PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

altec
09-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Instead of copy/pasting from my other log, I figured I'd give you dudes (And chicks!) your own write up!

The truck will be getting a 12-bolt/10-bolt combo, 6" Lift kit, and 35" tires (Still deciding) for the frame-down.

Running it will be a 6.5NA HO diesel, Muncie 465 Transmission (Four-Speed 1st=Granny:1 4th=1.00:1), and a NP208 Transfer-Case. Exhaust will be manifolds into 5", into a 6" stack. I am painting it flat black. Flat black says "Hey look at that old rusty primer-mobile." Where as a bright flashy color says "Hey pull me over, I must be a trouble maker!" Plus, ever since I saw Death Proof...

The body will be the factory body with the complete dash out of another Silverado. As the truck is currently missing the steering column, I have another to put in it. The seats will be from a '06 Silverado. The inside of the truck is gutted of its extras. In place will be a floor mat, and bed liner for the metal.

The front-clip, and doors are from a 1991 Suburban (1991 was the last year of the third generation. They lasted a couple more years then the pickup). Has a more modern headlight, and the doors have a different mirror design.

Bed is the factory six-foot bed. Not a whole lot to say. When I got it, it had a plastic bed liner in it. I was dreading taking it out. Anybody who knows plastic bed liners knows they rust beds out. They rub the paint off, then trap water under them. I got EXTREMELY lucky! When we took it out, the bed only had some slight paint rubbed off with a little surface rust around screw holes. No dents, or dings either. I have a set of fancy tail lights I've been saving for years. Haha!

The mill is simply a 6.5 N/A from a GMC van. It is a L57 code engine. I'll be keeping it a N/A for now. I'm gonna turn the Injection pump up a little, and tweak the timing a little. As well as a propane injection. For those moments when you need a little extra go. Normally I'm not into adding extra crap, but I'll cut the short-stroke 6.5 a break! :D

Finish on the truck with be flat-black. Most likely Kirker Hot-Rod Black. I've used Kirker paint before, shoots good! Everything will be black on the truck! I plan on contacting a local powder-coating company about doing my bumpers, and wheels in black. The only part that won't be black is the motor. Which will be Alpine Green.

Getting back to reality, here is a quick to-do list.

Drag truck into shop (Done)
Remove front-clip (Done)
Remove drive Shafts (Done
Remove transfer Case (Done)
Remove transmission (Done)
Remove bed-liner (Done)
Remove motor (Done)
Torch bed bolts (Done)
Lift Bed/Sit on picnic table (Done)
Inspect Frame/Repair any rust (Done)
Remove Axles (Done)
Drag 12-Bolts Into Shop (Done)
Bolt axles onto truck/Remove cover/Check gear ratios (Half Done)
Clean/Paint Axles
Fix frame where steering-box pulled through (Done)
Connect steering/Plumb brakes (Steering Done)
Remove 350SB from donor Truck (Done)
Inspect motor/Clean motor/Paint motor (No need)
Attach Muncie 465 to motor
Install Motor/trans into truck
Install Transfer Case/Driveshafts
Install Clutch Pedal/Cut floor for Shifter (Clutch pedal in)
Remove old Seat/Dash (Done)
Coat door jams/dash/roof with Herculiner
Wire Dash (Gauge Cluster, AC, Lights)
Install Gas Tank/Hook Up Hoses
Plumb/Wire Motor
Details to get truck running
Install new front-clip
Wire Headlights/Turn signals
Remove Old Doors
Prep Truck For paint (Fix rusted rocker-panels, block sand truck, fix any dings/waves)
Spray behind cab/In front of bed
Bolt bed back on/Install new doors
Tape truck
Spray Truck
Remove tape/Install Final Details
Go for a drive, and work out anything I missed
Plan future mods

Some details might be in the wrong order, plus whatever I am forgetting.

On September 2nd We got the Truck in the shop, and the front-clip removed.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5591.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5594.jpg

On September 4th we got the drive shafts out, tranny mount out, speedo cable off, Transfer Case removed, and drained the oil in the tranny. Later I cut what was left of the exhaust out.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5618.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5623.jpg

On September 6th we got the bed liner out, and Transmission out (The stock was a 700R4).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5627.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5628.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5632.jpg

Next on the list is to pull the motor (The one in it is a 305). Then we need to get some Oxygen for our torch, and cut the bed bolts! One thing Chevrolet doesn't get right is bed bolts! Maybe they make them like that so people don't steal your bed? As well, I think they design the steering box to pull-through on the frame? Instead of using proper WASHERS they use these damn bushings! They do the same thing on the tranny mount! People try to say they are weak points on the frame, I don't buy it! Poor planning! So I now gotta pull the steering box off, and I am going to add new metal to the frame. Double up over the existing frame.

She has some work ahead, but anyone who knows rebuilding cars/trucks knows I got a solid platform! To get me around until this is done I still have the '97 2500 Cummins hauling 450hp 700ft/lb! After the Chevy is done, that Dodge will be getting some love as well. Need a new Torque Converter, and I want to put a shift-kit in the 47RE transmission. Plus it could stand a coat of paint! Also small details. Wiring problems. Cruise-Control don't work, my EGT gauge cuts out every time I use the turn signal (I have no idea!), and some other stuff.

Lemme know what you think about my old rusty, gas-guzzling, it-ain't-a-Ford truck! ;)

If this is to much for the Miscellaneous Projects forum, lemme know, I'll delete it, or have it deleted!

Excuse any typo's! I'm going back over to see what I missed!

billygoat333
09-11-2009, 01:19 AM
excellent! I love the old chevy! I used to have a '79 3/4 ton and beat the hell out of it when i was a teenager. thing would do just about anything I wanted it to, completely stock. coulda used a lift on it, but thats ok, thats what running boards and an I-dont-give-a-rats-a** approach is for :P

Liquid_Scope_99
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
This rocks man im a bowtie man myself i always wanted to do something like this myself bes t of luck will be watching this close.

rithunder916
09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
The 350 is great, should try to find a 454 :D Good build!

Good luck!

Mike

Luke122
09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I disagree with the 454. 350's are bullet proof, have tons of power potential, and are definitely more efficient engines. Yes, the 454 has MORE power potential, and can be equally tough, they just arent as plentiful as 350's. :)

rithunder916
09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Very true Luke!

altec
09-12-2009, 01:28 AM
The 350 is great, should try to find a 454 :D Good build!

Good luck!

Mike

Whatcha mean "find?" I already have one sitting in another donor truck. :whistler: Haha. The 350 is a choice. For my needs it is perfect. Small-Blocks are rock solid, make plenty of power. You can run the snot out of them, and they will just keep going.

If you want to pay to put fuel in the truck though, I might be talked into running the 454! :D

Now if I could hunt down a 400 Small-Block! Then we might be able to talk! Or a 5.9 Cummins! Those are my top two motors! Then the Nailhead, and the Flathead Straight-Four.

FuzzyPlushroom
09-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Now if I could hunt down a 400 Small-Block! Then we might be able to talk! Or a 5.9 Cummins! Those are my top two motors! Then the Nailhead, and the Flathead Straight-Four.

You're going in the right direction with the Cummins, but the unrelated 5.9 gasser - the 360 - wouldn't be bad either (bored/stroked 318 ). Me, I'd settle for a built-up 225 'Leaning Tower of Power', just for the hell of it. Gotta be in an old Dodge, though, of course. Hmm, even a Dakota, that'd be something... it'd beat the K-car 2.5 that the base models got, though the 318 they wedged in would walk it for power.

Anyway, the '73-'87s are great. I've got a friend who's restoring an '83 longbed in calf-crap gold; he's not planning quite as much as you are, I don't think, but it'll be tough enough, based on his '84 Monte.

BerticusPryme
09-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Wow didnt realise there were that many gear heads here. I had a '85 silverado short bed with a 383, 4 barrell holly carb, flowmaster glasspacks, 1 inch drop, dual 16 gallon tanks and a love for drinking gas like a dodge ball loves fat kids. It was chevys snowflake white. I miss it so much but Id ont miss feeding it $125 weekly in gas.

farlo
09-12-2009, 08:05 PM
heh that truck brings back memories,

my first vehicle was an 86gmc sierra, which looks exactly the same with different emblems, mine was a long bed though, the 350 was fun though.

altec
09-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Wow didnt realise there were that many gear heads here. I had a '85 silverado short bed with a 383, 4 barrell holly carb, flowmaster glasspacks, 1 inch drop, dual 16 gallon tanks and a love for drinking gas like a dodge ball loves fat kids. It was chevys snowflake white. I miss it so much but Id ont miss feeding it $125 weekly in gas.

Lol, neither did I! I knew we had a couple because I was talking about my Dodge with them before. I had either expected to get ignored, or caught...stuff for my old gas guzzling old truck!

I haven't even bothered putting the truck on off-road sites. I know all I'm gonna hear is how I "should" do things, and how they would spend MY money.

Here I sit. Pondering what I wanna do. Tomorrow (Sorry, today) I want to fiddle with SOMETHING! I am dieing to mod, create, or destroy something!

I am also fiddling with the idea of my next project. I have to talk my parents in to letting me keep the other three trucks I have sitting around! I have a 1983 C20 (2x4 3/4-ton) Scottsdale. It is the truck I'm getting the 350 from. But, I really would like to try to do a 4x4 conversion on it. I have another Muncie 465, that big NP205, and a 454BB. That would be CRAZY in it, and I get the long-bed goodness! The 4x4 conversion would be fairly simple. It is just a matter of making some brackets, and simple measuring.

Here is the truck. It is in great shape, it is just a two-wheel. Not much use for me as-is. I have a bed for it, just no front fenders. I might be able to use the ones off this project, but I don't know if I screwed them up when I chucked them out the door after removing them lol.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/trucks/100_4242.jpg

I guess I should finish the first truck before planning a second? :D

Edit,

I apologize for the grammar. I don't have tree trucks! Haha!

billygoat333
09-13-2009, 02:00 AM
makes me miss my scottsdale. RIP good buddy, RIP.

my buddy is building a '69 ford f-100 shortbed that I will have to find pictures of. thing is a beast and will be sweet once he is finished. the best part is he is only 1000 bucks into the thing. found a shortbed for like 300 and a donor '73 w/ a 460 in it for 700 bucks. lucky bastard. haha

altec
09-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Today I'm hoping to get the bed off. After my Dad gets off work, we are gonna cut the bed bolts. Sadly, we are out of Oxygen for our torch! So we are gonna borrow a neighbors. If I am lucky, we will get the motor out while we are at it! Though, I'll settle for getting anything done! After we get the bed off I also have some work that won't take a extra set of hands, so that'll be good.

