet stuff as rewards.

@Zephik: For refilling enchanted weapons, look into soul-trapping monsters. It lets you fill up your weapons on the cheap once you get the spell, especially if you use soul gems you find or steal. Alternately, you could use Varla stones, which will each one completely refill an enchanted item, regardless of capacity, but I wouldn't really recommend that since they go for 1000 Septims each, and are pretty rare...there's generally only one in each Ayleid ruin.

@everyone fighting with such low-level stuff in the Arena....seriously, go crawl some dungeons. My current char is only up to level 11, but I've already found a whole bunch of expensive, and sometimes enchanted, Dwarven weapons, Magic Staffs, and even some Orcish armor (crazy expensive, like, a full suit runs about 3500 Septims). I've sold most of it because I'm going for light-armor, hand-to-hand with this char, but with previous chars I've done, the best weapons and armor that I've had was always either dungeon crawling or quests.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this before, but, if while you're wandering the wilderness, doing dungeon crawls, if you happen to contract Poryphic Hemophilia...fun things can happen... :twisted:

Zephik
07-14-2009, 08:49 PM
So.... remember that place I inherited but kept forgetting to check out? Yea, I checked it out.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Frostcrag_Spire

:banana:

Most freaking awesome place ever! I have my own mages tower! And it is LOADED with goodies.

Highly recommended!

Oneslowz28
07-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Dude thats pretty sweet. I have been running around doing Some of the quest for the Dark brotherhood.

x88x
07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
So.... remember that place I inherited but kept forgetting to check out? Yea, I checked it out.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Frostcrag_Spire

:banana:

Most freaking awesome place ever! I have my own mages tower! And it is LOADED with goodies.

Highly recommended!

Oooh, that makes me feel a bit better. It's part of one of the Knights of the Nine add-ons, not the base game. Still, pretty awesome. I remember when i got my first mage's tower in Morrowind...yay for no stairs :D

As a side note, I ran into a problem again last night that I had hit before but never figured out. If you have an autosave that crashes the game when you try to load it, go to the save games directory, get rid of autosave.ess and rename autosave.bak to autosave.ess Just thought I'd throw that up here incase anyone has a similar problem since I know I've hit it before, and only yesterday found the solution.

Oneslowz28
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
9 pages for a 3 - 4 year old game. The original thread only went a few pages.

Anyone know where to buy a glass sword from?

Zephik
07-16-2009, 12:38 AM

I'm on page 18. I can't remember if I changed my account settings or not... :think:

I'm not sure if you can buy one in Oblivion, I knew you could in Morrowind, but only toward the endish of the game and by that time, you could sometimes find them.

There is a level requirement for certain items, but I can't remember what it is. Probably sometime around 15 and then much more often around 20. Give or a take a few levels.

I've been using dwarven lately, its heavy but does more damage than anything else I can currently get. I found a ton of dwarven stuff on the mehrunez razor quest, which is a pretty sweet dagger. It has the ability to banish daedra on strike. There was also a bunch of pretty good enchanted equipment throughout the quest.

When it first came out, I ran it using a Radeon X300SE graphics card. lol crazy how far we've come. Even back then that card was pretty much meh. 4 pixel pipelines I believe. lol

x88x
07-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh, you think that's impressive, let's start a Morrowind thread. If it weren't for Oblivion, I might still be playing that game. :D

Hurrah for the Elder Scrolls, some of the most long-lasting (non-MMO) games in existence.

I don't know of a vendor off the top of my head who would have glass stuff for sale, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you have to ask, you probably wouldn't be able to afford it yet anyways. There's no level requirement on weapons in Oblivion, but it would probably run you around 3k Septims, and that's with a vendor you're on really good terms with (iirc the actual value of a glass longsword is around 2k). However, since the NPCs level with you, once you hit level 25-30 or so, you'll be swimming in the things. What level is your char at? Once you hit 20, I would highly recommend doing Boethia's quest; Goldbrand (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Goldbrand) is one of the best swords in the game. It's the second most powerful in raw damage, passed by Umbra (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Umbra_(sword))...which is in the possession of...well, Umbra (anyone who knows the lore of Umbra knows what I'm talking about :P for those who don't, go here (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Umbra_(person))), in some random Aylied ruin somewhere. I think it might be near the Imperial city somewhere.

Actually, you know what, just go and try killing Umbra. Save beforehand though, because she'll probably kick your ass. ..unless you use the tips on the char page linked to... :whistler:

Also, as is noted on the char page, her armor is leveled, so if you're below level 15 when you kill her, you'll only get armor equivalent in strength to Orcish armor, but if you kill her at or above 15, you'll get armor equivalent in strength to Ebony armor.

Zephik
07-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I liked umbra's sword much more in Morrowind than in Oblivion for some reason.

Oneslowz28
07-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I have about 8k gold right now. At lvl 4. I havent had much time to play this week. I need to do something that will bost my intellegence. Its the lowest out of all my attributes. IIRC its around 34 lmao

Zephik
07-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Just cast spells as often as you can. That should raise it faster than using your magic only when you need it.

Oneslowz28
07-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Some of these dark brotherhood quest are HARD. I think I am going to do the quest you did to get the castle and mages tower.

Zephik
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Some of these dark brotherhood quest are HARD. I think I am going to do the quest you did to get the castle and mages tower.

If you think that's hard, don't even attempt Mehrunes Razor. lol that quest was crazy, I have to admit I cheated a bit to finish it. :p

~ <-- hit that key to open console, then click a baddie and type kill. Its great for a pinch, however, you don't level up at all by using it so I advise only using it for pinches where you're about to die and have no other options.

Also, concerning intelligence and thus total magicka...

Players interested in maximizing their magicka will want to select an Altmer (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Altmer) with the atronach (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:The_Atronach) birthsign. Further enhancements are possible by:

Enchanting every item with Fortify Magicka (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fortify_Magicka) Transcendent Sigil Stones (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Sigil_Stone#Fortify_Magicka) (+50 Magicka). This is the most powerful possible custom Fortify Magicka enchantment. Nine enchanted items can be worn simultaneously, yielding +450 Magicka.
The level 25+ Necromancer's Amulet (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Necromancer%27s_Amulet) can be worn in place of one custom enchantment. This amulet fortifies Magicka by 130 points and fortifies intelligence (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fortify_Intelligence) by 14 points.
Possessing the Scales of Pitiless Justice (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Scales_of_Pitiless_Justice), which adds two points to your intelligence.
Waiting until your Intelligence is at 100 to do the Hermaeus Mora (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Hermaeus_Mora) Daedric quest, allows you to get your base intelligence to 110. All combined, these would yield a total Magicka of 1032, which is the highest constant effect amount possible in the game without any mods. Higher values are temporarily possible by also using potions, Doomstone (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Magical_Stones) powers, scrolls, and/or spells.

How awesome would it be to have 1032 magicka?? lol (I have about 140 at the moment with mage birthsign. I'm also level 10. <- I level fast because I picked things that I use constantly. Like destruction, restoration, athletics, acrobatics, blade and heavy armor. Since I use those ALL the time, I level pretty mad fast. I only have probably about 5 or 6 hours of game time.)

xRyokenx
07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Zephik, you really know how to play Oblivion, lol. Makes me want to play again, but I has not the time.

