PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Exploration games

TheGreatSatan
09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a nice Quad system with a dual GPU and 8 gigs of Ram and just want to walk around in a huge game and explore like in Myst. There could even be some puzzles to do along the way but that's it. No combat, no MMO, no SIMS or flight SIM, no 1st person shooters.

I saw this on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Uru-Ages-Beyond-Myst-Pc/dp/B00008Z0IA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1252455825&sr=8-16)

Any ideas?

Oneslowz28
09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Oblivion is about as large as it gets.

y4na
09-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Fall Out 3 is made by the same company Bethesda Studios and it's HUGE. It's map is probably the same size if not larger than Oblivion.

Check out a few of these Bethesda games http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/games/games_main.html

Sorry didn't read your post fully :S

BuzzKillington
09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I've found a lot of exploration games are those point and click games where you decide which route to go rather than being able to freely run around.

TheGreatSatan
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Any exploring space games?

simon275
09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
No combat, no MMO, no SIMS or flight SIM, no 1st person shooters.

Wow tough one. Freelancer comes to mind but it is a bit old. Sins of a Solar Empire Maybe....

blueonblack
09-09-2009, 03:55 AM
Have you tried Assassin's Creed? I'm pretty sure you can ignore the single-player storyline in that one, and the graphics are excellent.

Oneslowz28
09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I have sins of a solar empire. Its huge and tedious.

rendermandan
09-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Any exploring space games?

Not really a game, but Google earth has a sky/stars section.

Luke122
09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Why no MMO's?

Guild wars has some pretty graphics and a fairly large world to explore.. WoW (yes, I know.. it's like trying to sell crack) is tons of fun, and there's lots to explore also, Aion is in Beta right now, I'm hoping to check it out soon, and of course there's so many others.

Grand Theft Auto? Huge city to explore, and you dont have to do anything if you dont want to.

Kayin
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
EVE Online, you could go explore, and mine, and such-and it's HUUUUUGE.

Luke122
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
If it's the monthly cost you want to avoid, then Guild Wars is a good bet, and it's pretty. :D

GTA is huge, and as far as I know, no monthly cost. I have no interest in this game though, so I'm probably not the best one to ask.

Datech
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
The big games are like this, and I didn't take into consideration the genres you don't want:

EVE Online
Guild Wars, WAR, and WoW
GTAIV
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Sins of the Solar Empire
Assassin's Creed

I have played all of them to varying degrees. They are all large, and I haven't completed a single one of them. Out of the pack I think you would have the most fun with Oblivion and EVE (after you get past the learning curve). Check them all out for yourself though.

d_stilgar
09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I enjoyed Riven. That was pretty good. Are you more looking for really big, or puzzle adventure? There's plenty of good adventure games if that's what you want. Monkey Island is my favorite, esp MI3.

y4na
09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
How about fable? The story line is probably better than Oblivion and the combat is MUCH better, also the spells that you learn is SO COOL. But you can't jump in the game (WTF were the developers thinking?)

Oneslowz28
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
games where you can not jump = FAIL

y4na
09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
games where you can not jump = FAIL

Yeah but I still think it is better than Oblivion.

Oneslowz28
09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Its kinda hard to beat oblivion. Oblivion is one of the best games I ever played and thats saying a lot. I have been a hard core gamer since the original NES came out.

simon275
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
EVE Online, you could go explore, and mine, and such-and it's HUUUUUGE.

Or As I like to call it "spreadsheets in space".

Yeah as everyone else has said Oblivion and Fallout are very good if you like a good explore.

TheGreatSatan
09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
From what I've read about Oblivion, it sounds like WoW. I have no desire to be a dwarf or whatever just to walk around a game. I went to Best Buy and for $10 I got a three pack of games:

Rhem 2
Scratches directors cut
Penumbra

I just started playing Scratches last night and I was instantly annoyed. There's no instructions! I couldn't even figure out how to make my character walk!! I tried the arrows, no luck. I tried the key combo: w,a,s,d, no luck. Turns out you can use the mouse to spin around and the cursor turns into a pointing finger which you click to take you in that direction. It's annoying because you have to do stuff in order for the game to let you procede. At one point I tried looking into a pot but it wouldn't let me. I have to go into another room and find a photo of the pot before it would let me go back and look inside to find a key.