Also, last Sunday I made twenty bucks! Haha! Sold the wheels, and tires. The tires were a bit aged, and one of the wheels was chipped, so no lose for me. Saves me the trouble of getting rid of them, and I got money! :banana:

Sorry about not being a real update. Should have something tonight!

altec
09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Guess my last post went flying out the window! :mad:

Been WAY to long since a update! Today we got the bed bolts cut, bed removed, axle removed, reclaimed the new axle from vines, and loosely installed it.

So we got the bed bolts cut. Before that though we asked a fellow named Justin to make sure the gas tank was shutoff. He spent a few minutes trying to find a gas tank that doesn't exist lol. ANYWAY! One oil fire, one grease fire, and one...wire fire later, and the bolts are out! Then cut the vent tube, and removed the brake light wires. After that, proceed to lower the truck, and with four people, we got the bed off, and carried over to a waiting picnic cable. The perfect fleet side bed holder!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5661.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5662.jpg

Then we got the front shackle bolts off. You can't really get them off with the bed on. A easy way around that is to take a hole saw, and cut a hole in the back side of the hanger. The driver side one was easy, but the passenger took a bit of time. A bunch of time with a impact, breaker-bar, and a dream took care of it!

Before fully dropping the rear axle we used straps to hold the truck to the lift. The truck becomes extremely front heavy without the axle. Wouldn't want the truck flying forward like a retarded trebuchet.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5659.jpg

After pulling all the drum brake parts off (Good for spares), we removed the E-brake, and brake lines. Then finished pulling the bolts out of the hangers. Hook it to a golfkart, and drag it out!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5663.jpg

Then we went over, and started to drag the new axle out. That was not fun, but we got it! After rolling it over to the shop, we put it on jack stands, and pulled the cover. I was SHOCKED at what I found! A damn 3.08 gear! WTF is that? 3.08 on 35" tires? After that was over, we removed the old shackle bolts that were left on the new axles when they were torched out. That surprisingly went well!

Last, but not least we rolled the axle under, and stuck the bolts in.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5664.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5666.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5665.jpg

Before anyone wants to tell me about how I should get leaf springs for it, and ditch the blocks... If you'll pay for a set I will! Otherwise, I don't have the money!

Tomorrow I am going to wire wheel the frame/axle/leafs. and coat it in a rust inhibitor until it is ready for a proper coating. Then on Thursday I hope to get the motor out at least.

I may stick a couple more leafs in the pack. The axle is getting a posi. I need to get new gears. I'm debating if I want to do 4.11, or 4.56. I'm leaning to the 4.11 just because the 465 ain't a OD transmission, and if I need a lower ratio, I can slam it in four-wheel low. This ain't gonna be a crawler...

aintnothang
09-23-2009, 12:08 AM
cool

BerticusPryme
09-23-2009, 01:14 AM
go with the 4.11 gears. might even go as low as 410 but you should be good there and the blocks are fine. god i cant wait to see this done. if i can find them i may throw some pics of my old silverado on here for ya.BTW it looks great so far. is that axle 1/2 or 3/4 i cant really tell. I wanna say 3/4 but i could be wrong

altec
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
cool

Thanks!

go with the 4.11 gears. might even go as low as 410 but you should be good there and the blocks are fine. god i cant wait to see this done. if i can find them i may throw some pics of my old silverado on here for ya.BTW it looks great so far. is that axle 1/2 or 3/4 i cant really tell. I wanna say 3/4 but i could be wrong

Yeah, it should be alright with 4.11 gears. I may try 4.27 gears if I can find them easily enough. With my plan of 37" tires puts 4.11 a bit on the small side with a SB. Though 4.27=2520RPM at 65MPH, and 4.56=2692RPM at 65MPH. So it ain't THAT bad, just a little higher then I was hoping for. Here in Maryland we only have a handful of 65 roads anyway.

Post the pictures! :)

The old axles are GM 10-bolts. The ones going in it are GM 12-bolts from a K5 Blazer (The last post has the rear 12-bolt in the truck). They are both half ton axles. A future upgrade may be a Dana 70/60 combo, or a GM 14/Dana 60 combo. I already have a 14-bolt laying around, but a Dana 60 front is a bit out of my reach.

Luke122
09-23-2009, 05:25 PM
LOL.. right now I've got 3.43's in my S10, and I'm thinking, "Man, I need some 3.08's."

Of course, it's my commuter, and I regularly do 75-80mph for extended periods of time. Gotta love Alberta highways. :D:D:D

The little 2.5 with the 5spd behind it spins pretty high with the 3.43 rear end, so I should pick up some economy too.

chaksq
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice restore, looks like it shall be a very through build. I've got one slight problem with it though, it ain't a Ford.

Spawn-Inc
09-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I've got one slight problem with it though, it ain't a Ford.

... thats a good thing, we want it to work, not be found on road dead in a week.

FuzzyPlushroom
09-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Nice restore, looks like it shall be a very through build. I've got one slight problem with it though, it ain't a Ford.

Don't you drive a Mazda? ;)

chaksq
09-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't you drive a Mazda? ;)
No, i actually own a Ford ZX2. Although I'm more of a Subaru guy anyways, which is what my main car is.

I just commented that because he specifically was anti-Ford at the begining, when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy I prefer ford.

FuzzyPlushroom
09-25-2009, 12:29 PM
No, i actually own a Ford ZX2. Although I'm more of a Subaru guy anyways, which is what my main car is.

I just commented that because he specifically was anti-Ford at the begining, when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy I prefer ford.

Mazda BG platform. Shared with Ford, of course. That's why I was taking the piss. :)

I gotcha now, don't worry. I don't have much of an allegiance either way there.

altec
09-25-2009, 01:17 PM

When was that? I said "Lemme know what you think about my old rusty, gas-guzzling, it-ain't-a-Ford truck!" That wasn't specifically anti-Ford, or even vaguely anti-Ford. I'm sorry if you interpreted that way. The comment "it-ain't-a-Ford truck" was mainly aimed at my friends. They try to bust my balls about owning a Dodge truck, and Chevrolet truck('s). I myself try to stay out of that old debate. None of the companies are anywhere near perfect... Most of the time when someone goes off on some mind numbing rant about how "X" is better then "Y" they seem to "forget" about the problems that the company they are defending has.

Me? I know what I like, and I know what works for me. Old Chevy, and Dodge trucks work for me!

Back to the truck!

Wednesday I got most of the rear frame wire wheeled, and coated. Then Thursday we got the motor out, calipers off, and sway bar off. Then I remembered I'm a complete dumbass. Why did I think the front axle I was going to put in was a 12-bolt? It is a Dana 44. Because of this, I will be keeping the 10-bolt front axle. Taking the leaf packs off the Dana, and putting them on the 10-bolt. Maybe I'll throw the Dana up on Craigslist. See if anybody bites... If I can at least get enough money for plugs, wires, and belts, I'd be ahead of the game!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5674.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5680.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5681.jpg

chaksq
09-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Relax man, I was just joking around. I think its a great project regardless who made the truck back in 1986. I hold no brand loyalty. I like restoration of old cars because it means less cars getting junked.

altec
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, since Photobucket is being stupid, and not letting me upload photos, I am forced to use Imageshack!

First we fixed the steering box. Welding thick ass washers over where it pulled though, and making a plate with two welded on sleeves to keep the back bolts from pulling through. Sorry, no pictures right now.

Then we got the Dana 44 over to the shop to get the tires off, and the leaf springs off.

I swear, it wasn't me!
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6691/1005682.jpg

After dragging it over to the side door, we rolled it in...After smacking the frozen calipers with a hammer to get the tires to roll.

Blurry picture of the axle with the tires, and leafs removed.
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1931/1005686b.jpg

The leafs came off without a hitch! I was worried that the few years out in direct weather would have locked them up, but they came off no problem! After that, the old shackle bolts had to come off. Again, they came off without a hitch! Though the rear bushings sorta fell apart... Need new ones anyway.

After that the tires needed to come off. While getting a socket, I looked over and noticed the wheels had locks! DAMN IT! Wasn't a big deal though. Hammer, piece of 1" OD steel, and channel-locks took them off!

Now it was time to take the old leafs off. Although I had loosened the nuts a while back, the bolts didn't come off so easy. The back bolts came out no problem, but the fronts took a lot of hammer, breaker bar, and impact time! It took way longer then it should have!

Old leafs.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2141/1005685.jpg

So now it was time to put the new leafs in (temporary). That went well! Gives a little insight as to how the truck is going to sit when I'm done. With the slightly smaller tires then what is going on it, and the lack of rear bushing at the moment even when the motor is in the truck, it will still sit pretty good.

Again, this is just a mock up. The leafs have to come back off. I need to be able to roll the truck out of the shop though.
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4171/1005687p.jpg

Weight off the lift in this picture. It is 36" to the top of the bumper.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8865/1005684.jpg

Next I need to ghetto rig up a way to steer the truck. Then the truck gets rolled out, and the '84 gets rolled in to have the motor pulled.

altec
10-05-2009, 12:21 AM
The truck got rolled out today. A stroke of luck was the steering shaft where it connects to the column is 3/4". That fit a 3/4 ratchet perfect! So we just pulled out a 1/2 ratchet, and a 3/4 adapter. Made steering a piece of cake!.

Here is a couple crappy pictures of the truck without the lift in the way.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5995/1005702l.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3269/1005701p.jpg

I was digging around the shop, and I found a pair of Pro-Comp gauges. A in-dash 5" Tach, and Speedo. This will go with the 2" 5/8" Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Amperage Gauge (Looking on the Auto Meter site, I don't even see the amp gauge anymore lol). Now, because the tach will remove my fuel gauge, I'm gonna pick up a Pro-Comp 2" 5/8" one to put in the blank spot on the dash.