Oneslowz28
07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Playing now!!

Zephik
07-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Playing now!!

I'll meet you there! ...oh wait... no I won't, because apparently we're the only geniuses who have thought about an Oblivion Lan Mod before. Sigh...

SOMEONE OUT THERE, FIGURE THIS OUT. lol

How freaking awesome would that be?? We could join up for quests, gang up on some ultra tough baddies, split the loot, etc etc.

Oneslowz28
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
That would be awesome. I would have to make a new character. I want to make a new one anyway. Now that I know my way around and can better even my skills out.

xRyokenx
07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
I saw a multiplayer (LAN, not MMORPG bull****) mod a while back but I don't think it really went anywhere.

Zephik
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
This would not be a good game for MMO. lol. Keep it to like 25 people per server max and I'd be happy.

I think I finally figured out the BSOD issue I keep having. I felt my laptop and it was basically on fire. Nothing I can do about it, its basically suspended in air so I don't know why its overheating so badly. The settings aren't even that high and I really don't want to lower them anymore. I think its a radeon 9600/9700 go or something. Plenty of power, just way too much heat.

As for the wizards tower I inherited, I discovered that if I go near this table top flame next to all the alchemy supplies, it will boost my alchemy skill while I'm near it. Pretty cool. Too bad I never use alchemy. lol

I did a level ten quest, can't remember which. But it gave me a pretty cool shield.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Spell_Breaker

I'm also the leader of a pirate gang now called "The Black Flag". I can send them out to pillage and in a week's time they'll come back with 1k gold. Sweet!

Zephik
07-16-2009, 11:43 PM
You know how crazy The Elder Scrolls is? They have their own lore and history, and its detailed. Pretty fun/interesting read if you have the time or you're bored.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Gods

x88x
07-17-2009, 12:04 AM
You know how crazy The Elder Scrolls is? They have their own lore and history, and its detailed. Pretty fun/interesting read if you have the time or you're bored.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Gods

Yeah, in Morrowind, there were actual libraries... One of the central libraries had probably about 20 or so bookshelves, each having probably around 40-50 books on it....and they were all unique....and most (that I read) were at least 10 pages.

Zephik
07-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Current special equipment:

Boots of Jument
Bladeturn Hood
Hands of the Atronach
Pentamic Loop
Spell Breaker

I can't find a dwarven cuirass (most of my equipment is either dwarven or looks it) for the life of me though! As soon as I can find one, I'll enchant it with one of my grand soul gems or Azura's Star once I come across it.

Does anyone know what gives you a grand class soul? I can summon a fire atronach and a ice atronach, will either of those work? or are they just greater class?

Also, where is a good place to get salts? Like fire and ice or whatever that other one is? Thats the only way I can summon atronachs.

Oneslowz28
07-19-2009, 02:16 AM
I started a new character a high elf mage. I have been finding lots of salts in the mages guilds. Check the book shelves in the skingrad guild. there is a book worth $3k

x88x
07-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I can't find a dwarven cuirass (most of my equipment is either dwarven or looks it) for the life of me though! As soon as I can find one, I'll enchant it with one of my grand soul gems or Azura's Star once I come across it.

What level are you? If you're 10-14, just go crawl some dungeons. If you run into people, they'll probably be wearing Dwarven stuff. If you're 15+, they'll start having Ebony stuff instead.

Does anyone know what gives you a grand class soul? I can summon a fire atronach and a ice atronach, will either of those work? or are they just greater class?

Unfortunately, uesp.net is down atm, so I can't get the link, but they have a chart of the various monsters and what level souls they have. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you could fire up the TES Construction Set (http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_utilities.htm) and find out for yourself ;P

Also, where is a good place to get salts? Like fire and ice or whatever that other one is? Thats the only way I can summon atronachs.

The most reliable way to get salts is by killing atronachs. Fire have fire salts, Ice have ice salts, and Storm have void salts.

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 01:20 PM
W00T lvl 12 and only 7 hours playing time on the new character. Now I need to edit some photos.

Zephik
07-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Niiice. I killed Umbra and took all of her equipment. I now have Full Ebony + Umbra's Sword. The sword is awesome and pretty strong, but the armor is only a bit better than Dwarven. I think I'll try to get full Orcish now, not really sure if its any better though. I just don't really like the way Ebony looks. Still wearing my Dwarven boots though. Gotta love that, like, 65 points Feather constant effect enchant. Definitely takes a load off your feet. :)

x88x
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Niiice. I killed Umbra and took all of her equipment. I now have Full Ebony + Umbra's Sword. The sword is awesome and pretty strong, but the armor is only a bit better than Dwarven. I think I'll try to get full Orcish now, not really sure if its any better though. I just don't really like the way Ebony looks. Still wearing my Dwarven boots though. Gotta love that, like, 65 points Feather constant effect enchant. Definitely takes a load off your feet. :)

Yeah, Umbra is a pretty freakin awesome sword. Enchantments aside, it deals more damage than any other weapon in the entire game.

What level were you when you killed Umbra? As I mentioned before, her armor is better if you kill her when you're level 15+. Also, for future notice, as you continue playing, the strongest heavy armor is Daedric. It goes:
Heavy:
Rusty Iron<Iron<Steel<Dwarven<Orcish<Ebony<Daedric
Light:
Rouch Leather<Fur<Leather<Chainmail<Mithril<Elven<Glass

...your boots started me thinking...I should make a looting suit... :twisted:

Ooh. Ooh. And a pillaging shovel...I wonder if I can enchant shovels....

EDIT: forgot about the really crappy armor

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Wait..... you can use shovels for stuff? I bet I am over looking a lot of stuff

Zephik
07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Umbra is a pretty freakin awesome sword. Enchantments aside, it deals more damage than any other weapon in the entire game.

What level were you when you killed Umbra? As I mentioned before, her armor is better if you kill her when you're level 15+. Also, for future notice, as you continue playing, the strongest heavy armor is Daedric. It goes:
Heavy:
Rusty Iron<Iron<Steel<Dwarven<Orcish<Ebony<Daedric
Light:
Rouch Leather<Fur<Leather<Chainmail<Mithril<Elven<Glass

...your boots started me thinking...I should make a looting suit... :twisted:

Ooh. Ooh. And a pillaging shovel...I wonder if I can enchant shovels....

EDIT: forgot about the really crappy armor

Hmmm, I can't even think what level I was or am right now. Not anywhere near 20 I believe. Probably more like 12-15, somewhere around there. I tried killing her normally at first, but she was too strong and I was too lazy so I just killed her with the death cheat. I believe there is one other weapon that is stronger than Umbra. I want to call it goldbrand or something?

Maybe I'll visit the testing portals and pick up some daedric armor. Then enchant them with intelligence attributes to raise my magicka.

A looting suit would be awesome! You could probably enchant everything to at least counter the equipments weight. My boots alone have a 65pt feather enchant, although its not a custom enchant but a found in-game item, which tends to be a bit stronger than custom made enchants. Still though, should be able to get into the negatives with an empty inventory! :twisted:

Edit: Umbra is stronger than Goldbrand by 3 points. Umbra being 28 points, Goldbrand being 25 points of damage. However, Goldbrand does like 25 points of fire damage as well, so its technically the strongest weapon in the game.

x88x
07-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, plus Goldbrand just looks fscking awesome :D

What's the name of the boots you have?

