PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any good addressbook apps

luciusad2004
08-30-2009, 03:14 AM
Does anyone have any good addressbook / contact managers, for windows? My old mac had a nice simple address book application that came with OS X and it was sort of nice to be able to keep all that information stored on my computer. (I'm horrible with phone numbers and addresses, I have a hard enough time remember my own.)

Anyone have any suggestions or know if something like this exists? I don't want/need anything overly complicated.

Also, Suggestions from the Linux crowd would be appreciated as well. I haven't used Ubuntu in a while but It would be nice to know in case I ever want to fire her up and still be able to keep track of my contacts.

si-skyline
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Windows address book??

maybe Outlook 2007

or the cloud effect, Google

All can be deployed to sync via mobile or syncing software on a PC.

I'm currently on a buzz with Googles online address book as no matter what happens the contacts I have will always be reachable. But I do enjoy Outlook it seems to work well with nokia and sony mobile phones. Plus a lot of contact points can be stored making it really handy when sending a E-mail or wanting to call someone

Should mention also I am now using the Nokia N97 and in the past used the Nokia N95 8GB

Oneslowz28
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I use outlook but have used the address book that comes with mozilla thunderbird.

luciusad2004
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I don't think I have outlook, do you need the full version that comes with office becuase I can't afford office lol.

I'll def take a look at Google and Thunderbird. I used thunderbird for a while for email and never discovered this feature. (I tend to get stuck in using just the basic stuff I need in programs and not discovering all of its features.)

Is windows address book free? I've never heard of it? Would it be on XP by default or is it part of that Windows Live software package mSoft put out to compete with all the bundled apple apps?

Airbozo
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I _think_ outlook express comes with XP or Vista. Check it out.

I would also recommend Thunderbird, since it works on Linux and Windows...

luciusad2004
09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I _think_ outlook express comes with XP or Vista. Check it out.

I would also recommend Thunderbird, since it works on Linux and Windows...

yeah cross platform actually does mean a lot to me, one of the big reasons I'm so faithful to Mozilla. I wasn't specifically looking for it, but given the choice I lean heavily towards cross platform. I can live without cross platform as long as I can find a cross platform file type for easily transporting the data. I wonder if address book data is easy to back up...

si-skyline
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
the windows address book is preinstalled and sits under

start . All programs . Accessories . Address book.

The path it off the top of my head. If its not there it will be under a sub menu in accessories.
It also uses a common format called v-card. But is very basic.

If cross platform is what you need i would say check googles one. It can store alot of stuff also has room for profile pics.

Get google and then a address book program suited to the operating system you using and make it sync to the google server