PDA

View Full Version : n00b vs Newb

Whisp
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
I have noticed multiple times in this forum people using the term n00b or noob and even using it on themselves or using in titles and such. I personally feel there is a difference between the two spellings. n00b to me is an anoying gnat that goes around the forum being a pain in the butt lol and doesn't want to learn anything. A newb is someone new to something but is willing to learn.

This here is a good article that I find relevent and explains it well lol.

This is just a personal opinion on the matter so peeps don't go all haywire lol

Article here (http://www.forum-central.com/showthread.php?t=4268&highlight=noob)

Frakk
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
hahaha this is funny.

Whisp
04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
hahaha this is funny.

I knew you would like it heheh ;)

fishies
04-04-2005, 06:58 PM
n00b v.s NewB The Chonicles of the Language of the Net

I remember well the first time I heard someone say newb. It was a Tuesday.

Seriously though, It's all personal preference. I like both, so...

What I hate is when people write kewl instead of cool.

Newb/noob is a slang term with no real predecessor, so either are acceptable. Cool, however, had been established long before the development of 'netspeak' and needs to stay C O O L.

Whisp
04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
What do you mean by no predecessor. Like an acroynym or something.

Like newb from my understanding stands for newbie or new b with a space in which they shoved it all togther in which that stood for new beginner.

n00b was brought in as sort of an insult and as a deferetial to the term.

thats my understanding on it.

fishies
04-04-2005, 07:34 PM
newbie is a relatively new term, which the whole netspeak dissected to get newb, then n00b.

Whisp
04-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Well we all have our opinions :)

I personally think things evolve with their meanings and this is such a case as described with the article I linked above when it comes to this word and the meaning of the different spellings.

I personally agree with the article.

some may not

MrSlacker
04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
for me, n00b is more of a fun way of saying newb or a person that doesnt know something

altec
04-04-2005, 09:43 PM
So what am i a noob or a newb?

Frakk
04-04-2005, 10:27 PM
definietly a noob :? :D

altec
04-04-2005, 11:25 PM
DAM :p

JesDer
04-05-2005, 01:12 AM
n00b was brought in as sort of an insult and as a deferetial to the term.

You had me right up to that. Actually noob started with the whole leet speak thing and just like Leet, Kewl, Sux, ... it just kind of stayed around morphing the spelling (for lack of a better word) along the way. In reality all variations where used as insults at times. It really comes down to context. The first time I remember seeing Newbie was on a BBS. The first time I saw Leet speak being used was on IRC before the days of the web (including n00b).

Really .. I think you can trace the replacement characters to computer security. It stands to reason that it was born from password pratices. I know many network admins that use replacement rules in password creation (example - search becomes S3@rch or 53@rch). This was common not that long ago, now most smart people use random strings for anything important.

altec
04-05-2005, 01:29 AM
You got a point but noob/newb i think really got started on forums....... ... and xbox live j/k.

Whisp
04-05-2005, 06:56 AM
You had me right up to that. Actually noob started with the whole leet speak thing and just like Leet, Kewl, Sux, ... it just kind of stayed around morphing the spelling (for lack of a better word) along the way. In reality all variations where used as insults at times. It really comes down to context. The first time I remember seeing Newbie was on a BBS. The first time I saw Leet speak being used was on IRC before the days of the web (including n00b).

Really .. I think you can trace the replacement characters to computer security. It stands to reason that it was born from password pratices. I know many network admins that use replacement rules in password creation (example - search becomes S3@rch or 53@rch). This was common not that long ago, now most smart people use random strings for anything important.

Makes sense to me :) Guess I was off a bit on that part of it. I still think however that the two spellings have morphed into two meaning though.

The_Wippuh
04-06-2005, 01:02 PM
It's all about the nup, a derivative of nub.