PDA

View Full Version : Turn Linksys WRT54G ver.3 into...?

Zephik
09-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Does anyone know what you can do with a Linksys WRT54G V.3?

I was thinking maybe a wireless repeater to improve signal connection. I'm only getting about three wireless bars right now with my laptop's built-in wireless receiver. I'd imagine this router, if convertible, would be much more powerful and versatile in that I can put it in various locations to help get the best signal possible.

I've taken a look at OpenWRT, but I can't make heads or tails of anything and I haven't a clue what to do or if that is even what I'm looking for?

If anyone knows how to do this and can give step by step directions that a monkey could follow, that'd be great! Its just sitting here collecting dust so I thought I'd might as well try to put it to good use.

Mach
09-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Instruction for DD- WRT are here (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX#v3.0). I've got several of these running right now. Its pretty easy to get it setup. The repeater can be a bit of a hassle. What type of security are you currently using (WEP, WPA, WPA2?)?

Zephik
09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm not currently using any security as I live out in the middle of nowhere so I have nothing to really worry about as far as WiFi stealing goes. As far as what my routers use, I have no idea. This router is a Linksys WRT54G but the router I'm currently using is a Netgear RangeMax 240 which is connected via ethernet to a wired (cable) Motorola Surfboard.

The instructions were helpful, but I don't know how to do any of that. Like upgrade firmwares.

Bopher
09-04-2009, 01:00 AM
I did this almost a year ago and I love how it worked out. Took a while and you have to be hardwired into the router to do it. I have this on my workbench down in the basement as a wireless AP, so now I can work on a PC in the basement and plug into the network there and run updates and pull programs that way instead of trying to drag everything upstairs to the router in the living room.
Weird thing was the linksys had kept dropping the signal and now I haven't had a problem. If you follow the instructions exactly on the site that Mach pointed to then you'll be fine. And they are very helpful in the forums.

Mach
09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Flashing firmware is pretty easy but take a look at this post:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

This is what you're describing, I believe. Can you do this setup? I can flash a router to swap with yours or flash yours but can you handle the post configuration. I can walk through the how-to. PM me if your interested and we can talk details.

Zephik
09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
1) Restore factory defaults with the original Linksys firmware.
2) Upgrade to Linksys latest firmware for my router (as stated above, read fine print to get right firmware)
3) Then upgrade to DD-WRT v23sp2_mini_generic. I also got to the Continue page, but never got the DD-WRT GUI.
4) Hold the reset button for 30 seconds (not power cycle)got to dd-wrt nice and easy.
5) Upgraded to dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin. note that i used the wrt54g-specific binary.
6) And everything worked after this.

1) How do you restore factory defaults? The tiny button on the back?
2) Downloaded Firmware, now what?
3) Where do I get this and how do I do it?
4) No problem here, a monkey could do that. lol
5) I'm guessing this isn't an actual step but a "this is where you should be now"?
6) I'm hoping so. lol

crenn
09-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Either in the admin panel or do 30/30/30 (hold button for 30, unplug, wait 30, plug back in and hold for 30).
Just follow the instructions!

Zephik
09-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Is there anyway to turn it into a receiver for a computer? Like say your wireless card goes out, could you plug this in and use it as an adapter somehow?

crenn
09-08-2009, 05:36 AM
DD-WRT - bridge mode ;)

Crazy Buddhist
09-08-2009, 05:49 AM
One thing to be aware of in using repeaters is that you will be almost halving the bandwidth of your wireless network as everything has to be sent and received twice. It can have a serious effect in degrading network throughput.

Wherever possible I would advise running Cat5e into a hub or switch - this can run up to around ~300+ feet without degrading throughput.

CB

crenn
09-08-2009, 06:16 AM
One thing to be aware of in using repeaters is that you will be almost halving the bandwidth of your wireless network as everything has to be sent and received twice. It can have a serious effect in degrading network throughput.

Wherever possible I would advise running Cat5e into a hub or switch - this can run up to around ~300+ feet without degrading throughput.

CB
Repeaters? Who's talking about repeaters. I'm talking about the router acting like a fixed wireless client and forwarding data to the router via the wireless link.

Zephik
09-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Its telling me to set wireless mode to repeater for universal wireless repeater, but there is no repeater option. There is only AP, Client, Client Bridge and Adhoc.

??

Crazy Buddhist
09-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Its telling me to set wireless mode to repeater for universal wireless repeater, but there is no repeater option. There is only AP, Client, Client Bridge and Adhoc.

??

Client Bridge mode (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge) is what you are after I think. That way all parts of your network will be on the same subnet and see each other.

