PDA

View Full Version : what's your favourite os

pcclan
07-21-2009, 03:06 PM
what's your favourite os from linux to mac to even windows what is your favorite

Luke122
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
LOL.. we are slaying the competition so far! Go Windows!

I like the simplicity/cleanness of the Linux and Mac OS, but IMHO the functionality in Windows is just too familiar for me to switch 100% to something else atm.

Little things like a double click to maximize a window, etc.

Zephik
07-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I've been using Windows since the dawn of time it seems like, but I'm not going to lie, I do love me some OS X and even some Ubuntu.

I voted for OS X though because I feel like Mac has really got their software down. The only problem I ever seem to have with their software is simply that its not Windows, which is the same problem I usually get with Linux. I've just become so familiar and used to Windows that I'll probably stick with them till the end of my days. Especially once Win7 gets perfected and released. The RC is pretty damn impressive. It would of changed my vote in the end, but, I don't want to pay a crap load of money for an OS. I think its what? A $70ish difference between OS X and Win7? Thats the other thing I like about OSX, they don't have 50 different versions. lol

Axis Machine
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I have to go with windows I have been using it since win95 I have used osx but something about it just isent the same as windows it feels like it is missing something. It might just take some geting use to but I would have to say that I like windows most out of the above options.

Will
07-21-2009, 08:17 PM
That's a hard vote, but I'll say Windows.

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Windows hands down. I have used them all and own copies of Windows 2000, xp home, xp pro, xp media center, Vista home premium 32bit, vista ultimate 64bit, will soon have Windows 7. I also have copies of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, linux mint, Solaris 10, and Android.

xRyokenx
07-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I voted Mac because I've played around with some of their stuff recently and have found that I enjoy using it much more than Windows.

progbuddy
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I switched to Mac.

After Windows 2000, it's essentially the same boring trend of "Don't rework the code! Just put a band-aid on it!" Vista was apparently nothing but band-aids, and fell apart. I hope to see the final version of Windows 7 as a good operating system, but Mac won me over first.

It's just easy, and that's why I like it. No real headaches with the software trying to find something. It's just there.

xRyokenx
07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
And the drivers are built into the Mac OS so there's no hunting for drivers if you need to reformat for some reason... if you even need to reformat. I tend to have to reinstall Windows around every six months and it's a real pain in the arse to set everything back up the way I want it to be.

Oneslowz28
07-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I am hard on a computer with several hundred GB worth of file transfers every few months and I may format my OS partition maybe every 18 months or so. Windows users who have to reformat often are doing something wrong. With the proper drive care IE: defragmenting, registry cleaning, removing old outdated drivers, etc you should never have to format and reinstall windows. I have a 20gb partition for C which is my OS partition. I never install anything but windows on that partition. If a program wont allow me to install to a custom location then I find one that will. The only exception is the new Ghostbusters game which I installed on C to try and get it to work.

Zephik
07-21-2009, 11:01 PM
It's just easy, and that's why I like it. No real headaches with the software trying to find something. It's just there.

Exactly. They really understand that simplicity is key. Just look at the iPhone vs a WinMo phone. Dear lord what a difference. If I could, I'd put the iPhone OS onto everything I own. I've always thought computers to be much more complex than needed to be. Just give me a bunch of shiny buttons to push that do what I want them to do. :)

Will
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
With the proper drive care IE: defragmenting, registry cleaning, removing old outdated drivers, etc you should never have to format and reinstall windows.

Exactly. I haven't reformatted the laptop since the HD died about 5 years ago. Just schedule a diskclean and defrag once a week.

I really like OSX (and iPhone, Touch, etc) aesthetically, but the simplicity actually bugs me. The first time I installed a network printer of OSX, for instance, was so easy that I didn't really feel like I had accomplished anything. It just worked.

BTW, I am a little biased since I have multiple MS Certs and they paid for some of them ;)

x88x
07-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I greatly prefer Linux, for the flexibility, light-weight running, and of course, the cost. It was such an eye-opener when I realized...wow, I can roll a file-server without having to pirate an os...or having anything even remotely resembling decent hardware in it. I also enjoy having so much more control over my hardware...and having software repositories..yeah, that's a big plus :D

That being said, my main system will remain running Windows for the foreseeable future, for the simple reason that I game. And I have to admit, I have been pretty happy with Windows 7; once I got rid of the buggy application that came with my Xonar, I haven't had any problems with it.

Xpirate
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I voted for Linux. In the past I would have voted Windows, but Ubuntu has made the Linux experience quite pleasant. If all you are going to to is use the internet, Linux is free and every bit as good as Windows.

There are still some drawbacks to Linux. There are some websites that only work with Windows. If you don't believe me, check out pbskids.org (http://pbskids.org) with a 4 year old. Some of the games require shockwave flash which will only work with Windows. I would not get WINE to run Quicken and GnuCash is not up to the same quality.

But for general computer use, it is hard to beat Linux.

spaztiK
07-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Flash does work on linux. I prefer linux, mainly ubuntu, the only thing windows has going for its is directx. you can get that to work through wine, but never as good as windows. If linux had the same amount of major products made compatible for it, no one would use windows.

x88x
07-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Flash does work in Linux, but most distros do not ship it installed because of legal problems. In my experience with the latest version of Ubuntu though, it should prompt you to install it, you click a couple 'ok' buttons, put in your password, restart firefox and it's done. One point where you will run into problems though, is sites like NetFlix streaming, that use SilverLight 2.0, though once the MoonLight 2.0 port is done, that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

chaksq
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
I've completely switched to Linux.

DuroMentis
08-02-2009, 10:33 PM
It's nice to see a community of what appears to generally be PC modders that don't seem so stuck up and arrogant about an OS. I mean, if you honestly think an OS is stupid (any OS at all) you should probably reconsider the fact that its most likely an error between the keyboard and chair. Anyways, I voted Mac since I do a lot of graphic design and such, however I do use Windows (in fact thats what I'm using right now) via bootcamp. Windows is good for games and coding as far as I'm concerned, but if you're in to designing, OS X is the way to go. Ubuntu seems like it's good, just not for me. Any ways thats my opinion.

nevermind1534
08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
When I was running linux, flash was slow and somewhat buggy with a P4 3.4GHz and 4GB RAM. This was about half a ear ago.

x88x
08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
When I was running linux, flash was slow and somewhat buggy with a P4 3.4GHz and 4GB RAM. This was about half a ear ago.

I haven't played with Cocoa (the OSS flash clone) recently, but if you get the official flash packages from adobe, I haven't had any problems with them. I was running flash just fine about 6 months ago on a 2.8 P4 w/ 512MB RAM

edit: your problem could be any number of things, from a miscompiled package to a pre-req that it's not telling you about