The dash I'll be using. The pad is a original, and ain't cracked. The instrument panel may get a coat of black paint on the stainless insert.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8137/1005698m.jpg

Here are the 5" gauges. It has been shelved for about five years. I thought I lost it for a couple of them years lol. It was out of a Blazer. Sadly, because the moron didn't have the proper clamps to hold the gauges in...he siliconed them in. So I gotta pry them out. Then I'm gonna do a little refurbishing. The black paint is chipping.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/558/1005700.jpg

The truck was pulled out for two reasons. A bunch of cars need oil changes, and we need to bring the truck that has the 350 in it to pull that.

While the truck is out, I may gut the interior while I'm at it.

Snowman
12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Where do I start other than I am in love.

Airbozo
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
More updates please!

This log is getting me excited about doing a rebuild on my '75 FJ40...

altec
12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Where do I start other than I am in love.

Haha! It is just a truck! Though I will have a passenger seat to take care of that detail! :up:8)

More updates please!

This log is getting me excited about doing a rebuild on my '75 FJ40...

Sadly, I don't have any. The last pictures you see, are what was done last. I may go ahead and start gutting the interior on the next warm(est) day. I am in need of a few sets of hands to get the motor out of the donor truck, and my Dad is either busy, or dead tired. :(

When you start on the 'Yota, don't forget a log! I'd love to see it! :smoker:

billygoat333
12-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I second the log on the FJ :D

altec
03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Good news! I'm not dead! Today being warm we were able to get the donor truck in the shop. Got that lifted up, drained the coolant and oil. Also got the converter unbolted. Tomorrow it will be time to pull the motor.

Snowman
03-16-2010, 08:30 PM
You have no idea how many times I wanted to thread res this and didnt glad to see you back at it.

altec
03-16-2010, 09:29 PM
You have no idea how many times I wanted to thread res this and didnt glad to see you back at it.

Haha. You could have. I wouldn't have minded. Honestly it is all done to timing, and weather. Finally things are aligning enough to get some work done. :)

Snowman
03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I just got done doing my volkswagen, little bit more aggressive cam, lifters, if I sold it I could go pick up a scottsdale deluxe on 38s running a 454.. oh man if gas mileage wasn't a factor the volkswagen would be gone so fast.

altec
03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I got a perfectly good 454 I'm not using for the same reason.

Good news! We got the mill out today. So tomorrow I'll be putting it on the engine stand and start tearing down. I'll have pictures tomorrow! I don't think porn is allowed, but Small Block Chevy nudes are worth the ban! :twisted:

altec
03-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Here we go. Today I got the mill up on the stand, and pulled some junk off of it. Intake, heads, and oil pan go next.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5864.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5866.jpg

msmrx57
03-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I've got a 6.2l diesel on my stand right now. 350 4 bolt on a cradle under the workbench.

altec
03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Cool. :) I'm not a huge fan of the 6.2 though. Now if I could find a 6.5 I'd be ecstatic. But if I go diesel down the road I am going to try to find a wrecked Dodge to get myself a 5.9 Cummins. Or if I could find it, and afford it (Haha...) a 8v92 Detroit. Just because those things are down right insane. Although shoe horning that in to the truck could prove interesting...

Bopher
03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Although shoe horning that in to the truck could prove interesting...

Isn't that what any modding is about? Liking this a lot. Making me miss my '68 C10.

msmrx57
03-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Well the main reason I got the 6.2 was the price. It's got 70,000 on it and got it for $200 complete. The only things missing is the starter, alternator and ps pump. What I'm doing with it a Cumming wouldn't fit, too tall. :D It's goin in my Impala.

altec
05-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Bad news, good news, great news.

Bad news is that this hasn't moved much. I pulled the heads off the 350. Looking at it she is NICE inside. Very clean, and you can still see all the hone marks clear as day. This is all I have done though...

The good news is a friend of the family has a Blazer he is going to let me steal parts off of. I'm taking the front springs that have brand new bushings in them. Also if I need anything else I have something to take the parts from.

The great news is that I may have found a way to get enough money together to hopefully get a 5.9 Cummins to put in it. More info on this later. But basically I'm looking for a 12-Valve with the matching 5-speed. More info on this later. Hope it works out.

Sorry, no pictures.

altec
06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Good news! Got my Engine! A 6.5L N/A HO diesel from a van. Got the van too lol. It was interesting driving to down-town Baltimore in a roll back to pick up a van from a crackhead-looking contractor that I'll bet he went straight to the dealer with the money that was given to him. But, I got my title to the van, and I'm happy. I also got a 4l80E I can put up on the CL if I want the extra cash. Anyone need one?

So, anyway, got a 6.5 N/A. Runs fine, solid engine. I just need to pick up a flywheel to mate it to my Muncie. My plan for now is to just get it on the road. So I'm going to go over the 6.5 and check all the normal stuff. Injectors, and such. And run it like this. I know the engine, I know how it is going to run. It isn't going to run like the 450HP Cummins I drive now, but then again I'm not hot rodding here. In a truck that ways under 7000lb's it will run fine.

But not to say I'll never do anything to it. :twisted: After I can get my girl something for a driver I may pull the 6.5 back out and start working on it. Start with the block. SCAT crank, studs all around, porting, anything I can do to help oiling, and if I can't get the compression down low enough with gaskets I'll put lower compression rings. I want it to 18:1 roughly. Then start bolting things on. marine injectors, remove the electronic IP for a big marine mechanical pump, new larger plumbing, electric lift pump (regulated), and other "Tweaks." But the biggest thing is twin turbos. Why? Because I'd rather run twins then try to screw with that retarded cross-over system for the driver size... Twin turbos running 25psi through a innercooler. Yummy! Then I'll run it until some thing breaks. I don't even care what numbers it will output. This is simply the combo I had in my head. But I can pretty much tell you that it would have enough power to keep up with any of these yuppies running just a tuner thinking they got a hot rod... Takes a lot more time to make make power on a mechanical, let alone the 6.5L. That everyone considers "Old."

Off my soap box now. No real pictures. I can upload a picture if anyone wants. It is a '95 Vandura 3500. Nothing amazing.

I'll be fiddling with the truck soon. I'm going to prep the firewall, and get it ready so I can drop the engine in. Then just go ahead and paint the frame. If I have to touch it up later, oh well... I can't be screwing around anymore. Need to get it going. Then I'll go get the front axle I am getting for it.

altec
07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Updates for all!

This evening I was pretty much just sitting around bored so I popped on my shoes, and went to fiddle with the truck. I Cleaned the fire wall up, and sprayed it with flat black paint. Nothing amazing, but it was something that needed to be done. Did it in three sections. two corners, and the tunnel. Pulling junk off as I went. Next I am going to get some paint to do the frame, and then I'm probably gonna bolt the clutch brackets on. Plus still pull all the useless junk on the firewall off. Like the stuff for the 700R4, and the vacuum can. All that useless crap.

Not perfect, and not the the fanciest. Although I'm not Chip Foose, and this isn't a show truck.

Before:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5961.jpg

After:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5960.jpg

Done(ish):
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5963.jpg

I need to pull the 6.5 soon. My Mom is getting unhappy lol. Need to get the van out of here.

Some interesting news is I might be getting a first-gen Ram 150 for a trade. It has a fresh 360 to go in it, and both a 727 Auto, or a 4-speed. I'll take pictures when I go to look at it! :up:

altec
07-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Productive Sunday! I had gotten the bench seat out yesterday. This morning got the truck pulled in the shop. Where I continued to finish gutting the inside. All panels, the carpet, and anything else that was in the way.

All the panels I took out.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5975.jpg

What I found under the seat belts...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5976.jpg

I watched Zombieland last night.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5977.jpg

Junk is gone. All the panels I took out will not be going back in. Who needs them?
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5978.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5980.jpg

Next I'm going to finish rigging the clutch. Then pull the steering column out of the old truck, and put in this one. Then I'm going to paint the frame. After this I can pull the 6.5, and get it ready to drop in.

Making progress.

Side note:

I decided I want to try and build something I remember seeing a while back. With some quick searching I was able to find it. Pretty much a simple system to shorten the shift. The only thing I see not right is the heim joint. It is mounted to the floor, not the tranny/case. Logic suggests to me that the second you get twisted up you are either going to slip into neutral, or bust the top loader.

So I'll see what I can do about this. I may wait until I'm done with the truck. Simple enough to make though.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/1-8-07003.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/1-8-07004.jpg

altec
07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
The saga continues. And nobody cares. :no:

Over the last few days I've gotten the frame coated in sealer. I need to pick up the paint for the frame to finish that.

I went to pull the steering column out of the other truck, but I was warned that a snake was seen around the truck. Ok, no big deal. So before I started pulling the seat I decided to poke around. First I found a snake skin wrapped around the transfer case shifter. Huh... Ok, well lets see if anyone is home. Under the seat? Nope. What about behind it? Huh, a old jacket. Under the jacket maybe? *Lift* Oh, yep! There he is! About a three-foot black snake. Past that, it is a long story. Tried to kill him, but he got away... So no steering column for me yet. Gonna go back later and take care of the problem.

I then modified the little tunnel piece to hold both pedals properly. I just need to get a longer bolt.

Sorry for the dark/blurry pictures. The blur is moisture on the lens. The dark is the shop lol.

And here is a interesting bit of info I picked up. I was sitting around with my Dad talking about the truck. He brought up tuning the engine later. I said what I would really like to do is get my hands on a Detroit 4-92 down the road. To which he replies "Well, your uncle has one sitting back on the farm." WUT? "It is either a 4-92, or 71. I don't remember." This could get interesting...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5983.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5984.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5982.jpg

msmrx57
07-30-2010, 02:51 AM
What are you going to paint the frame with? I used a product called Chassis Saver on the truck I'm working on. It can be either sprayed or brushed on and is very durable. It's used for coating repairs on semi frames.

Locum51
07-30-2010, 11:09 AM
What are you going to paint the frame with? I used a product called Chassis Saver on the truck I'm working on. It can be either sprayed or brushed on and is very durable. It's used for coating repairs on semi frames.