Zephik
07-21-2009, 07:57 PM
The Boots of Jument. They're dwarven I believe.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Boots_of_the_Jument#Boots_of_the_Jument

I couldn't find any other info on them. Weird. I NEED to find those Boots of Thrall! 105pts of feather! And Daedric! Awesome!

I wonder how much a grand soul gem with a grand soul can enchant?

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I repeat my question... You can use a shovel?

Zephik
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM

They aren't equippable like other items in the game. They're purely decoration. Unless of course there is a mod out there that makes them otherwise, but I haven't heard of one if there is.

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Thats what I thought. I am going to spend a couple hours clearing out the quest backlog.

x88x
07-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Lol. Sorry, I missed your question there.

No, unfortunately you can't use shovels (or pick-axes, for that matter). You could in Morrowind; they just acted as really crappy weapons. I remember there was one quest for the Morag Tong (kinda like the Assassin's guild) where I had to kill a guy with a pick-axe :P I was referencing Richard's Pillaging Shovel (from Looking For Group (http://lfgcomic.com/); great webcomic), and wondering if there was some way that I could recreate it in Oblivion.

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok I am in the middle of the quest where I have to go to sleep and save the guy from the dream world. Talk about bobbie traps. They are everywhere. After this one I will have cleared 5 quest from the backlog leaving me with a few I will finish later. I may go explore the shivering isles after this.

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh btw whats your characters names and what type are they?

My current character is Calador Falaelon who is a High Elf Battle Mage. He is Schooled in the art of Destruction Magic, and is a master of heavy armor. His weapon of choice is a Silver Bow with frost enchantment with Silver Arrows. His backup weapon is a Silver Long Sword.

Zephik
07-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Ok I am in the middle of the quest where I have to go to sleep and save the guy from the dream world. Talk about bobbie traps. They are everywhere. After this one I will have cleared 5 quest from the backlog leaving me with a few I will finish later. I may go explore the shivering isles after this.

I just finished that one not too long ago! F THAT PLACE. lol

I just ran as quickly through everything as possible. The test of patience or whatever that one was called, if you just run quickly and jump lightly across the stone floor buttons, they'll sometimes not go off or have a delayed reaction. No reason to sit there and try and figure it out for half an hour. lol

Oh btw whats your characters names and what type are they?

My current character is Calador Falaelon who is a High Elf Battle Mage. He is Schooled in the art of Destruction Magic, and is a master of heavy armor. His weapon of choice is a Silver Bow with frost enchantment with Silver Arrows. His backup weapon is a Silver Long Sword.

Thats funny. I don't even remember my guys name. lol

He's a Wood Elf Battle Mage under the astrological sign of the Mage. Major Skills include; Blade, Heavy Armor, Destruction, Restoration, Acrobatics, Athletics and Sneak. His equipment includes; Custom Enchanted Dwarven Dagger (+5 Fire), Custom Enchanted Daedric Longsword (+5 Cold), Ebony Greaves & Cuirass, Hands of the Atronach (Ebony Gauntlets), Boots of Jument (Dwarven Boots), Bladeturn Hood (Physical Battle Hood), Pentamic Loop (Magic Boosting Necklace), Spell Breaker (Dwarven? Anti-Magic Shield).

I prefer using the dagger mostly. I like that in your face, stabby stabby stab stab stab approach. lol

x88x
07-22-2009, 01:01 AM
My current char is a Dark Elf Monk by the name of X.

He was born under the sign of the Thief and prefers hand-to-hand combat and light armor. Current equipment consists of the Boots of Bloody Bounding, The Kvatch Curais (the one you get for saving said city), and the rest covered by Mithril armor..I think the helmet has a resist magic enchantment, and the greaves have a resist paralysis enchantment. Both just stuff I found dungeon-crawling.

Once I get the various guild quests done though, I'll begin my never-ending collecting quest in earnest. I did the same thing in Morrowind; basically, I just run all over the place finding all the unique stuff :D

Speaking of which, for any pack-rats out there, I just found this mod today...it is a life saver.
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3791
It has storage rooms, bookshelves (that will actually shelve your books for you), alchemic storage/sorting drawers, a garden, and the best part (arguably): a room full of mannequins that you can have wear armor you bring back.

Oneslowz28
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I finally finished the dream world quest. I took my time and payed attention to the clues and it worked out fine. So I was wanting some awesome new armor. I head back to the arena to finish out the arena quest with my new character and I am getting my butt handed to me. These people are running straight through me and killing me within 2-3 hits. I cant block them, all of my different magic spells are doing no good. So I resort to the cheat to kill the first 2 matches. Then I decide to fight as had as I can to kill the next guy. He wipes me out no matter what I did. SO I check my settings and for some reason the difficulty is set to max. I didn't change it so I am guessing that the dream world changed it.

xRyokenx
07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm tempted to play Morrowind again. It really had a lot more to it than Oblivion does, but unfortunately the game engine sucks.

x88x
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm tempted to play Morrowind again. It really had a lot more to it than Oblivion does, but unfortunately the game engine sucks.

I'm not sure it has significantly more content than Oblivion (though it sure has a greater variety of weapons) but it definitely requires more dedication on the part of the player, what with not having an auto-locate feature for quests, not nearly as nice an in-game map (paper map FTW!), and no fast-travel..yes, that's right kids; back in those days we walked everywhere. Uphill both ways. In pouring ash. And we LIKED it. :P

Zephik
07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I love my memories of Morrowind, but because of my new memories of Oblivion, I fear that re-playing Morrowind now would only end in disappointment. It sure was a heck of a lot more expansive than Oblivion, that's for sure. Oblivion is like Elder Scrolls Concentrate, while Morrowind is a bit more watered down, at least comparatively. You had to walk FOREVER just to get anywhere.

In other news, I haven't even begun the main quest yet. lol I've been playing the side quests this entire time. Its going to be interesting once I start the main quest, at level 14+. I wonder how it will affect gameplay, like items and such. Maybe I'll get much sweeter rewards now...

xRyokenx
07-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I just realized my problem with Oblivion... there's less depth than Morrowind. I actually loved having to figure out where to go for quests and all that. I enjoy thinking to solve puzzles and whatnot. I'd just like the game to have a bit more to the armor and everything than "oh hey, yeah, chain mail is way better than fur" and everything like that. It's a cool game, but I guess I lost interest in it kinda fast.

Zephik
07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Having more equipment options would definitely be nice. Something... new? Its basically rehashed stuff from Morrowind, except only the main gear. It doesn't have any of the cool armor, like in Tribunal. That and a lot of it doesn't look as good as in Morrowind. The Glass especially. I don't like the refined look, I liked the messy crazy look.

Oneslowz28
07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I am the kind of guy who can play BF2 for hours on end and not get bored so Oblivion is always refreshing to me.

x88x
07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I think the idea behind the more refined look of the glass armor was that the armorsmiths in Cyrodiil had access to more advanced techniques to work with the 'glass', which is really more like crystal than glass...what with it being mined and all.