Repeaters? Who's talking about repeaters. I'm talking about the router acting like a fixed wireless client and forwarding data to the router via the wireless link.

Sorry in the first post there was discussion of using the device as a repeater.

CrazyB

Zephik
09-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I selected Client Bridge Mode and clicked apply. I lost internet signal so I went and disconnected it from the modem and reconnected the other router. Now I have it in my room and plugged in, but I can't connect to it because it doesn't show up under my wireless icon. Does it only work if I'm directly connected to it?

Crazy Buddhist
09-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I selected Client Bridge Mode and clicked apply. I lost internet signal so I went and disconnected it from the modem and reconnected the other router. Now I have it in my room and plugged in, but I can't connect to it because it doesn't show up under my wireless icon. Does it only work if I'm directly connected to it?

In client bridge mode the router will allow devices connected to it by ethernet to see the machines on the router it is bridged to.

I haven't done this myself so I can't help you with detailed troubleshooting Zeph .. sorry .. but I think you are not far from having what you want.

I believe the primary modem/router has to act as the DHCP and gateway for devices on the bridged router. That might be your trouble spot now?

You could try setting the TCP/IP properties on your client machine to a fixed IP address in the first routers range, set the appropriate Netmask and the primary router as the gateway. If you have connectivity then you really are close .. it's just getting the DHCP server to pass through the other router.

Also make sure the bridging router has an IP address in the same range.

CB

EDIT

Instructions update for V24: DHCP does not work between the DHCP server in the primary and the DHCP clients in computers connected to the secondary in this configuration with V24. You will have to assign static IP addresses like 192.168.1.10x to the computers connected to the secondary, a different one for each computer of course. Then it works fine. Annoying! -- This doesn't seem to be a problem with the currently recommended V24 SVN builds as of 2/22/09.

Thought as much ..... this could be what's stopping you.

Zephik
09-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I think I bricked this stupid thing. I've tried all the reset methods just short of opening it up. The power is lit and the wlan is lit but it won't show up under my computers wireless connections. That and when it was working, I updated the firmware to a newer version and then I wasn't able to log in, so I reset it. After I attempted a 30 sec reset, it stopped showing up under my wireless connections.

oh well. I give up. too much of a hassle now. anyone want to buy it? lol

Crazy Buddhist
09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I think I bricked this stupid thing.

oh well. I give up. too much of a hassle now. anyone want to buy it? lol

You're quite the salesman aren't you ;) lol

Shame you may have bricked it but ... have you tried connecting with an ethernet cable and logging into the interface? .. if you get in it ain't bricked.

CrazyB

Zephik
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I connected it via ethernet and it has wireless broadcast disabled as default. I got into it and its no longer DD-WRT so I must of flashed it with the wrong one when I reflashed it. Its now Free-man Basic v1 so I'm now downloading DD-WRT v24 Final ...hopefully that's the right one.

http://www.neowin.net/news/software/08/05/23/dd-wrt-v24-final

How many routers do I need to do this? My current setup is like this...

ISP > router > router > laptop

The red arrow is the problem. I can't get my second router to take the wireless signal from the first router and so when I connect to the second router, its as good as useless since its only broadcasting dead air.

Zephik
09-10-2009, 07:01 PM
In the link posted directly above, it directs me to a download page that I can't make heads or tails of. Can anyone help me out here? What the heck am I supposed to download?

Zephik
09-10-2009, 10:33 PM
anyone?

Edit: I downloaded "dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin", hoping thats the right one. Why they made it so incredibly confusing is beyond me.

Edit2: HAHAHAHA! I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING! :D

Screw this, why am I washing dishes? I should be working at geek squad or something. ...it'd only take me 2 days to do anything, but that's still better than what they currently offer. lol

:smoker:

Crazy Buddhist
09-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Good on you :)

Crazy Buddhist
09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
How many routers do I need to do this? My current setup is like this...

ISP > router > router > laptop

The red arrow is the problem. I can't get my second router to take the wireless signal from the first router and so when I connect to the second router, its as good as useless since its only broadcasting dead air.

Just one question. Are you connecting the laptop to the second router by wire (ethernet) or wireless?

If it is wireless then what I said earlier about roughly halving throughput will apply since the second router is acting as a repeater.

CB

Zephik
09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm connected to the second router via wireless. I was connected to them both, the first wired and the second wirelessy, but then I realized I didn't need the ethernet cable anymore. lol Kind of a duh moment.

So far I haven't been able to notice a reasonable difference since I've gone wireless. Its kind of funny since the one router is only receiving like a 10-15 percent signal and then of course it goes to the other router, you would think it would be so much slower than what it is or something. Not that I'm complaining or anything. lol