Yea, i'd suggest that or if you could try to find bad rust spots and cut them out and weld a new piece of metal in.

altec
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM

The sealer I sprayed is stuff by a company called Superco Specialty Products called Convert-A. I'm going to paint the frame, and axles with Rust-Oleum Hammered. Sprayed in hard to reach areas, and rolled everywhere else. The body I'm undercoating.

My frame is in top shape. No bad metal. Just light surface rust. That is all rust stopping agents are meant for anyway. Not rot. I wire wheeled the frame, and sprayed it. The wheel knocks any surface rust off. Rot should always be repaired. For a frame I would cut the rot out, and plate over it. That is the easiest, and strongest way to go. Although for things like these old trucks I'd also be hunting for a new frame. Which is why I'm using this one. My old frame was rotted out from years of plow duty.

billygoat333
07-30-2010, 04:32 PM
coming along quite nicely... make sure you post exhaust clips from your diesel! ;)

altec
07-31-2010, 12:09 AM
coming along quite nicely... make sure you post exhaust clips from your diesel! ;)

Haha. Well I'm hoping not to roll to much coal when it is done. Will do though! I'm going to do a single offset 6" stack with a flapper. I like that flapper clink, and I'm not putting one of those goofy boots on my stack when it rains...

altec
08-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, yesterday I got the bracket for the bell crank mounted to the frame. It was pulled off a Blazer so the rivets were still stuck in the holes. Hammered those out, and it was just a simple matter of bolting it up. GM was nice enough to put the holes in the frame for me! Sorry, forgot to take a picture.

I then went digging for the little ball that mounts to the bell housing. After looking at my housing I realized the part I was looking for was smaller then I thought. I had one of the later housings that had the ball threaded into the housing itself. Then after some more digging I found it! Not before finding a complete hydraulic clutch setup. Not going to use it on this though. Rather have the manual clutch I can feel. Pedal weight is a moot point. I'll save the hydro's for another time.

Today I fixed the bead on the tire. No more leaking...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5987.jpg

Then I cleaned up the front a bit.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5989.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5990.jpg

Shot of the truck as it is now.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5986.jpg

billygoat333
08-02-2010, 08:20 PM
gonna be a nice looking truck when its done. what color you think you gonna paint it? (or are you gonna leave it zombieland style? lol)

altec
08-03-2010, 01:04 AM
gonna be a nice looking truck when its done. what color you think you gonna paint it? (or are you gonna leave it zombieland style? lol)

Flat black. Everything black on the truck, but maybe a white 3 painted on the door. :think::D I even plan to coat the wheels, and bumpers.

msmrx57
08-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Flat black. Everything black on the truck:twisted:

Sounds like my old Suburban. What size are the tires on it? It looks taller than the one I'm working on. But that could be the short/long box thing.

altec
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
The ones currently are 35-12.5-15. Lift is roughly 6". I may be adding some more leafs once the engine, and bed are on. It is sitting about perfect now with neither, so it is a bit concerning. Not a bit deal though. I have a whole truck I can pull leafs from.

I saw your 'Burban. Made me sad. :( Haven't seen your current project though. Any pictures?

Locum51
08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Shot of the truck as it is now.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5986.jpg

Kinda reminds me of a C.O.R.R. truck. :up:

altec
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Update, nothing amazing. I pulled the steering column out of the donor yesterday. What a PITA... I also painted the grill piece, and got it back on. Today I put the column in. I don't need a ratchet to steer anymore! :lick:

Gotta do something about that shifter. :devious:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5993.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5994.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5996.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_5997.jpg

altec
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. Here is where I'm at. Here is the updates I haven't posted.

I have confirmed a pair of '06 Silverado seats for the truck. :) I'm just going to have to make a mounting setup for them. Which is a piece of cake. I also might have a large rad that I might try to adapt. Depending on if I can make them fit. Dunno yet. The rad will be down to height. If it isn't to tall, I'll use it. Otherwise I have a Big Block one that will work.

And now I also have a propane itch I need to scratch. So whatever engine that goes into this will also be getting a propane injection. Just to try pretty much. I'm really not into this stuff normally.

Well, not exactly setting any speed records but with a few free moments here, and there I getting along.

I took the dash out of my donor for the truck, and sat it in it to see how it fit. Little inspiration as well. When I was taking the cluster out I realized I did a stupid while getting the steering column out. I cut the line for my mechanical Sport-Comp water temperature gauge... So I'm going to add that to my list of gauges I need to buy. Next to a EGT, and fuel level gauge. Why a fuel level gauge? Because I'm pulling the factory speedo, and fuel gauge. To be replaced by a Pro-Comp speedo, and tach. I'm considering replacing all my gauges with Pro-Comp's. To have a matching set. Save the Sport-Comps for another day. If anyone is wondering. I'm making the tach work with a Dakota Digital tach sensor. Simply because it is a cheaper option then buying Pro-Comp Diesel Tach.

The Sport-Comp's were already added by my Dad. He did this with a 5" tach mounted to the steering column. I'm simply pulling the last of the stock gauges.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6013.jpg

My Dad's cluster.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6004.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6005.jpg

Starting to paint the inside of the cab. It is simply rattle can bed liner I found at Home Depot.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6006.jpg

Started painting the frame today. It is brushed on Hammered finish paint. Goes on thick, which is what I wanted. I know a few guys running trucks with this with no problems. Still need to paint the inside of the rails, and the underside. I need to rip some old lines out before the inside can be done. If you are wondering, the frame is going to be painted, the sheet metal undercoated. Not painting the springs, or axles until I've got them all buttoned up.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6009.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6012.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just a small update. I painted the front section of frame. Modified the dash to accept my 5" gauges. Then I went to a junkyard. Wandering around I found a GMC 'burban with a nice dash still in it. So I popped that out for mine. Cost me $12. ;D It had a cherry FM radio as well. I'm tempted to go back for it, but I'm a 100% CD person, so IDK. So I'm gonna do the mock up with my old dash, then when I am ready I'll cut the new dash, and put it in.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6014.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6016.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/100_6018.jpg

altec
12-02-2010, 02:57 PM
So... Lets see. Where to start? Well, I got the 6.5 out of the van. It is sitting in the shop now. It need some freshening up.

How it stands at the moment, I'm considering building the 350 I have and putting that in it for now. Then I can put the 6.5 up on the stand and freshen it up. And a twin-turbo setup couldn't hurt...

Here is the 6.5.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0045.jpg

What I'm considering is that since I have all the parts to build the 350, and even the flywheel to mount it to my Muncie that I might shove that in the truck for the time being. Then pop the 6.5 on the engine stand, and give it a proper freshening up.

The block is a 3970010. Common as the sky is blue. But a good block, and since it is a fresh rebuild, a good choice. It is loaded with flat top pistons, and 333882 heads. Although the heads are pointless to me because I believe the driver side one is cracked. But I have another set laying around I can use! From what I read, they are prone to cracking. I find it strange that a head on a fresh rebuild would be cracked? Better not to ask questions though.

So, anyway the idea is to put together the 350, and stuff it in the truck for the winter. I have all the parts, and goodies. Weiand intake, Holley carb, full Serpentine setup, and all the other widgets to make these crazy gassers spin.

I pulled some of the parts down, and mocked them up. In case you are wondering, yes I did play with the carb while making "vroom" noises.

Ain't that pretty?
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0061.jpg

I currently have two options for heads. A pair of 3973487 heads, and a pair of 3947041 heads. I'm leaning to the 487 heads simply because they are already setup. Reading up, they both seem to be good, thick casting heads.

The 487's.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0056.jpg

I have two intakes. One is a Strip Dom' intake. The other a Weiand 7508. Both vintage. From what I understand the Strip Dom' is like the big brother to the Vic Jr., and the 7508 is like a Strip Dom'. Not sure which I'll use. Opinions?
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0058.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0060.jpg

And, here is the best part! I almost pooped myself seeing this. I pulled the oil pan off. After having a "Duh" moment, I slowly counted the main bolts. 1...2...oh damn...3...4... YES!!!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0065.jpg

So, I'm happy. After I pull it back out I'll have a good base for building another toy!

blaze15301
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
good to see your still working on the truck.

altec
12-04-2010, 03:41 PM
It's kinda the "Fifth hour" type thing. I need to get this evil thing done.

Got the heads bolted on.

Started by digging out my Dad's books on the subject. I looked up the tightening pattern, and what to torque the bolts to.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0087.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0084.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0085.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0086.jpg

So, after that I started cleaning things up. Pretty simple. A scrapper, and a scotch bright pad did the trick.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0089.jpg

Then the heads.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0090.jpg

Stick the gaskets on.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0092.jpg

Then I dug the bolts out. Tip? Don't just throw bolts in a cardboard box. PITA... The bolts on a Small Block are simple. 8 short bolts, 2 medium, and 7 long. The short ones go on the bottom, the medium ones go on the inside outer edges. The long ones go on the inside center. Try not to mix them up...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0088.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0093.jpg

I cleaned the threads. Nothing amazing.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0091.jpg

Finally I put the heads on. Line the dowel pins up, and they should go right in place. After that I start all the bolts and run them down until they just touch. Then we get to torquing. Using a 1/2" drive torque wrench I got to work. I started at 40 ft-lbs. Then 50, then 60, then to the final setting of 65.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0095.jpg

So, that is where I'm at. I may go out later, and get the lifters, and rods in.

altec
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, I got the lifters in, and my Dad showed me how to set the rockers.

If that ain't art, I don't know what is.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0097.jpg

Dug out some parts. A fancy starter, and the accessory setup from a 4.3. The truck it was from only have about 40K on it, so I got some nice parts I think. I even have the water pump.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0100.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0099.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0098.jpg

I left the other bracket outside, so it has some oxide on it. :whine: Hopefully I can clean it up.

Went to the store and got some intake gaskets, and paint. I tell the guy I have a Chevy Pickup with a tree-fitty. What does he do? Picks a C10... I about pulled him over the counter! Ok, not really... I just wanted my gaskets. :lol:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0101.jpg

So, gotta clean the block a bit, and I can paint it.