I also feel that Oblivion is a bit too shallow for my liking. I liked the problem-solving aspect of stuff, and the need to actually research people and have the map out and be looking at it, in order to find people and things. Also, the travel, with having to determine what the best way to travel was, where the closest boat/Silt Strider was, setting and using teleport spells (god I loved those...made bringing back loot soooo much easier). All in all, I guess Morrowind just requires a lot more dedication and thought than Oblivion does. I also loved how the armor was broken down so much in Morrowind. My char had such a hodge-podge looking set or armor, with practically no two pieces alike (I think the two pauldrens were the same), but it was comprised almost entirely of unique, legendary stuff that I spent months collecting, so it was about the best suit or armor possible. ...which reminds me, I need to find the Courais of Saviour's Hide.. *runs off to find Hircine's shrine*

EDIT: ..damn...I have to be level 17...

Oneslowz28
07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Lvl 14...... Just finished off the Arena and leveled up twice in 4 matches. Now I need to do some Mage guild stuff. Have been neglecting that since I got my staff. I also need something new in the way of weapons. This silver stuff is getting old. Maybe I will go clear some dungons.

x88x
07-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Yup, at level 14 you should see a lot of Dwarven weapons in dungeons, but if you hit 15 you'll start seeing a lot of Glass.

Oneslowz28
07-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I am going to buy a house and install the mod posted earlier so I can collect stuff. Want to get a full set of each.

x88x
07-22-2009, 10:45 PM
The one in Anvil is really cheap ($5k), but... requires a little work.

Oneslowz28
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
I priced one in Skingrad and it was 25k so I might be making way to Anvil

Zephik
07-23-2009, 03:14 AM
I wish that mod included the wizards tower that you inherit. Its pretty close to what the mod offers, but not quite, like the self-organizing bookshelves and armor showcasing dudes. It does have a lot of other sweet stuff though, so I'll probably keep using it as my home, especially since it was free. lol

Does anyone know when you start seeing or where to find storm atronachs? I want some of those void salts, or even the ice ones. All I can find is bazillions of fire atronachs.

Another cool thing about the wizards tower, you can summon the atronachs and tell them to follow you. Now THATS a body guard! :p

xRyokenx
07-23-2009, 03:54 AM
@x88x: That was the best part of Morrowind. It took a LOT of planning to do anything. And there was the need to be really resourceful too. I had to go back to this one dungeon a few times because I neglected to bring enough repair hammers and all that. It was more puzzle than wanton combat. It was also more fun to explore the countryside for the fun of it. There were so many caves and other random cool things to look at and they usually had something cool inside, either an item, something to read, etc. I'd love to see a modern game be more like that instead of the crapfest that was RA3, for example.

Oneslowz28
07-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Zeph, if you check the mage's hall shelfs you will find them all. I have 2-3 of each of the salts this way.

x88x
07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know when you start seeing or where to find storm atronachs? I want some of those void salts, or even the ice ones. All I can find is bazillions of fire atronachs.

Well, Storm are the strongest atronachs, so they don't start showing up for a little while..I think around level 20, iirc.

I am going to buy a house and install the mod posted earlier so I can collect stuff. Want to get a full set of each.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but the entrance portal to the mod is actually on the outside of the house, so you don't have to buy the house before you can get into it. Coincidentally, when you leave the mod, it asks which house you want to go to, so it also works as a nice semi-fast-travel-ish feature if you are a vampire and have to travel large distances during the day and haven't fed in a while.. :whistler:

Oneslowz28
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
What about the several addon packs. The game came with Nights of Nine and Shivering Isles but there are like 8 more http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Official_Plug-ins

x88x
07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
What about the several addon packs. The game came with Nights of Nine and Shivering Isles but there are like 8 more http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Official_Plug-ins

The Knights of the Nine pack was just all those official add-ons bundled into one pack.

Oneslowz28
07-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Man I just installed the EVGA 8800 GTS 512 I bought from Trace and set all the settings to Max and this is a new game. Man all the texture I was missing with everything on low.

Zephik
07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Lucky! I've had to set everything on basically super low just so I stop blue screening every time I exit places, I still do but not near as often.

I remember when I first played the game. I was using a desktop back then with a X300SE and I could pump it up to medium-high settings, the game is gorgeous and amazingly detailed even on those settings. Although I always turn the grass off because it is WAY too easy to lose stuff/people/items.

x88x
07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Heheh, yeah, I originally played Oblivion on an AGP X800XT AIW, and while that was able to push most things pretty high, I had no shadows...

Now, I turn everything on, all the way up, and it looks beautiful and still gives me high fps' (idk what exactly; I haven't tested it).

Oneslowz28
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
The game ran great on the 7300GS but if I strayed too far off path it screeched to 5-6 fps.

Zephik
07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Nooooo!

I had a genius idea last night. I let the game run all night, with me auto-running in a corner. I woke up a few times and made sure to save it, I reached level 50 Athletics and that was only after a couple hours! I was planning on sleeping for at least another 4 hours. So when I woke up...

"Yadda yadda yadda has encountered and error...."

Lame!

x88x
07-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Nooooo!

I had a genius idea last night. I let the game run all night, with me auto-running in a corner. I woke up a few times and made sure to save it, I reached level 50 Athletics and that was only after a couple hours! I was planning on sleeping for at least another 4 hours. So when I woke up...

"Yadda yadda yadda has encountered and error...."

Lame!

Wow, that sucks; though at least you got it up to 50 :D One tip on that; your athletics levels faster if you're swimming, so if you can find a nice, safe corner to swim into it should go a bit faster.

Zephik
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
And guess who has a water breathing helm? Perfect! I wonder what the leveling multiplier is for swimming compared to running? It would be awesome if its x2 comparatively.

I'm also starting to find glass weapons. So far I've found a glass mace and a bunch of glass daggers from mage apprentices. Step 1: Kill. Step 2: Steal. Step 3: Resurrect. Step 4: Repeat. I now have like 5 glass daggers of ice and fire. :twisted:

x88x
07-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Step 1: Kill. Step 2: Steal. Step 3: Resurrect. Step 4: Repeat. I now have like 5 glass daggers of ice and fire. :twisted:

Hahahahaha, niiiice. I keep forgetting that there are resurrection spells :D

Oneslowz28
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
mage killer!!!!

Zephik
07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey, they're fine. They just have slight headaches from... you know... not breathing for a couple minutes. lol

Oneslowz28
07-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey where was that quest located? The one where you got the mages tower?

Zephik
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM

I just signed in one day and it was there. Hmmm.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Frostcrag_Spire_%28quest%29

x88x
07-24-2009, 07:38 PM

It's part of one of the add-on packs in Knights of the Nine.

Oneslowz28
07-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I have the knights of the nine installed. It came with the game. But I do not see the quest or the deed.

