PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 8" floppy

x88x
08-20-2009, 11:28 PM
So, this is a really odd request, I know. Does anyone have a working 8" floppy drive that they would be willing to sell/trade? I'm looking to spend less than $50 or trade (preferable).

I'm working on building a system for the sole purpose of reading old storage media. So far, I've only got 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives and an old HP tape drive, but I recently realizes that this stuff is getting more and more expensive, so I gotta get moving on this :D

crazybillybob
08-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Wow, the last 8" Floppy that I worked with were MFM interface I think... do they even make a PCI to MFM board? that was in the time of ISA and Micro-channel wow I'm dating myself ... while your at you should see if you can get a 10" drive too. It was mostly a mainframe drive... but then you'd have it all :)

by the way I think I tossed all my 10" and 8" drives out 12-15 years ago...
Still have my Zip Drive !! and my wife's LS120 drive :)
CBB

x88x
08-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Actually, the MBB that I'll be using for this system will hopefully be an old mATX AMD K6..assuming it still works.. and it has two EISA connectors. So, yeah, I'll need a controller card for it too, but I figured one step at a time, right? :D

billygoat333
08-21-2009, 02:36 AM
lol i was digging through my crap and stumbled across an ancient ISA modem, think it was a 14.4k one. remember crawling on the net on a crappy dialup connection? wow.

as for the title of this thread, I just gotta say it. I thought for a second you were lookin for a horsecock. haha.

Bopher
08-21-2009, 02:42 AM
lol i was digging through my crap and stumbled across an ancient ISA modem, think it was a 14.4k one. remember crawling on the net on a crappy dialup connection? wow.

as for the title of this thread, I just gotta say it. I thought for a second you were lookin for a horsecock. haha.

lol, I remember when my buddy got a 14.4 modem and we hit up the BBSs in town. We dragged the computer out to the living room so we could reach the phone line.

I didn't even know they made 8" disks.

billygoat333
08-21-2009, 02:44 AM
haha I remember buying a 50ft phone cord so we wouldnt have to move the computer. good times. lol

Airbozo
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
So, this is a really odd request, I know. Does anyone have a working 8" floppy drive that they would be willing to sell/trade? I'm looking to spend less than $50 or trade (preferable).

I'm working on building a system for the sole purpose of reading old storage media. So far, I've only got 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives and an old HP tape drive, but I recently realizes that this stuff is getting more and more expensive, so I gotta get moving on this :D

Let me check in the old pile in the back of the warehouse...

Need any other ancient media devices?

lol, I remember when my buddy got a 14.4 modem and we hit up the BBSs in town. We dragged the computer out to the living room so we could reach the phone line.

I didn't even know they made 8" disks.

My first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler... It was a standard accessory to that 50lb portable computer with the 4" screen I had to lug with me on field calls...

x88x
08-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Let me check in the old pile in the back of the warehouse...

Need any other ancient media devices?

That would be awesome. Anything that still works (or might be made to work). Controller cards would be awesome too, but possibly not as rare (depending on the interface, I suppose). I do have an old ISA SCSI controller back in my piles at my parents house, that I know still works..I think it's Ultrawide SCSI, but that might be completely wrong, seeing as how it's been, like, 6 years since I saw the thing.

My first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler... It was a standard accessory to that 50lb portable computer with the 4" screen I had to lug with me on field calls...

Heheh, nice. I'm a little sad I missed all that. My first modem was a 56k. And the internet existed by then.

Oneslowz28
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM
The AMD K6 rig I have has thr MFM interface