And my Dad may have lined up a flywheel for the 6.5. So that'll save me over a $100. :)

CorsePerVita
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Interesting, this tempts me to post up my trackday car project log. Quite tempting. Not sure how much interest is in for things like that though? Anyone?

altec
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Can't hurt. :) I think there is more people into cars, then trucks around here anyway.

msmrx57
12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I'll throw up a couple pics of my pig up later if you don't mind. Kinda gave up on pretty though when the $$$ ran out. But it's functional which is what matters.

msmrx57
12-06-2010, 03:28 AM
This is what I've got. The engine/tranny/transfer case came from my old Suburban. Chassis is from a heavy half farm truck, and the cab/front clip is from my old 1ton 2wd work truck. It's not done yet. Still have to do something with the interior (wire the windows/put the dash back together/install the 4x4 lever/patch the holes in the floor). I went through the drive train while it was in the suburban. The chassis got stripped down and painted with Chassis Saver epoxy so it should last awhile. Thought the cab was in better shape than it is so this body isn't forever just need it funtional for the winter. Here's what it looks like without the plow on.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5202/done2n.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/done2n.jpg/)

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5099/done10.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/i/done10.jpg/)

Just had to use it to plow Saturday and it worked great. I still miss the old Suburban though.

altec
12-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Nice truck! What is the drive train?

What plow you run? When I'm closer to done I have a Meyer plow for my truck.

I gotta fleetside bed I'll give you a good deal on if you want to drive over to Maryland. :D

msmrx57
12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Drive train is a tbi 350/700r4 with a 208 transfer case. The plow is an old Meyer E46. As far as the bed goes I'm looking to replace the whole body. Except for the passenger inner fender the front clip is rust free but the hood is beat up. I've got a clean 81 and up front clip but no radiator support for it. What I really want to do is get a 68-72 body and though it on. Or get really demented and put a van on it.

altec
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Worked on swapping my steering arms a bit. See, I kept thinking I had to buy one. Then it hit me the other day. "I wonder if that dana 44 I have has one?" Yep... So I went to pulling that off. Was able to get one lock out the first day. Soaking it in oil, and left it. After reading some tricks on here, I went back at it today. A broken hammer, and some large hand tools later I had it off. Gotta pull the one off my 10-bolt now... Hoping that goes a little easier. HAHA!

Thread in question. I used the trick with the socket over the lock. guess it worked.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=196081

How I found it today.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0176.jpg

After using the socket, and giving it a couple whacks.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0177.jpg

Now you see it...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0178.jpg

Now you don't.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0179.jpg

YAY!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0180.jpg

Whew...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0181.jpg

Now I gotta pull the other one off.

rgathright
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Wait, we gotta see this American Frankenstein with a snow plow attached!

Also, I would rather have a Dana 44 rear axle anyday... Jeeper here. :P

altec
03-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Wait, we gotta see this American Frankenstein with a snow plow attached!

Also, I would rather have a Dana 44 rear axle anyday... Jeeper here. :P

You'll see when it is done. It without a doubt is getting a plow. The Meyer is sitting waiting for next winter.

Strength differences between the 10, and 44 are slim, and stuff like knuckles swap over. Plus, I already have the gears for a 10...

Sorry, these updates are old from another website.

Well, went out to pull the arm off the 10-bolt. Put the jack, and a stand under it. Popped the tire off, and went at it. Broke the second hammer. Now I'm gonna have to get another hammer. Might try the 10 pound sledge tomorrow if I cant get one.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0182.jpg

---------------------------------------------

Didn't update this, my bad. Got the sledge out the other day and got the arm off. Ran into a problem though. I fudged up one of the studs. Which wasn't a big deal I thought because I happen to have the odd ball die needed to chase the threads real fast. The problem is it is a round head die and I have no room to turn it... So I'm going to try and pull a stud from the 44 to swap into the 10-bolt. Wish me luck there...

Also need to order some dust boots for my tie rods. The rods are good, but the boots are shot...

No real other updates... I've simply been pondering my thoughts about how I'm going to do things.

One thing I was thinking about is my fuel tank. Or lack of one... When I got the truck the fuel tank was gone, and so were the brackets... Ok, so a new fuel tank is roughly $100, and the time it'll take me to get the old rusty ones off my donor doesn't sound all that fun. Plus, I'm not a fan of side saddle tanks in general... So first I was pondering the common Blazer tank install. The idea of hunting down the brackets, and installing them wasn't stirring my koolaid. So after that I thought "What about a cell?" So I started looking at the sizes available from RCI. They have a 16g tank which puts me at the factory SWB size. They also have a deeper 22g tank that would get me a little more distance. Dimensions are perfect between the rails, and the brackets are easy as pie to make. Plus, plumbing them with a nice hard line is as simple as it gets. We have a winner... Curious, I searched "fuel cell" on here, and found some folks who have done this very install. needless to say, I'm more then encouraged...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=4537806

-----------------------------------------

Got the steering arm on. I took a file to the threads to knock down the fudged part. Ideal? No... Work? Yep. Stuck the arm on, and cleaned the washers to stick on. Tightened them down by hitting the arm, then tightening some. repeat until tight. Now I have a factory steering arm to use as a door stop, or something...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0184.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0185.jpg

While I was at it I grabbed the link to check the size of the tie rods to order boots. Ran into a problem. The longer of the two tie rods is worn out. :dohh: So I looked up the part number. I believe it is a ES2026R. If anyone would like to confirm, or correct this I'd be appreciative.

------------------------------------------------

Got the tie rod, and a pair of red dust boots on order! The tie rod is a NOS military surplus part, and the boots are from Energy Suspension. The part number is 9.13119R. That is the biggest one they had so I'm hoping it'll work. If it does, I'm going to order two more for the rest of the tie rods.

------------------------------------------------

Ah, fudge!

Well, I knew the Dana 44 I have had a steering stabilizer on it. So I thought I'd pull it off and see if it was any good. It was not. :( It suffered from the ever common shock boot death. Very sad... On the bright side I have some pictures to show when I tell people not to use shock boots.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0187.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0189.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0190.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0191.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0192.jpg

So sad...

Munty
03-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Dude I'd love to get my hands on that engine. I'm playing with a VG30DETT from an old nissan fairlady I broke up for parts but I prefer nice big mechanical lumps from trucks and 4x4s to the complicated sports car ones all covered in wires and sensors :p

Shame you're in the wrong country or I'd already be on my way over to lend a hand haha

altec
03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Dude I'd love to get my hands on that engine. I'm playing with a VG30DETT from an old nissan fairlady I broke up for parts but I prefer nice big mechanical lumps from trucks and 4x4s to the complicated sports car ones all covered in wires and sensors :p

Shame you're in the wrong country or I'd already be on my way over to lend a hand haha

I know plenty of Maxima guys that'd kill for that TT you have! The VG engines are little tanks.

Haha, thanks for the offer! If you ever cross the pond you'll have to stop by to take a look at the old girl. Hopefully by then it will be running...

Cleaned up, and installed the intake. Although I think I'm going to pull it back off tomorrow. Couple things I want to change, but ran out of time. So tomorrow I'm gonna do that, then clean the Holley up, and maybe try and line up the dizzy.

The Intake/Carb. It's a Weiand #7508 single plane, and a Holley Double Pumper.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0193.jpg

Carb unbolted.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0194.jpg

After a bath in the wash up tank.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0195.jpg

Vroom! Vroom!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0196.jpg

Munty
03-17-2011, 04:07 AM
I know plenty of Maxima guys that'd kill for that TT you have! The VG engines are little tanks.

Bah you're a lucky boy, you have all the stuff I want! I'm itching for a component bath to clean off all my oily bits before I start rebuilding my engine as it was suspected of overheating.

I had (have actually but need to sell) a '93 fairlady with a non-turbo in it and I love it but no cash for the girl right now :( The idea was to rebuild this TT and really run with some nice components on it (overclock it if you will lol)

If you know anyone who wants a custom made engine though let me know as it's down to the key components right now and I'd love to get it rebuild and shipped out to someone who can use it. Likely to be years before I can realise that dream now and in the meantime I'm gagging for cash!!!

I'm jealous of your tools, your truck and your nice clean engine now. Smelly America with all your extra space everywhere lol I don't even have off-road parking :D

BS Mods
03-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Looks like your staying busy with this project. It's a LOT of work going through a whole truck! Good job.

I will give you a small piece of info that may help you -
If you want some low end torque you may want to switch the manifold for a dual plane. The manifold you have is a great one but it's made to work at a higher RPM. It may not have much power if you plan on punching it form a dead stop.:whistler:

altec
03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Bah you're a lucky boy, you have all the stuff I want! I'm itching for a component bath to clean off all my oily bits before I start rebuilding my engine as it was suspected of overheating.

I had (have actually but need to sell) a '93 fairlady with a non-turbo in it and I love it but no cash for the girl right now :( The idea was to rebuild this TT and really run with some nice components on it (overclock it if you will lol)

If you know anyone who wants a custom made engine though let me know as it's down to the key components right now and I'd love to get it rebuild and shipped out to someone who can use it. Likely to be years before I can realise that dream now and in the meantime I'm gagging for cash!!!

I'm jealous of your tools, your truck and your nice clean engine now. Smelly America with all your extra space everywhere lol I don't even have off-road parking :D

The wash up tank is handy, but I'm no stranger to being hunched over on a stool with a bucket of diesel fuel and a wire brush. Whatever it takes!

Not sure how hard they are to find, but have you considered trying to find something like a Nissan Pathfinder? That TT will fit nicey in it and be a mean all around vehicle. Obviously when the money is there. I know exactly how you feel..

Eh, can't say I know anyone who would want to pay that shipping bill to the states.:think:

Smelly? Where do you think I live? New Jersey?! :whistler: Lol, "off-road parking." That's my drive way. :D

Looks like your staying busy with this project. It's a LOT of work going through a whole truck! Good job.

I will give you a small piece of info that may help you -
If you want some low end torque you may want to switch the manifold for a dual plane. The manifold you have is a great one but it's made to work at a higher RPM. It may not have much power if you plan on punching it form a dead stop.:whistler:

Takes time, no doubt. What really set me back the most is waiting on the diesel. If I would have just buttoned up the gasser back when I was first diesel hunting I'd be further ahead. but, no ones fault but my own. Thanks for the kudos!