Zephik
07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
This is the Wizards Tower Plugin you can try installing, see if it works or something.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=007c4d8b0f80bfe3d9d5c56d04dfa8b0e04e75f6 e8ebb871

(and apparently a book too. enjoy I guess. lol)

luciusad2004
07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't know if anyone will know but...

does this game look better on the PC than it does the xbox 360? I borrowed it on the xbox but it seems like it would be a lot of fun once I get my pc upgraded a little bit.

x88x
07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't know if anyone will know but...

does this game look better on the PC than it does the xbox 360? I borrowed it on the xbox but it seems like it would be a lot of fun once I get my pc upgraded a little bit.

Yes and no. Like many games, it can look better on PC than on 360, but it can also look worse. IDK what the quality levels that the 360 version uses are, but I guarantee that they can be turned up higher, and to a higher max resolution, on the PC.

luciusad2004
07-24-2009, 10:59 PM
My monitors native resolution is 1680x1050, would it take a monstrous computer to reach this resolution?

I'll be paying off my debt to my university in the next two months and afterwords I'll have an extra $400 a month. I might upgrade a little bit. Not sure what I'm gonna upgrade to yet, but I know I wanna be able to at least do some light gaming. I plan on upgrading my video card and processor. Might add another two GB of ram as well. When the time comes I'm sure I'll be asking for all kinds of silly help.

Oneslowz28
07-25-2009, 01:46 AM
If your current graphics card is the one in "your rig" then no it wont look better. Now on my evga 8800gts 512mb it looks so freaking good that you honestly feel there. But I was playing it on a 7300gs and it was still nice.

Kayin
07-25-2009, 09:21 AM
With some of the texture mods available right now, and the cards available, it can be made to top Crysis.

My 2 HD4870x2s can handle anything thrown at them-I'm gonna mod out Oblivion and play it on my 1920x1200 Acer. Should be good times.

I always excelled at archery...

luciusad2004
07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
If your current graphics card is the one in "your rig" then no it wont look better. Now on my evga 8800gts 512mb it looks so freaking good that you honestly feel there. But I was playing it on a 7300gs and it was still nice.

Lol, I know that. I was asking because I might upgrade soon and would like to have at least one game that I can show off. Plus I was thinking I might enjoy it more on the PC. I figured the controls might not be as limited as they are on an xbox controller.

Oneslowz28
07-25-2009, 07:44 PM
If you upgrade to a 9600 or gtx 260 or any of the mid 9 and all 200 series cards you should be able to run oblivion at Max. I have every thing set to high even all the water and grass settings and the 8800gts doesn't even twitch. The fan never speeds up over idle and my temp sensor shows it only moving up about 2 degrees.

Zephik
07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Just finished all of the Mage Guild quests, I'm now the Archmage. The coolest thing I got from doing all of that? A ring of night eye. :neutral:

oh well, got a lot of experience from it anyways.

xRyokenx
07-25-2009, 09:21 PM
One of my favorite mods was this one that made it so night-eye was toggled on and off instead of a short duration and draining so much magicka. Instead it used a couple magicka every few seconds until turned off, which made a ton more sense.

luciusad2004
07-25-2009, 09:42 PM
If you upgrade to a 9600 or gtx 260 or any of the mid 9 and all 200 series cards you should be able to run oblivion at Max. I have every thing set to high even all the water and grass settings and the 8800gts doesn't even twitch. The fan never speeds up over idle and my temp sensor shows it only moving up about 2 degrees.

So the 200 series cards are the latest cards? It's so hard to keep up w/ and it doesn't help that they don't have a seemingly logical naming system. Are the GTX cards better than the GTS cards?

Speaking of cool things... I forget were it was but I found this quest at one of the demon shrines were afterwords I received this awesome lock pick that was unbreakable. I swear it was the best object I ever found and I couldn't see playing the game w/ out it. The demon's name might have been Nocturnal but I'm really not sure.

Edit: Google teaches me that the item is the Skeleton key.

Oneslowz28
07-25-2009, 09:48 PM
yes the 200 series cards are the latest. You should be able to find a mid grade one for around $100. As far as performance goes its gs gt gts gtx and gx2.

Oneslowz28
07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Just finished all of the Mage Guild quests, I'm now the Archmage. The coolest thing I got from doing all of that? A ring of night eye. :neutral:

oh well, got a lot of experience from it anyways.

Welcome to the guild my friend.

I like the dark brotherhood quest. Lots of awesome swag from them.
I need to get started on the fighters guild quest soon.

I found an enchanted helmet in a cave that has detect life 500 feet, fortify magica, and 15pts frost damage on touch. It a silver helmet so its noting pretty.

luciusad2004
07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the guild my friend.

I like the dark brotherhood quest. Lots of awesome swag from them.
I need to get started on the fighters guild quest soon.

I found an enchanted helmet in a cave that has detect life 500 feet, fortify magica, and 15pts frost damage on touch. It a silver helmet so its noting pretty.

I have to agree that the dark brotherhood was some of the most fun I ever had w/ that game. You also got that bitchin light armor. The mages guild was alright but seems kind of tedious at points. The brotherhood was just fun.

I have to admit I never got around to playing the main quest. The one time I tried to get back in to it, it was a lot harder than the smaller quests. Maybe it was just because I had leveled up so much by then, IDK.

x88x
07-26-2009, 02:59 AM
So the 200 series cards are the latest cards? It's so hard to keep up w/ and it doesn't help that they don't have a seemingly logical naming system. Are the GTX cards better than the GTS cards?
pre-200 series:
[line#/generation][model#] [version]
ex:
9800 GTX ==> [9][800] [GTX]
8600 GT ==> [8][600] [GT]

200 series:
[version] [line#/generation][model#]
ex:
GTX 260 ==> [GTX] [2][60]
GTS 250 ==> [GTS] [2][50]

All follow the version rankings that Oneslowz28 mentioned (though not all the version he listed will be present for every model or even line).

ATI follows a similar naming convention (while we're at it):
[line#/generation][model#] [X2_ifapplicable]
ex:
4870 ==> [48][70]
4850 X2 ==> [48][50] [X2]

Sorry, IDK if that made it more or less confusing. :P

Speaking of cool things... I forget were it was but I found this quest at one of the demon shrines were afterwords I received this awesome lock pick that was unbreakable. I swear it was the best object I ever found and I couldn't see playing the game w/ out it. The demon's name might have been Nocturnal but I'm really not sure.

Edit: Google teaches me that the item is the Skeleton key.

Deadra, not demons :P

But, yes, the skeleton key is an absolute must-have item for anyone who regularly picks locks in Oblivion. It also has a constant-effect Fortify Security 40 points, which also makes picking locks a lot easier (enchantment is constant as long as you have it in your inventory). And, yes, Nocturnal is the one who gives it to you.

If you're looking for cool swag from guild quests, imo the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests provide the best swag. Especially the last quest in for the Thieves Guild :D

luciusad2004
07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Wow, thanks that actually clears it up quite a bit.

And yeah, I knew they weren't called demons... its just been a while since I've played... couldn't remember what the game called them.

This thread is making me want to play again lol. Last time I borrowed this game I ended up playing it every day all through the night until the sun was coming up and I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

Oneslowz28
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Zeph or x88x.... I installed the armory mod. I can not get any of my weapons into the cases. I drop them and they just hit the floor. What am I doing wrong?

xRyokenx
07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
If you hold the q or z button on your keyboard while aiming at the weapon you should be able to lift and move the object around. I dunno if that mod has any other instructions as to how to put the weapons in the cases but if you haven't read the read me or mod page that might be worth looking into.

