PDA

View Full Version : FEAR issues

AKA_RA
01-30-2006, 12:13 AM
i recently got FEAR. and so far it runs great on my system, but only for a few minutes, then its gets really slow, and kinda choppy, then eventually locks up and i have to restart. why would this be happening in this one game and not anything else i own? anyone got any ideas?

Crimson13
01-31-2006, 12:00 AM
If it starts out ok then goes down hill my first idea would be that your video card is overheating from the stress of the game, F.E.A.R. can pull a very high load to the card even without running the game on high settings. My advice is to turn down the settings to med or low and maybe look into getting better cooling for the card. Thats my input maybe someone else will have any other ideas.

AKA_RA
01-31-2006, 12:39 AM
its not a heat issue. at least i dont think it is. in fact, it seems to run longer when i overclock and turn the settings to medium as opposed to low. the card itself is running pretty cool. its an MSI 6600GT and it seems to run everything else but this game just fine. it does seem to run longer if i turn down the physics of the game, but it still gets slow and eventually freezes. another interesting thing is, if it gets slow and i try to load a quicksave game, itll crash to the desktop and say "out of memory" ive got a gig of corsair in my machine, so im wondering if this is just me being unlucky. ive never ran into such problems with a game before.

Crimson13
01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Well thats the only thing i can think of is either your vid card or ram is getting too hot. about not having problems with any other games FEAR is one of if not the most demanding of your machine on the market today, it blows BF2 and COD2 out of the water when it comes to pull on the machine. other than that I'm sorry to say i dont have any other ideas for you, I hope someone else on here does.

Varock
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Have you ruled out your system's memory. FEAR will likely hit memory that will not be touched by other games. I would try memtest/memtest86. You can get it from a number of sites. (guru3d, etc) It will build a floppy that you use to test memory on a reboot. Be sure to let it run for a number of hours for best results.

This will at least rule out one possibility.

Oblivion72
02-14-2006, 09:22 PM
its probably your ram, ive had problems like this in the past with games like quake4 and guildwars. After buying a 200 dollar hdd i learned that it was the ram. lol

DaveW
02-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Have you ruled out your system's memory. FEAR will likely hit memory that will not be touched by other games.

I agree with Varock. Check the RAM, if you've not got enough, then that's the problem.

-Dave

Redbeard
02-15-2006, 01:05 PM
I've got a gig of corsair ram, a 3ghz CPU, and a Radeon 9800 Pro and I run the game perfectly on medium quality. Although I can't play it too long... it starts to mess with my mind...that little girl sure knows how to scare the crap out of people...

unknownconcepts
02-16-2006, 09:22 AM
I've got a gig of corsair ram, a 3ghz CPU, and a Radeon 9800 Pro and I run the game perfectly on medium quality. Although I can't play it too long... it starts to mess with my mind...that little girl sure knows how to scare the crap out of people...
hahah true.
its most likely the ram. i had the same problems with FEAR