PDA

View Full Version : pc wont post

st8smn
07-29-2009, 02:29 AM
my pc wont post iv gone through the usual options (bare bone basics ie, 1 hdd , 1 stick o ram , 1 dvd drive ect ect .i checked everything over n over...i thought it might be the psu so i got another....same ****..roar so now iv spent money and still got no pc.

its weird i pluged in the new psu and the southbridge led comes on.i hit the switch ...nothing ..tried to short the pins ...nothing......so i unplugged the 240v psu input for 10 seconds and put it back in and without touching the switch EVERYTHING (cpu fan aux fans ect )fires up but still no post or even a beep

theres nothing physicly wrong with the cpu but i have no other am2 boards to test it ....should it post if the cpu is shot ??? i only overclocked it a little bit i swear.

any help would be great ,thanks

si-skyline
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
you can try removing the hdd + cd drive.. that is a bare bone boot.

to achive POST you need mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU.

if you have tried overclocking and it wont work anymore then locate the mobo battery and remove it for 20 mins while moving the Clear_CMOS pins if it has one on the mobo.

hopefully doing a forcefull reset like that will put the computer back to the factory settings and undo what ever settings or over clocking you have done.

Silly as it sounds make sure all the cables are in place. there should be CPU power, mobo power and the possiblity of SLI and GPU power.

if your new PSU has not solved it try sending it back and say you got it mixed up with something else. always a try for your money back. if not sell it or keep it as a tester.

Hope you get it sorted

Trace
07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Make sure that RAM is compatible too, that's kept my PC's from posting before.

Luke122
07-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Try without the ram. You should get an error beep. If not, it's either mobo or CPU.

Crazy Buddhist
07-30-2009, 07:20 AM
you can try removing the hdd + cd drive.. that is a bare bone boot.

to achive POST you need mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU.

if you have tried overclocking and it wont work anymore then locate the mobo battery and remove it for 20 mins while moving the Clear_CMOS pins if it has one on the mobo.

hopefully doing a forcefull reset like that will put the computer back to the factory settings and undo what ever settings or over clocking you have done.

Silly as it sounds make sure all the cables are in place. there should be CPU power, mobo power and the possiblity of SLI and GPU power.

if your new PSU has not solved it try sending it back and say you got it mixed up with something else. always a try for your money back. if not sell it or keep it as a tester.

Hope you get it sorted

Good post except ... "locate the mobo battery and remove it for 20 mins while moving the Clear_CMOS pins if it has one on the mobo" ....

Overkill city here ... either remove the CMOS battery OR switch the clear CMOS jumpers .. and it only takes about 10 seconds not 20 minutes. Read your mobo manual to find out the efficient way to do it on your MOBO .. most require power to be off .. I've seen exceptions. I have never encountered a MOBO that took more than ten seconds to clear the CMOS when you know what the MOBO wants.

CB

HackSore
07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
now, this may seem like a stupid post, but i have done this many times due to being tired/not concentrating/being a moron....

Have you plugged in the little 12v CPU power connector?

You wouldnt believe how many times i've sat there scratching my head as to why a machine wont post, then noticed that i havent plugged in the 12v! :facepalm:

The problem could also be a video issue, if its a new build, it could be a dodgy video card, it could well be posting as you said the fans are spinning up, but just not displaying on the monitor. test the monitor and cable on another machine, and if possible whack the graphics card in another machine to test it.

si-skyline
07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Good post except ... "locate the mobo battery and remove it for 20 mins while moving the Clear_CMOS pins if it has one on the mobo" ....

Overkill city here ...

Im just going by what I remember from a Asus manual (I like to buy asus). plus there is nothing wrong with being over sure. On one of my mobos me and XCoM had to remove the small chip on the Mobo to make it reset. now thats overkill.

Its just better to be over active rather then assume it will be oki. I know my self a mobo BIOS will do it alost automaticlly when the battery is removed. that bit extra never hurts.

Hackscore, Im with you there. disconnecting and reconnecting everything other then the CPU chip is a very good methord to do

---
EDIT
---

Ps. another troubleshooter remember to have the small speaker installed in the mobo and wait for the beep