Oneslowz28
07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
that worked .. thanks

x88x
07-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, assuming you're talking about the 'Weapon Display Room', you have to grab them and drag them into the cases. Cases do have a certain amount of vertical volume above them allocated, where things cannot appear, so if you try and drop them straight into the cases, depending on where you're pointing, it might drop it off to the side, onto the floor.

One cool thing I just realized today about that room; the map in the corner has a small portal at one corner that you can enter and walk around the map. Warning to vampires though, the map is 'outside', so if it's during the day, watch out.

Zephik
07-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I became a vampire the other day, but then I went and got the cure. Being a vampire is no fun, since I like the day more than anything, and I didn't want to have to keep biting people to stay at level 1 vampire.

x88x
07-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I became a vampire the other day, but then I went and got the cure. Being a vampire is no fun, since I like the day more than anything, and I didn't want to have to keep biting people to stay at level 1 vampire.

Bah! Banish the sun, shun the cattle, and grow more powerful than you could possibly imagine! Well, ok, it's only like, +20 on various skills and a few fun abilities, but hey, run with we here...

..ok, to be honest, yeah, it is a pain when I'm at 100% Vampirism and I have to go somewhere out in the middle of nowhere...or actually talk to an NPC that's not obligated by a quest to talk to me....meh, personally I find the benefits outweigh the problems, but hey, I guess it's not for everyone.

EDIT:
Coincidentally, for any new vampires out there, dawn is at 6am, dusk is at 8pm, storms apparently block UV, and sun damage gets worse the further away from dawn/dusk you get.

EDIT2:
Come to think of it, it's a little odd that they went the way that they did with Vampirism considering that according to most Vampiric Lore, the longer a Vampire goes without feeding, they get weaker, not stronger.

Oneslowz28
07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Ok guys so tell me about Umbra

x88x
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Ok guys so tell me about Umbra

Do you mean lore? Because the acquiring of Umbra and its strengths/etc were discussed a few pages back.

Zephik
07-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Its both a sword and a person. The person is exceptionally strong so go in battle-ready. The sword is the strongest weapon in the game, plus it can capture souls. (Goldbrand is technically the strongest, but not when its fire enchant runs out). You can find Umbra in an Ayleid Ruin which is located right here...

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6577/umbra7ck.jpg
You can also take her Full Ebony Armor (Heavy) which I believe is the 2nd best in the game? Anyways, its also a one handed sword so you can wield a shield too. Its not possible to unequip, btw. At least, not that I know of anyhow. But it doesn't weigh anything I believe so should be no issue. (speaking of which, I enchanted two rings and a necklace with +strength and now I can carry over 500! :D)

Oneslowz28
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
The reason I asked was I had a run in with her. I killed her but thought she might be important so I didnt save the game. Is she critical to any missions?

Really? You can not unequip her sword? Like once I pick it up I have to use it all the time? I like my long range bow shots.

Oneslowz28
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh and I am close to 1000 post..

I am half way through the dark brotherhood quest now.

Zephik
07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Whoops, sorry, thats not what I meant. I mean that you can't drop her sword, you can still use whatever weapon you want, you just can't drop the sword out of your inventory.

I kill her every time I play this game and I've never noticed a difference. lol

Usually when you kill super important people they just go unconscious and then wake up a bit later.

I'm not really sure what quest she is for, probably some vague side one. I've never encountered it anyways.

Oneslowz28
07-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Good to know.

Going to kill her again now. Her armor will look nice in my armory.

Zephik
07-27-2009, 12:27 AM
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3429/oblivion200907262124102.png
Now that is a weapon! :D (Its a Deadric Dagger btw, nice and fast.)

Everyone who plays Oblivion and wants to take screenshots, download fraps. Dear lord how did I ever survive without this thing?? So simple to use. Download it, run it, press F10 while in a game and it takes a screenshot for you! You can even set where it puts the screenshot. I set it to my pictures. It also tells you FPS as well as lets you record movies too.

(I'm level 30 now which is why the stats are kind of high, I cheated. I leveled my athletics to like 200 and it caused me to level up like 10 times. lmao Is there a way to undo character levels? I just wanted to run fast, not level up a bunch. lol)

Vital
07-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Well after reading some of this thread, you've guys convinced me to start playing Oblivion again so I just created a cider port of it for my Mac. Will start playing shortly :)

Oneslowz28
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Just for those who don't want to use fraps, if you have x-fire installed it will do the same things. Oh and that is a bad ass character. I think I remember reading on tes nexus or ues about a console command that would let you level down

Welcome to the TBCS Oblivion Guild Vital

Zephik
07-27-2009, 01:38 AM
AH HA! Found it.

player.setlevel #

I'm now level 20 again. Woot woot. No more super baddies AND I'm still as quick as lightning. :)

Oneslowz28
07-27-2009, 03:06 AM
I upped some texture mods. Will post some screen caps tomorrow.

Zephik
07-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Joined the Thieves Guild.

Boy does dropping all of your stuff except for a robe set and a jewelry set enchanted with +sneak enchants help. I also have a shield with a 25% Chameleon enchant. So, +50 Sneak and +25% Chameleon. Oh yea, now that's some good thieves guild gear! I'm only carrying like 30 pounds out of 400 right now too, good for fast get-a-ways. lol

I also enchanted my entire glass armor set with +magicka. Doubled what I already had, very nice and handy. Before I could only heal myself once and have to wait until it recharged, now I can heal myself twice with a sliver left over.

I also noticed that with every piece of equipment that I enchant with strength, my weapon damage goes up by one point.

x88x
07-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm not really sure what quest she is for, probably some vague side one. I've never encountered it anyways.

Umbra is part of the Clavicus Vile quest (Daedric Lord). Though, part of the quest in that you kill the host and grab Umbra, not in that you have to talk to the host at all. So basically, no, you didn't screw up any quests.

Oneslowz28
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I need to find 1 more Grand soul gem to cure my vamprism. I have been all over the map and can not find any more. Someone help me.

Zephik
07-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I need to find 1 more Grand soul gem to cure my vamprism. I have been all over the map and can not find any more. Someone help me.

Mage guilds AND don't forget that you can sometimes buy them from vendors, usually in the mage guilds but who knows where else, maybe the market district.

Oneslowz28
07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Ive been to them all. nothing....

Oneslowz28
07-27-2009, 06:56 PM
You wont believe this but I found one on a person at some ruins.

Zephik
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Now that's lucky! lol

The most random things happen in this game I swear. Like one time I was fighting a couple bandits and a civilian came and helped me. One of the baddies dropped his glass long sword and just as I was trying to make my way to pick it up, the freaking civilian picks it up and equips it! Then I kill him for it, and some freaking infantry dude is all like blah blah blah I'm a dirty bitch. lol

I also picked up the Skeleton Key. Dear lord do I love that thing!

Oneslowz28
07-27-2009, 07:24 PM
lol

Going to get the skeleton key as soon as I cure this vamprism

The boy 4rm oz
07-28-2009, 06:48 AM
My question is, Is it any fun?
HELL YEAH!!!

