PDA

View Full Version : Mac dorks are offended by HP commercial

TheGreatSatan
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM
So there's those new PC commercials where they have someone pick between a Mac or PC. The people always buy a PC because Macs are so damn expensive. One of the newer ones features Lauren, a very cute redhead (http://assets.techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/picture-2-215x181.jpg) who apparently offends one Mac user (http://technologizer.com/2009/03/28/why-microsofts-lauren-ad-is-offensive/)

LiTHiUM0XiD3
09-03-2009, 11:33 PM
whiny eh... stuck up... and whiny... :)

FuzzyPlushroom
09-03-2009, 11:42 PM
The bit I loved the most was this.

"...red flag here already, anyone who is even remotely interested in a Mac knows it’s the Apple Store..."

Sure they do. Not like Apple's been trying to make Apple synonymous with Mac for the last two decades, surely not. And nobody out there buys a Mac because the ads say that it's easier to set up and use (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctjNrCThQNc) or that it's less likely to get bogged down with a virus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Z386vXrt4); no, the company the author of this 'article' worships would never try to gain computer-illiterate just-make-it-work customers that way.

Beyond that bit of elitist stupidity, though, some of his 'facts' grate on me.

Lifetime in-person tech support? Oh, you mean the Apple Store. That I have to drive an hour and something to get to because I live in a small town.

I've got lifetime in-person tech support. I have hands, a brain, and Google. They fix my Inspiron 9400, my Eee 900A, and my two... three... more than three desktops.

(Can't defend HP laptops, though. All the ones I've seen from the past few years have been junk. No company's perfect, though - not Dell, not Lenovo, not Apple.)

EDIT: Oh, and as an example from our own forum, Apple's amazing tech support sure didn't let... OH WAIT YES IT DID (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=258805). If he'd paid more, they might have helped him. (That's some awfully expensive free support.)

Oneslowz28
09-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Typical Mac user. They are fine throwing the punches but when the big guy throws one back they run home crying "mommy he beat me up. "

Zephik
09-04-2009, 12:03 AM
The # vs # commercials are so stupid. Why can't companies just go "Okay, look people, our product has this and this and this, its awesome because of those reasons and thus you should buy it." Is that so much to ask for?

Also, if you get offended by commercials, especially these kind, you need to get a life.

I don't suppose this person thought that maybe she wants to be cheaper and that, I don't know, you can't be cheap with Apple products since you know, they aren't cheap? That's kind of the point of the commercial isn't it?

There are two markets here, the expensive and the cheap. Not everyone wants or needs to shell out a minimum of a grand for a laptop. Some people are perfectly happy with that $400-$700 laptop, which they can't get from Apple because they don't exist. With Apple, you get high-end. Period. Not everyone wants that and so [Insert Brand Here] comes along and goes, hey, there is a whole market here with plenty of money to be made that otherwise wouldn't be, you don't want it Apple? Alright, that's totally cool, enjoy your sliver of the market, but we're gonna make bank by offering products all up and down the price ladder.

I guess some Apple users just don't understand any of that. ...and just to play devils advocate here, I'm also going to say; And I guess some [other] users just don't understand that there's nothing wrong with expensive products. Can't we all just get along? There is no single brand or product for everyone because everyone is different. Some want this, some want that, so if this brand doesn't offer this or that, then go to one that does. Again, sort of the point of the commercial.

BuzzKillington
09-04-2009, 01:02 AM
What a douche.

Collinstheclown
09-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Misleading consumers into thinking they can get good computers for rock bottom prices.

Yeah, what a terrible thing that would be. Damn shame a notebook is sub-$600 and can do most of what the average young, hip, student would need.

Crap, did I just stereotype that macs are aimed at young, hip, students? Hope I don't offend...

-CollinstheClown

TheGreatSatan
09-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I just watch for the redhead

Collinstheclown
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Bow-chicka-wow-wow

-CollinstheClown

Oneslowz28
09-04-2009, 10:14 AM
90% of mac users have a smugness about them just like 100% of prius drivers do. They act like they are doing the world a favor by owning a mac. Being a photographer I experience this all the time. If I am on a campus and editing photos between half times of what ever sport someone will always walk up and say something like "a mac could edit your photos faster" or "you know that macs are made for photographers right"

I find it annoying and funny at the same time. People push mac this and mac that but a mac is nothing but a pc now with a different OS. No right button and only ugly white colors. If a Mac was so great at photo editing then apple aperture would be # 1 photo editing program on the market. Photoshop still is and I will stick with it.

SXRguyinMA
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I just sit and laugh lol

Luke122
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
If I am on a campus and editing photos between half times of what ever sport someone will always walk up and say something like "a mac could edit your photos faster" or "you know that macs are made for photographers right"

When people tell me that, I say, "Oh yeah? Prove it. Go buy a Mac, and the software, and then we'll do it side by side."

I own a Mac mini, and all I use it for is internet browsing, torrents, and media functions. It's too underpowered for my heavy photoshop stuff.

farlo
09-04-2009, 02:22 PM
i have yet to see why people take their OS choice so seriously.
microsoft, apple, linux whatever works for your needs.

Oneslowz28
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
When people tell me that, I say, "Oh yeah? Prove it. Go buy a Mac, and the software, and then we'll do it side by side."

I own a Mac mini, and all I use it for is internet browsing, torrents, and media functions. It's too underpowered for my heavy photoshop stuff.

The power part is right. There are times when I am editing am enlarged .tiff thats around 45mb and I am performing a processor intensive action like unsharp mask or any one of the filters and it bogs down my 3ghz 6000+ x2 like I was trying to render 10,000,000 polygons on blender or something. I remember during the presidential campaign I was at an event where Hillary Clinton, Her husband, and several other high level politicians were speaking and I was always the fastest photog to transmit images to my clients. The other 15 or so photogs there were using macbooks and had a hard time keeping a net connection over the wireless. All I had to do was flip a switch and bam 10 seconds later I was online.

Another odd relation I see is that most of us canon guys use PC whereas almost all nikon guys who are not newspaper related use macs. This is a trend I see throughout the photography world. Most of the members on Photography-on-the.net are pc users and the majority on the nikon site are mac snobs.

Xpirate
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
90% of mac users have a smugness about them just like 100% of prius drivers do.

Linux/Unix people also have a tendency to have this same smugness. Setting up a Linux machine to do somethings that just work with a Mac or Windows machine isn't always that easy. So the Linux snob at least has that.

I like that MS ad. An HP ad always follows where "Lauren" talks about her HP, but it never shows her face. I kind of wonder if it is the same girl.

TheGreatSatan
09-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Studies show that men only look at the chest down anyway.....

Omega
09-05-2009, 05:12 PM
seriously, it's like oh boo hoo, one company made fun of another.

get over it.

advertising is supposed to sell products, not necessarily tell you the whole story.

Xpirate
09-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Apple slings a lot more mud at MS with those, "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC," ads.