Thanks for the heads up, I already knew about the single plane, but it is still good information to post. I went with the single plane simply because I had it. All my saved intakes are from stockers, or drag engines. I have a Holley Strip Dom, Torker, and the Weiand 7508. I went with the Weiand simply because it was the best of the bunch. If I end up keeping the engine in the truck for a extended period of time I'll most likely pull it for either a Air Gap, or something like a Weiand Stealth. Do a cam swap while I'm at it. The cam that is in it now is a factory .390/.410. Haha.

Update-

MAIL!!!!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0197.jpg

New tie rod.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0199.jpg

Dust boots.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0198.jpg

I pulled the intake back off. For the sake of maybe helping someone else not pull a stupid like I did I'll tell why I pulled it back off. I didn't put RTV around the water jackets...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0201.jpg

Back on... Also got the main pulley cleaned up, and installed.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0203.jpg

Later I have a couple thermostats I dug out the spares pile to test. I have a 160, and a 180. Hoping the 160 is good. If so, that is going on.

Also, I have a radio I need to test. I have a factory CD player from a new Silverado I've been saving. I'm gonna test it and see if it'll work without the computer BS. If it will, then I might mount the giant thing in my truck. Freaking thing is like 2.5 din...

altec
03-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, I didn't get everything I wanted done today, oh well.

Tested the thermostat. Checked out good. Messy stove not required, just recommended.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0204.jpg

The parts.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0205.jpg

Installed. Well... Damn.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0206.jpg

Fuel pump installed.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0207.jpg

Chasing the threads for the accessories.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0209.jpg

Drive side bracket installed, passenger mocked up.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0211.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Need a different housing...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0210.jpg

Got the pedal-tunnel-thing in the truck and drilled the two holes I needed in it. Now I need to grind off the old studs that are spot welded in.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0214.jpg

altec
03-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Been cleaning today, but have gotten a couple minutes to swap out the tie rod.

First I measured a common point on the tie rod (Center of the grease zirk) to the edge of the turn-buckle. Which believe it or not was exactly 6.5".

So after I knew that I put the old tie rod in the vice and loosened the clamps. Then took a flat blade driver to break the tube free. Using a chain wrench I spun the clamp off. Even the weight of a freaking firetruck brake drum I was moving the vice all over the place... Looked like I was dancing with it.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0217.jpg

Got it though. Then the new one went on, set, and locked down.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0218.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0219.jpg

Through some flat black on it. Gonna get Hammered paint when on the truck. Just didn't want to worry about rust...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0220.jpg

PRETTY!!!!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0221.jpg

altec
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Been cleaning all day, haven't had time for the truck. I looked out the window at the sun setting, and said screw it. Walked outside and put the link on! Got the steering arm coated in a bit of black, and stuck it on. The new rod tightened fine, but the back one just spun. So I just have to take a board a put pressure on the link and tighten it. That will have to happen later though.

The boots fit good. After getting crushed down they take a shape more like the factory and fit good. Hoping they hold up. I'll have to do a review later.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0224.jpg

Also I priced the parts to do the rear brakes. $10 a piece for cylinders, and $20 for shoes.

chaksq
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Truck is coming along nicely man.

altec
03-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks! :smoker:

No updates... Been cold, wet, and I've been busy... Couple cool things I thought I'd share.

Hanging out on my favorite Chebby site some guys found a nice replacement for the stock junk dash speakers that are tiny little turds... Made by Infinity they are 3.5" speakers. Talking to some people who have used them they say they are great for what they are. I asked if they get muddy if they get EQ'd, and the answer was a pleasing "nope." So it seems I'm gonna run Infinity in the front, and Polk in the rear!
http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=REF3032CF&cat=REF&ser=REF&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Found the shocks I'm gonna use. Found out that stock Ford F350 shocks are perfect for a 4" lift K10. Go figure... I can get them for $22 a piece!

Thinking about my headlights. Considering some of them fancy black looking projector housings, with H4 4000K bulbs (White), and running a pair of relays to power them. Not interested in adding the HID junk. Anything is better then factory... The relays are because even with factory bulbs you lose power through the switch, and wiring from the factory. So I'm going to just use the switch to power relays up front. Save some hassle.

Also considering a cam swap. got my eye on a Lunati Voodoo 268. Never used Luntai, but the last few years it is all I hear about. And looking at the grind I think I can see why. My Dad is trying to get me to go with a Comp Cams Magnum 305. The same cam he used in his K10 350. It was a mean cam, but not sure if its what I want.
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2325&gid=297

Hoping early next week to get all the loose ends wrapped up I've been wanting to do. Going to be in the upper 50's all next week.

altec
04-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Few updates.

Text update.

Been busy working, but fiddled with the truck a bit. Was able to get the steering arm side tightened down. Ended up replacing the nut. So now I have steering!

Back to the engine next! Using a pair of factory valve covers. Found a PCV in the spares. Need to dig up a fill cap, and drill the other valve cover out for the breather I have.

Still need to drill the head to mount the alternator bracket...And clean the alternator bracket... I have no idea where the mounting bolts went to for it, so I'm going to have to get a couple.

Then I need to unbolt the engine from the stand. Got to get a pilot bushing, and pop that in. Also need to get some flywheel bolts. All the ones I have are shorter flex plate bolts... Past that the flywheel needs to be hit with a scotchbrite wheel, and then it is ready to go together. I dug out the pressure plates, and discs I have. I have a brand new 11" pressure plate and disc, and a 12" pressure plate/disc that is probably about 75% left. Think I'm going to use the 12", but it is good to know I have a good back up as well. Then I gotta bell housing that needs degreased...

Got a lead on a 16g factory tank for zero dollars. So if that is the case, the cell might be ditched.

Got a yota that needs a o2 sensor and tires this week, after that my truck should be going in the shop for a engine install. :) After this the front clip is going on.

Hello all! Isn't it a beautiful day in the neighborhood? Over 80* today! Got quite a few things done! In between working on my junk, I was out with the battery charger jump starting some junk to move around. Was quite fun.

My main reason was I wanted to wrap up some loose ends on my engine. That means tapping some holes, replacing a water neck, and getting a pilot bushing. I also wanted to clean my bell housing.

Now first I started with drilling, and tapping the head. Found the tap, and the drill.First I realized my drill bit is to short to fit through the bracket. Crap... WAIT!!! I have a bracket from a '91 'burban that might work. So I dug that out and it was perfect! So I bolted that on and used it to mark the spot with the drill.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0232.jpg

Marked.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0233.jpg

I measured the depth of the hole on the other side, and used tape to mark the drill.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0234.jpg

Done! Well, sorta. What you don't see is that I drilled into the water jacket... Guess the casting right there is thinner... After drilling the hole I used a larger bit to make the tap start easier. Then just tapped it using a 3/8"-16 tap.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0236.jpg

Since I'm using a late model water pump, I had to drill and tap one of the ports. Sadly, a 1/8NPT tap was just slightly too small. So I had to drill it out, and use a 1/4NPT tap. No biggy.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0237.jpg

Started cleaning the bell housing. Found blue paint under the grease. fudge. So instead of cleaning it up to something I'd eat cereal out of, I'm going going to clean it to DD status.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0238.jpg

DIE!!!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0239.jpg

And my very cool Dad picked me up flywheel bolts, and a pilot bushing on his way home from work today.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0240.jpg

Edit,

Forgot something. I crawled under the truck while having my Fiancee watching the tire while I spun the pinion. Stuff not 100% sure, but I'm thinkin' the front might already have 3.42 gears. If that is the case, then that means I don't have to change the front gears!

Forgot to take a picture of the "Clean" bell housing. I use that word extremely loosely... But it is good enough that if I spring a leak I can tell.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0242.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0241.jpg

Pulled the front cover. Turned out they were 3.08's. Bummer. :(
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0243.jpg

Also, got a set of front bushings off ebay. Saved about $12. Was still more then I was hoping to pay. But you always have one A-hole jacking the price up...

altec
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Flywheel, and pressure plate cleaned up. Just knocked the junk off the flywheel face, and degunked the pressure plate. Then sat the pressure plate on top of the flywheel to cover the clutch contact areas, and coated them both with a rust treatment at the same time. Dug up some bolts, and washers for them as well. Only half dry in the picture if you are wondering...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0248.jpg

I was also looking at the transmission figuring out how I am going to get it out from under the bench, and I saw a little pitcher. Grabbed it, and it had the tranny-bell housing bolts, flywheel-crank bolts, dust shield bolts, and flywheel pressure plate bolts. The key words here are flywheel-crank bolts... Guess I'll save the new ones...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0247.jpg
One dust cover bolt is missing...

Part numbers for future reference...

"GM P/N'S 12453934, 14047045, 15521863, 15616191, 384024 & 3906680............AFTERMARKET P/N'S 04-518, 04-064 & 04-064A"

altec
04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I got the 350 off the stand, and the 6.5 on today. Plus knocked in the pilot bushing, and was going to assemble the entire clutch assembly and bell housing but I couldn't find any loctite, so I just gave up...

Rolled out so I could clean my work area.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0251.jpg

On the floor.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0252.jpg

No longer on the floor...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0253.jpg

Bushing in.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0254.jpg

Bell housing mocked into place because I felt like it...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0255.jpg

At my Dad's work they were junking this. Some little CNC wood lathe.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/reference/IMAG0249.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/reference/IMAG0250.jpg

msmrx57
04-06-2011, 11:44 PM
That looks a lot like what's on my stand (6.2 the price was right). Got the 350 for my Impala at my buddy's shop for a quick once over.

Nice score from the junk bin. :up:

altec
04-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah, the 6.5 is under the load of crap somewhere... Hoping to start tearing it down very soon. Gonna do everything I can to keep the block intact, and keep it from divorcing the head gaskets... Planning main studs, and a girdle for the bottom. Then cement the water jackets as high as I feel comfortable. Top it with head studs, and Felpro's. After that I plan to take some 1/4" steel plate, and make header flanges, and start making custom headers to mount a pair of twin turbos...