I think Fallout 3 is from the same studio and it's kickass.

Yep, both are made by Bethesda but I think Oblivion is much better than Fallout 3.

I love this game, I have the "Game of the Year Edition" (Oblivion+Nights of the Nine+Shivering Isles). I must have played for at least 50 hours (even though my Xfire doesn't say so) and I never went to the Shivering Isles lol. I spent probably the first 10 hours doing the story quests and got very far into the game before I started doing side quests and WOW I never went back to the story lol. Fantastic games with some very good mods available. The one must have mod is the Oblivion BTmod, (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=25)it shrinks the icons and everything in the menus making it much easier to find and equip gear, I also recommend getting the mod manager.

Oh and Oneslow, to cure your vampireism all you have to do is goo to a church/temple and drink from the alter, the one in the captial city should do it OR you could just be bad ass and kill people in their sleep lol.

x88x
07-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Oh and Oneslow, to cure your vampireism all you have to do is goo to a church/temple and drink from the alter, the one in the captial city should do it OR you could just be bad ass and kill people in their sleep lol.

That only works if you're just infected, not if you're already a vampire. If you try to pray at a temple as a vampire it just tells you that you're evil and gives you the finger (figuratively :P )

The boy 4rm oz
07-28-2009, 09:12 AM
HAHA, I must try that. I used to constantly auto save so if I ever got infected I reloaded the save file haha.

FuzzyPlushroom
07-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Whoa, a giant Oblivion thread. Very cool.

This game has eaten more of my time than probably any other (save perhaps SimCity) and I've enjoyed nearly every minute of it.

A tip: if you need to know nearly anything about the game, the UESP (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/) are amazing. Suggestions, walkthroughs, maps... damn near anything you could ask for. I've taken to skimming through quickly before embarking on any of the few quests I haven't run through previously; 'casing the joint', so to speak.

Huh. Now look what you guys have done, you've made me want to go load up TES Construction Set again.

Oneslowz28
07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
If you read through the whole thread, you will see that we are quite familiar with TES Nexux and UESP :p

Zephik
07-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Sad news. My HDD is basically history, which means my save files are gone. Bummer to the extreme. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. It's probably best that I don't have that distraction anymore anyways, maybe I can actually get stuff done now. lol

Man, my character was so cool looking too. lol

simon275
07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Man I just read this read all 21 pages of this thread I want to get back into Obilivion so bad. I might see if I can get the GOTY Edition as I only have the Main game.

Oneslowz28
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
That sucks zeph. Come on get back into the game. Select some weird combo and make a badd ass character.

Simon I know this doesnt help but gamestop here has the GOTY edition for $15. I got mine at walmart for $10

The boy 4rm oz
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
I didn't bother to backup my save file when my mobo died cos for something different I tried really weird mods and hacking the console to get items and to level up skills etc and it kinda raped the entire game lol. I just did it cos I was curious but I wanted to start again anyway cos with all the stop and starting I did I kinda forgot what the hell I was doing haha.

Vital
07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Well I didn't like it on Mac, so I bought it and put it on my PC. I'll start playing soon.

Kayin
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm reinstalling on this PC, just so I can have it till Mithril is running-had a waterblock issue keeping me down, should be sorted today.

Zephik
07-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I miss playing this game so much that I just spent 3 freaking hours trying to fix whatever is wrong with my other hard drive. Start windows normally doesn't work, start windows in last known good configuration doesn't work, any and all safe modes end up pausing on "ntsf.sys" or something like that. I go into recovery with the winxp disc and disable it and it says its already disabled?? I give up. lol I swear I literally tried everything, which is probably why it took 3 freaking hours.

I might start a new character and just auto-complete/auto-level to the point where I left off I guess. I can always use cheats to get back most of my equipment too. argh. I guess thats do-able. What a pain in the ass though. lol

I wonder if Oblivion even works under Win7?

The boy 4rm oz
07-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Why don't you just plug the HDD into a different PC, copy your save files and extra data then do a complete for mat on the drive and re-install everything, sounds like the partition is corrupt.

Zephik
07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
That probably would of worked, but I wanted to get it working on this laptop so I could have XP instead of Win7 RC. But oh well, I reinstalled oblivion and it seems to work okay. This laptop is just a bit underpowered is all, so its a bit laggy. I originally tried switching over the hard drive to this laptop because the sound module busted on the other one (the one that I was using before). So even though this one isn't as powerful, it at least has sound.

Oneslowz28
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
welcome back to the dark side

luciusad2004
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Wasn't someone gonna post up pics of the better texture mod? I'm curious to see how good it looks.

Are there any animation mods? One of the biggest disapointments for me when I had the game was the poor animations on the characters. I had the same complaint with Fallout 3. I hope their next game has some better looking movement.

Oneslowz28
07-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I installed a few texture mods but I honestly didnt notice a difference

Kayin
07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
There are some full body mesh replacements that are honestly very good, but most of them are butt nekid too.

xRyokenx
07-30-2009, 06:08 PM
but most of them are butt nekid too.

A few of the really good ones have non-nude versions as well.

Oneslowz28
07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I saw those on TES nexus

Oneslowz28
07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I think my problem with the textures were that non of them were the huge gb sized files people talk about.

The boy 4rm oz
07-30-2009, 09:26 PM
The texture mods are really good but you only notice things if you run settings maxed out. I have tried almost every texture mod I could find and i'm afraid to say, the BaB (baberized) texture pack (which removes under garments and augments other body parts) is probably the best texture pack I have used, natural skin tones and just makes everything look more natural. No I don't use it cos you can see people naked lol.

There are a few other mods that are worth looking at. One is a natural hand to hand combat mod, it makes fist fighting more natural and throws in new moves and increased damage, a really good mod but I forget the name of it :(. There is also a natural weather conditions mod which is really good (it is made by the same guys who did the S.T.A.L.K.E.R mod) but once again I forget the name.

Oneslowz28
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I run the settings wide open. I think I just downloaded crappy texture packs.

Which do you guys like better? HDR lighting or Bloom with AA all the way up?

The boy 4rm oz
07-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I didn't think Bloom worked with AA. I think I use HDR.

Oneslowz28
07-30-2009, 11:45 PM
HDR does not work with AA, Bloom does.

The boy 4rm oz
07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Ah yea got them mixed around lol, I must use Bloom cos I have the AA maxed out.

Oneslowz28
07-31-2009, 01:51 AM
I was using HDR but anything in the sun has a weird glow to it. Almost like the light was washing the image out if it were RL.

Zephik
07-31-2009, 03:34 AM
I modded my endurance (or whatever gives you health) to like 90 and all I have is 130HP. ...something is wrong here... or is there?

Likewise, I modded my strength to 90 and my glass long sword only does like 13 damage. That.. just doesn't seem right. (I'm at level 20)

Ugh, don't tell me I have to create a whole new character because something got screwed up.

This has to be like the worse day in technology I have ever had. lol

The boy 4rm oz
07-31-2009, 04:02 AM
Are you using a mod or the actual console to edit your stats, I have done it in the console before with no trouble at all. You can also use the console to kill monsters or unlock chests/doors, just press the "~" key then click on the thing you want to unlock or kill and type unlock or kill and press enter, simple as that, not that I do this though, just tried it out.