Datech
09-10-2009, 09:17 AM
I have to go into another room and find a photo of the pot before it would let me go back and look inside to find a key.

In Oblivion you can look in whatever pot you want... You might get arrested if it was someone else's pot and they saw you do it though. Also, Oblivion is NOTHING like WoW:

First person POV
You can interact with ANYTHING
You can do ANYTHING you want
You never have to follow the main quest line to level up
It isn't an MMO
You hardly have any class restrictions
You decide if you are good or evil
You can kill ANYTHING
Tip of the iceburg...

Oneslowz28
09-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Also oblivion has a never ending suppy of user created mods.

TheGreatSatan
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Vista compatible?

Oneslowz28
09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
yes. Wal-mart has the Game of the Year edition for $20 and that inclused nights of the nine and shivering isles expansions.

Luke122
09-10-2009, 12:09 PM
You guys are all assholes. Now I want to try Oblivion. Thanks.

Bopher
09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I remember an older exploration game called Phantasmagoria or something like that. Some parts scared me. Especially at the end.

x88x
09-10-2009, 01:11 PM
EVE (after you get past the learning curve)

heheh, learning curve? hehehe....hahahahaha...:dead:

Seriously though, I gotta say, this is kinda an odd request. The only games I can think of that are really what you're looking for are the Myst games, and maybe some old adventure games (Monkey Island FTW!). It's a genre that has mostly died off over the years, probably because most people want to do something in the pretty world, not just wander. Pretty much everything else I can think of involves something else (combat/etc). I'll put another vote for GTA, I've only played Vice City, San Andreas, and IV, but at in at least those three you can completely ignore any and all quests. I've also heard good things about Freelancer, but have never tried it.

Sins of a Solar Empire is an awesome space RTS, but not really what you're looking for, I don't think. Again, I get the feeling it's not really what you're looking for, but maybe some of the RTS's that let you set the hostility level of the surrounding world?

Oneslowz28
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
You guys are all assholes. Now I want to try Oblivion. Thanks.Be warned that you can play oblivion for a year and not finish it.

Oneslowz28
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
This is why Oblivion is such a good game. Look at how much there is to do. This does not include shivering isles. link to the map http://www.oblivionmap.net/Cyrodiil.html

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5892/obl.jpg

BuzzKillington
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
You guys are all assholes. Now I want to try Oblivion. Thanks.

After reading the thread, I couldn't agree more. lol

I guess I gotta stop by walmart tonight. :facepalm:

EDIT: STEAM has a deluxe edition for $35 that includes:

This English-only Deluxe version includes the following Downloadable Content (DLC)

Fighter's Stronghold Expansion
Live the life of a noble warrior in this expansive castle with private quarters, grand dining hall, and a wine cellar.
Knights of the Nine Quest
Vanquish the evil that has been released upon the land. New dungeons, characters, quests, and mysteries await.
Spell Tome Treasures
Get these books and find low and high-level spells, as well as new powerful spells with multiple effects added.
Vile Lair
An underwater multilevel hideout for evil players to find refuge, providing your character with safe haven.
Mehrune's Razor
Conquer one of the deepest and most challenging dungeons in all of Cyrodiil to claim this fearsome weapon.
The Thieves Den
Uncover a famous pirate's lost ship and claim it for your own. Designed for stealth-based characters.
Wizard's Tower
In the frozen mountains of Cyrodiil stands Frostcrag Spire, a tower of wonders for your magic-oriented character.
Orrery
Harness the power of the stars. Rebuild the Orrery to unlock the secrets of this Mages Guild Inner Sanctum.
Horse Armor Pack
Tamriel is a dangerous place. Protect your horse from danger with this beautiful handcrafted armor.

Oneslowz28
09-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Make sure thats the full nights of the nine content pack (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Official_Plug-ins) and you will also want shivering Isles. This game is not complete without shivering Isles IMO.

This site will become your Oblivion Bible so to speak. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

and this site is helpful as well.
http://www.tesnexus.com

TheGreatSatan
09-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I may even be willing to get the first DOOM game just because it's easy and I'm not worried about dying so much