I have every intention to build a 6.5 that will beat the junk tuner yuppies that seem to be popular in my area...

altec
04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Hoping to do two updates today.

Got the transmission drug out, and half cleaned up yesterday. Forgot to take a before picture. Ton of grease, none of it is from the transmission...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0267.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0266.jpg

My Dad picked me up some shorty chrome valve covers yesterday!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0271.jpg

And today my leaf spring bushings showed up! Won them on Ebay. The entire front set is there, and I think the others are the rears minus the shackles?
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0269.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0270.jpg

altec
04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, I figured the transmission would work better bolted to the engine, so I did that. :uhmk: Hoping to drop the whole assembly in this weekend.

Together, and the engine mounts on. Also dug out the tranny crossmember, and the bushings for it.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0274.jpg

gonna wait to put the new fancy valve covers on after the engine is in the truck. Don't want to scratch them up!

altec
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Update for today!

Truck in the shop...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0277.jpg

Pulled the cover off the top of the master to drain the fluid that was stuck in it. I don't think it should look like that...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0278.jpg

I took the motor mounts back off and painted them. Wasn't happy with the material chipped paint look...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0276.jpg

After much hard ache the engine is in with the help of my Dad, and a friend of his, Shawn. The clam shell mounts put up a hell of a fight... I WILL be getting rid of those come time for the diesel...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0279.jpg

Stuck the tranny mount in. Need to get a bushing.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0280.jpg

Not pictured is I cleaned the threads for the bell crank ball-pivot-thing on the bell housing. Then installed the transfer case.

Dug through my Dad's drive shaft collection for the front, and rear. After getting burned on a front shaft for his K10 my Dad started to collect them... I lucked out and found a rear that would work with no mods!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0281.jpg

Before de-rusting...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0282.jpg

After de-rusting, and cleaning the surface I just just some gloss black on it.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0284.jpg

The front is going to need a proper degreasing... All the oil, and grease on the front shaft I understand is from the vehicles built in anti-rust system... :lol:

Also looked at the bushings. I do believe they are the right ones. Wasn't sure if my lift springs were close enough to a Rancho to work...

altec
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Went back out for some messing around.

Here is the hole for the shifter. Was done quick with a cut off wheel...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0285.jpg

The boot I plan to use. Just because it is cool... I have a factory one as well, but the Hurst one just adds more horsepower! Haha. Wouldn't mind getting this shift knob to go with it, but the only problem is I'm trying to get my Fiancee in a position where she can not complain about driving a manual, and not having the marks on the knob could be a excuse...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTOM-HURST-CHEVY-OLDS-442-CAMARO-CHEVELLE-SHIFT-KNOB-/260766058407?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb6de47a7
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0286.jpg

Put mah new valve covers on. Not bad!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0288.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0289.jpg

altec
04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Todays update!

Did some work on the clutch.

Got the bell crank on. My engine, and transmission is cocked a bit so the ball isn't fully seated... Trying to take good pictures, since find mechanical clutch pedal conversion pictures on the internet is HELL.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0293.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0294.jpg

I modded a transfer case shift linkage to act as the bell crank to clutch fork linkage.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0292.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0296.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0297.jpg

Next step involved a little machine work. I turned a new set of pedal bushings on the lathe. Measuring the bore of the pedal, and measuring the OD of the rod I'm using. The pedal is roughly 11/16". i made it roughly .690" for a press fit. The hole for the rod is 29/64" I do believe.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0300.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0302.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0303.jpg

Next step is the rod. I made it long enough to add some spacers, and maybe a brace. It is a simple 7/16" steel rod. I drilled a hole in each end, and has a pin going through it.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0306.jpg

Girly painted the pedals for me! Thanks babe!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0304.jpg

Mocked in the truck.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0307.jpg

Next I painted the alternator bracket.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0295.jpg

To get the power steering pump off you HAVE to remove the pulley. Which you need a special puller to do...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0310.jpg

Off.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0308.jpg

Painted, and on.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0313.jpg

Plenty of clearance! Haha!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0309.jpg

AmEv
04-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Classic vehicle restore. I like.

Question:
If it was an '86 IBM, what would you be doing with it?

altec
04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd take this over 90% of new vehicles... After my 6.5 is in I'll be looking at roughly 25MPG's...

Lol, like a old convertible? Probably end up with a broken one, so I'll find a bunch of parts from different year computers and try to build one working one. Then paint it black and add some fancy lights. :D

Slow day...

Changed the water neck.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0315.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0316.jpg

Then I worked on the clutch some. Cut the hole for the linkage. The hole in the first picture was to smal FYI. I used a cut off wheel. Tried a hole saw and just made a fool out of myself...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0317.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0318.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0319.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0320.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0321.jpg

altec
04-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Not much done today. Mainly because crappy weather.

Got the old front leaf bushings out. I used the technique of drilling a ton of holes, and ripping the outer pieces off. Then taking pliers on the inner tube and wrenched it out. The other half just fell off... Before I can install the new ones I need to get some sort of sanding bit for either my dremel, or die grinder to clean the inside of the holes of rust. To much crap doesn't allow the bushings to fit right...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0326.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0327.jpg

Then picked up some gaskets, and bolts for the headers, along with ordering a tranny mount.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0329.jpg

billygoat333
04-15-2011, 12:28 AM
that bushing looks disgusting. :D This project is coming along nicely!

altec
04-15-2011, 01:35 AM
This better? It's getting there...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0332.jpg

Got the AIR tubes cut off one of the headers. Need to grind them down now. Also cut the other one lol.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0334.jpg

The tranny mount was in today.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0335.jpg

I went out and dug the bolts out for the front drive shaft, and cleaned it. One of the holes on the axle yoke was fudged up, so I had to chase it...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0336.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the cursed brake booster hooked up... I swear I will never modify another pedal tunnel, or adapt a brake booster ever again. It just isn't worth the hassle... It would have been worth the money to buy a factory pedal assembly, and to dig up a hydro booster...

Also hoping to get the other header cut, and grind them both down. Think I might try and see if the headers will fit in the blasting cabinet. :lol: Also need to price some V band clamps. One of the flanges is bent, and it couldn't hurt to upgrade for the right price...

altec
04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Hello all! Fiddled around. I spent most of the day battling with the pedals...

Messing with the pedal I figured out a couple things. Before I get into that a little back story. hydro booster linkage for whatever reason will not line up with the pedal... So first I tried shimming the booster to angle it. No go... So next I decide to pull the pedal out to get a better look. I notice there is in fact two holes in the pedal. One roughly a inch above the hole that has the mount for the factory linkage. Out of curiosity I put the pedal back in and stuck a bolt through the hole into the linkage. Before I get ahead of myself moving the linkage mounting point up makes the pedal travel further... Bad in most cases. So then I pressed the pedal as far as it would go and measured a common point on the fire wall to the pedal. After this I went out to my donor truck and also pressed the pedal all of the way and measured. Wouldn't you know that the pedal travel was roughly 1/2" FURTHER on the donor which has a factory vacuum booster. So I can only guess the factory hydro booster has a different travel then the vacuum booster? I really have no idea. If anyone has any insight I wouldn't mind! The booster is from a 1995 Vandura. Stupid me didn't grab the pedal from the van so I can't measure the throw on that.

Nothing really picture worthy there...

Found a couple heims I think I am going to use to make a new clutch pedal to bell crank rod.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0338.jpg

Pulled the old center console piece out of the donor. It won't clear the manual though so I'm probably going to cut it.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0340.jpg

I randomly stuck a set of new style center caps on my Outlaw wheels. Doesn't look to shabby! Thinking I might pick up a set of lug nuts to try them. I figured out you can get them in standard sizes. They are known as "Dual Thread" lug nuts.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0342.jpg

altec
04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Rear drive shaft in. Don't worry, the yoke is long as hell... Plenty still inside the case.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0344.jpg

The right U-Joint was a 3130. It has a large cap 1330 on one side, and a 1310 on the other.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0345.jpg

Also got the bolts for the leaf springs. Grade-8 9/16" bolts.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0347.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0346.jpg

Not pictured is one header ground down, and the clutch bell crank bracket holes slotted.

Rainy day...

Beta-brain
04-19-2011, 08:19 AM
As a qualified mechanic myself although I no longer work in the trade I know all too well how much work is involved in such a project and how the phrase "I'll just do this bit a minute" can turn into a nightmare :D

Being in the UK I've never worked on any American metal but that Chevy looks like my kind of vehicle, simple and build like a tank not some computerised black box on wheels that shuts down and screams for a dealer when you just try and change the oil.

I left the motor trade when diagnosing problems had changed from using your mechanical experience to connecting a laptop and running a program, where's the skill in that?
Great looking build and a Chevy pick-up sure beats the hell out of a British Landrover pick-up, I've never understood the interest in Landrovers :?

Flat black paint is the way to go easy to look after and repair but I am biased, actually mine is satin black 8)

http://www.fazerfetish.eclipse.co.uk/10-FZX-R.jpg

altec
04-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks Beta! Nice bike! I've always been a fan of the street fighter style bikes!

You are correct on the flat black! I plan to do the satin black paint, with spray on black bed liner for the bumpers, and wheels. Top that with black projector head lights, and I'm gonna sand blast the tail lights, and turn signals to give them a satin finish. I don't want to go ricer black tint paint, but still dull them out. The only thing I'm not doing is window tinting. Mainly to keep the fuzz off my tail...

Put the front-rear bushings in. I decided to leave the shackle bushing factory. Mainly because they looked new.

I used the same prep method as the front. die grinder with a bur bit to clean the hole, and a wire brush to prep the leaf. The shackles I used a wire wheel to clean, then sprayed them black. Wanted to paint them red, but didn't have any red paint... :(

The bushings are lubed with a combination of ZEP 2000, and a silver anti seize lube.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0362.jpg

Nasty...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0361.jpg

Better.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0364.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0366.jpg

While I'm at it, here is something I fiddled with on a whim. Anyone who has looked inside a '73-'87 Chevrolet knows they have a HUGE fuel gauge from the factory. And anyone who has done some digging knows that there was a option to have a tachometer in place of the fuel gauge, and relocate the fuel gauge. After you learned this, you quickly realize they are hard to find, and VERY expensive when you do... So I decided to mess with a home brew version of this...