Zephik
07-31-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm using console. It just seems like everything is close to being maxed out, yet my stats aren't being affected? Although they kind of are, but not like how they should be. Its almost like I started with negative stats, and then modded the stats to a certain level, but since I started out negative, instead of 90 its only like 50. But I can carry over 400 pounds right now... so that hints to it working correctly. Something is definitely weird here. Maybe I'll load it back to before I modded anything and try again. Its probably just a glitch or something.

Edit:
HOLY GIANT BALLS OF MACARONI ART! I got my old hard drive back up and running! YES! Now to kick some serious oblivion ass! :-D

The boy 4rm oz
07-31-2009, 09:32 AM
When I edited my stats I forced the level up in the console and then kept sleeping for an hour in a bed, every time I slept I got to pick where my skill points went, that seemed to work. Gratz on getting your old HDD up and running BTW.

Zephik
07-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Finished the Umbra quest, didn't need the sword anymore. (My Daedric Longsword with +10 Fire enchant is better. :-P) I received a mask that gives you 20+ personality. Meh. Can I have the sword back? lol

Although I suppose its pretty useful to have handy while shopping around.

Think I might go through to the shivering isles or whatever that place is called. Getting a little bored and I feel like I've been everywhere already. Hopefully the Elder Scrolls V will be much more expansive. I remember in Morrowind it took literally like 20 minutes to walk from one side of the map to the other. Although, you couldn't scale terrain as easily so maybe thats why. Although... now that I think about it, it only took me about 20 minutes to go from one side of oblivion to the other... hmmm.

The boy 4rm oz
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Or you can fast travel and it takes 5 seconds lol.

Zephik
07-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Or you can fast travel and it takes 5 seconds lol.

True, but then you don't get all the experience. And when your major skills which determine when you level are acrobatics and athletics, let alone the random chance encounters of baddies, you want to get as much exp as you can. :)

That and I like to explore. Probably my favorite part of these games. But whoever thought of the fast travel deserves a ****ing medal or something. Perfect for your "so many quests, so little time" types of people. :P

The boy 4rm oz
07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah I also like to travel around and explore but if I have completed a quest and are halfway across the map I don't wanna walk back to hand it in HAHA.

Zephik
07-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah I also like to travel around and explore but if I have completed a quest and are halfway across the map I don't wanna walk back to hand it in HAHA.

That would make the game at least 10 times longer to finish. lmao

Oneslowz28
07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I just find a corner to walk into and push Q. Let it sit for an hour or so and Vola...I have increased enough to level up. I am walking around more, I love dungeon clearing. Going to start on the oblivion gates soon. The Shivering isles are freaking creepy.

Zephik
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
I wish I had a "Q" button for work... sigh... lol

luciusad2004
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Fast travel was a blessing and a curse. At first I liked to walk around alot but then it got to the point were I didn't want to spend an hour walking just to run a silly errand for some of the more tedious quests. That made me lazy and eventually I end up fast traveling everywhere only to feel like I skimped out on half the game. I think, for me, the problem would be solved by them "centralizing" the quest area's around the area you recieve the quest so that you don't have to spend an hour just walking but I suppose that would take away from the idea of exploration.

it's not as big of a deal once you get a horse though.

xRyokenx
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
I wish they did that traveling thing they had in Morrowind in Oblivion. Basically you would find a boat or a silt-strider guy and pay him to take you where you wanted to go. There was no fast travel.

Oneslowz28
07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
I still fast travel for quest but do a hell of a lot of walking when I go dungeon clearing. it also helps if you jump everywhere.

The boy 4rm oz
08-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah I do a fair bit of jumping when I am walking around towns or between towns, increases your acrobatic skills very quickly.

Zephik
08-01-2009, 01:48 AM
My acrobatics is 2nd highest next to athletics. I jumped off a mountain one time and I was sure I was going to die but I survived, just barely though. lol

I want to eventually be able to jump over houses and buildings. :p

I did experience a momentarily awesome glitch one time. I jumped off a rock inside of a city and I flew up into the air like a freaking eagle. lol it was awesome. Until I fell back down and died. lmao

The boy 4rm oz
08-01-2009, 02:02 AM
HAHA that would have been awesome. When I got a bit bored of questing I used to do a bit of Parkour around the city lol, was quite fun actually,

Zephik
08-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Got a new helmet: http://oblivion.wikia.com/wiki/Fin_Gleam

I kind of wish I could toggle on and off the night eye though. Seeing blue gets a little dull after awhile. lol

The boy 4rm oz
08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I brought a helmet like that from a shop, has almost the same attributes but mine has 15 armour.

Oneslowz28
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I wish we could trade this stuff.

Zephik
08-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Well you could always use console. Although it takes a bit away from the game. But then again, you could turn up the difficulty to sort of counter "cheating" or whatever. But I think its fun to try and find all the pieces. Anyways...

player.additem ######## #

The first line is always necessary to add items into your inventory. The red stands for the items ID, every item in Oblivion has its own ID. For example, 000382DF. The blue stands for the number you want of that item.

Here is a code for gold. Enter however much you want in the blue spot.

player.additem 00000F #

Just in case anyone didn't know, now you do. ^_^

The boy 4rm oz
08-02-2009, 03:41 AM
There are many many console commands to help you out, you can auto complete quests, reveal the whole map (although it only lasts until you shut down the game), tweak attributes, the list is endless. I have played around with a few when I got bored but never used them while actually playing the game.

Oneslowz28
08-02-2009, 03:48 AM
I dont cheat until I beat the game once.

Zephik
08-02-2009, 04:58 AM
I dont cheat until I beat the game once.

Thats a good rule to have. Cheating takes away too much from the game. But man, that "kill all" cheat is handy when you're surrounded my enemies. Like an EMP blast for baddies. I did that inside of a dungeon one time and the place was just littered with bodies. lol

Back to the game, does anyone know where you can get a lot of amber or madness ore without too much work? Going around trying to find it on chance is a PAIN. I'm dying to have a full suit of armor and a weapon made out of either though. They're both so freaking cool looking!

Here is what Amber armor looks like for anyone who doesn't know...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/233/444167571_3498d447b6.jpg

Oneslowz28
08-02-2009, 05:17 AM
thats nice looking. Would look good in my armory

The boy 4rm oz
08-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Yeah sure is a nice looking armour. I was kitted out with a Full Daedric heavy armour set (with multiple enchantments) and broad sword before my save became corrupt.

Zephik
08-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah sure is a nice looking armour. I was kitted out with a Full Daedric heavy armour set (with multiple enchantments) and broad sword before my save became corrupt.

Always save twice, thats my motto. Especially since that happens to me way too often. I also save every time I enter a new area or am about to.

I still can't believe this game can cause widespread BSOD's. Just a tribute to how great the game is I guess. lol

The boy 4rm oz
08-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah I should have saved twice but the save only became corrupt after my mobo fried, a shame really, I wanted to start again anyway. Besides that corrupt save I have never had any problem with Oblivion on my rig. I really want to start playing again but I lent my GOTY copy to my cousins boyfriend and I hardly get to see him lol.