Thought I'd try and take a oil pressure gauge, and turn it into a fuel gauge...

Parts Needed

1x Fuel Gauge
1x Oil Pressure Gauge (Or gauge of your choice...)
2x 1/8" Rivets

Tools Needed
1x Can of Brake Cleaner
1x Cotton Rag
1x Rivet Gun
1x 1/16" Drill Bit
1x 1/8" Drill Bit
1x 3/8" Drill Bit
1x Drill...
2x Jewelers Screw Driver

First thing I did was take a square and made sure the marks on both gauges matched. As far as I can tell, they do. Next I set the needle of the fuel gauge at 1/2 tank and used the two screw drivers to gently pull the needle off. Making sure not to move the needle from the 1/2 position. After this I repeated this process on the oil pressure gauge.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0354.jpg

Next I took the fuel gauge and laid it face down on a cloth. Using the 1/16" drill bit I drill out the old rivets. Then using the 1/8" drill bit I enlarged the holes on the mechanism it self. Followed by the 3/8" drill bit to "bump" the holes to knock off the burs.

Fuel Gauge mechanism (left) next to the oil pressure gauge (right).
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0355.jpg

Repeated the last step on the oil pressure gauge, but instead of enlarging the holes on the mechanism, I enlarged the holes on the gauge face.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0356.jpg

Taking the fuel gauge mechanism, and the oil pressure gauge face I stuck the rivets through and tightened both the rivets to make sure it is lined up right. The "popped" the rivets.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0357.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0358.jpg

Now because oil pressure reading aren't going to look right I took some brake cleaner, and a rag to rub the numbers off. At this point you could use water slide decals, or whatever you prefer to add proper fuel level marks.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0359.jpg

And finally add the needle from the oil pressure gauge. Making sure to set it at 1/2 liked you pulled the old needle off.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0360.jpg

That is the easy part, now I gotta figure out what to do for a tach...

altec
05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Fuel tank is out...

I got the front bolts out the other day, and the backs out today. Even with potato chip sized chunks of rust coming off the frame the bolts came out easy. Used a 1/2" drive impact with a deep 5/8" socket. I needed to get the old true dual setup out before I could get to the back bolts. Using a sawzall I cut the back hanger, and the front let go at the flange before I could get to it. Rust... I also cut the E-brake cable out for a little more room.

After the bolts are out it was a simple matter of cutting the old hoses.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0404.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0405.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0406.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0407.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0408.jpg

Old mud dauber nests. Found one in the muffler too...

altec
05-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Got the straps off.

Now, I'm not a betting man, but after looking at the straps I knew the nuts wouldn't come off. But I had to spray on some oil, and try... First one broke the strap itself, and the second twisted the stud clean off...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0409.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0410.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0411.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0412.jpg

After cleaning... Funny how exactly like you think the front one is rusted more... The nuts are pretty much rotted away, and the one side is rotted away. I'm considering welding on new nuts, and doing something to brace up the one rotted side...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0416.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0410.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0411.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0412.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0416.jpg

Need to fix those rust issues, and order some new straps.

altec
08-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Here is some progress. I cleaned the bracket, and cut it with a cut off wheel. No special measuring, just eye balked it...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/11/IMAG0723.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/11/IMAG0724.jpg

And I made the pedal-to-bell crank rod I wanted to. Instead of making a bunch of fancy measurements, I used a piece of brazing rod, and cut it so the rod ends would be in right position at roughly half thread. That way I had some adjustment.

I got the measurement (16"), and cut it using the cut off wheel. Then cleaned, and beveled the ends with a bench grinder. Then using a fine thread 1/2 die, I threaded the rod for enough threads to fully sink the rod end, and still have the jam nut. Which ended up to be about 1.7".

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/11/IMAG0725.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/11/IMAG0726.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/11/IMAG0727.jpg

Enjoy.

altec
08-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I bent the bracket up. What I did was take the protractor from my square set, and leveled the vice so at 0* the bubble was level. Then I bent the bracket up until the bracket up until it read 8* with the bubble level. Simple.

I picked 8* to help the actuating rod angle. Wasn't happy with the angle on the factory setup...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/11/IMAG0740.jpg

I also took some paper, and made templates for the three filler pieces.

The bracket is welded!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Tools/IMAG0763.jpg

The booster is in, and the pedal works great!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0773.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0774.jpg

Next is cleaning the bowls out, and hooking the lines up. Then getting the clutch working. THEN I am hooking a battery up, and getting this sucker running! Tired of waiting...

CorsePerVita
08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Those are some smooth welds man! Nice work!

Twigsoffury
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM

I was about to say the same thing!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0773.jpg

What the hell is that on top of the carb? is that a red-neck forced air induction cowl made out of two pieces of stamped steel?

Thats hilarious and genius at the same time.

Snowman
08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
What the hell is that on top of the carb? is that a red-neck forced air induction cowl made out of two pieces of stamped steel?

Guy at the drag strip used an old paper boy delivery box

altec
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM

You are the third (And forth) people to make that comment! Like I told the others, I'll give my Dad your regards! :D He volunteered himself to weld it. At least I knew he'd do a good job. You should see him Arc weld!

That is a vintage B&M air cleaner I had sitting in the shop. Cast aluminum, with a round element inside. Been using it to keep critters, and dirt out of the engine. It is like the alternative to a Hillborn in the old days...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-Gasket-Hilborn-Style-Scoops/744181/10002/-1

That is/was fairly common around here. Even tin mail boxes...

Back when my Dad had his '84 Monte Carlo, we joked about running one. Instead we took some 3/16" aluminum plate, and made something with a similar shape. Fed a 1050 just fine...Looked better too. :bunny:

Snowman
08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
That is/was fairly common around here. Even tin mail boxes...

Back when my Dad had his '84 Monte Carlo, we joked about running one. Instead we took some 3/16" aluminum plate, and made something with a similar shape. Fed a 1050 just fine...Looked better too. :bunny:

If it aint broke don't fix it, there are a lot of old gassers that just fiber glassed around them and left it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/2598636346_97d73d310a.jpg

but at that point it would almost seem better to do velocity stacks depending on the motor

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/velocity_of_sound/images/cobravs1.jpg

Twigsoffury
08-19-2011, 12:12 AM

I'd pay money to see hilarity like that.

CorsePerVita
08-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Ah, well either way he does excellent welds!

"Teach me your ways oh jedi master!"

Twigsoffury
08-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Ah, well either way he does excellent welds!

"Teach me your ways oh jedi master!"

Oklahoma state and some corporation gave our Metro Technical centers a grant to train welders!

so right now there are completely free welding programs for MIG TIG and stick. and i've been thinking hard of taking all three courses.

i mean its free, why not?

billygoat333
08-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Yeah... why not? I'd kill to have free welding classes. /high school... when I should have taken welding classes for free... :P

Twigsoffury
08-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah... why not? I'd kill to have free welding classes. /high school... when I should have taken welding classes for free... :P
Well i've had ghetto training before, so I already know the differences between GMAW metal welding (fancy) and SMAW welding (ghetto)

You need tanks and fancy equipment for GMAW (mig and tig) and SMAW you can do with a couple car batteries in a series, some terminal cables and those special flux/metal sticks.

smaw (stick welding)...it's almost like soldering, except your not creating a current a across the two materials, your adding a secondary source for the weld's heat so theres no real penetration into what your joining together so its weak.

or something like that, the little i've welded i've done a good job. I wouldn't trust my welding to hold together your control arm or something like that, but i'm sure i could out do 3/4 of that class in welding already. and i'd probably be a bad a@# after taking those classes and getting more experiance hours under my belt.

Twigsoffury
08-22-2011, 06:32 AM
speakin o ghetto rigging intake cowls.

JqScYaDhVrw

altec
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, if you are going to have a fancy scoop to get air in, you gotta have some fancy pipes to get it out...

Got my headers patched, and half painted.

Here is what I started with. They are Flowtech headers. Not great, but they were free... They are also car headers. Got to make my clutch bell crank work around them...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0820.jpg

Booger welds!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0824.jpg

That is better... After using the cut off wheel, and cleaning up with the grinder...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0822.jpg

Using a piece of scrap 3" exhaust tubing, I cut patches. I cut three. Two for the headers, and one test piece because I haven't welded in a while...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0828.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0830.jpg

Here is my test piece. The left side is where I started, and I went around in a clockwise pattern.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0832.jpg

I welded the headers, but didn't realize that metal was as light as it was when I started. So my first weld blew right through it. lolx You can see I stitched it pretty good. Looks like ass. Thank the Lord it is under the truck...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0835.jpg

And the other one. Turned out a little better.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0834.jpg

And how I left them tonight. Cleaned, and the backsides painted.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0836.jpg

altec
09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I give you, the Storm Trooper headers! Is that still relevant? Eh, whatever... I liked the contrast of white/rust the headers had before, so I took some black to add a little flash to the paintjob. Thought it came out pretty good!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0841.jpg

Twigsoffury
09-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I give you, the Storm Trooper headers! Is that still relevant? Eh, whatever... I liked the contrast of white/rust the headers had before, so I took some black to add a little flash to the paintjob. Thought it came out pretty good!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0841.jpg

Yea looks awesome!

awesome welds!

altec
09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks. I had a heck of a time with the header tubing. Welds like ass. With that in mind, I'm happy with the welds. :)

Got the headers installed today. Allen bolts was all I could get for them, but I will probably never use them again. It is worth the wait to get good reduced head 6-points...

Also, wash your hands before installing white headers... I got most of the grease off with baby wipes...

Before I could install the headers, I had to clean, and fill a pin hole in the factory welds. I also installed the starter, but didn't have the short bolts needed for the newer mini starter. I put spacers on the bolts, but will need to get proper length ones to swap in. I'm running a newer mini starter. I love mini starters! :D With the help of Pappy, I brought #1 up to TDC. Can put the plugs in now.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0842.jpg

List of stuff I need to do at the moment...

1. Grind down a Allen wrench to tighten one PITA header bolt.
2. Install plugs.
3. Clamp Dizzy.
4. Install wires.
5. Install Fuel Pump.
6. Get Carb Inlet Washers/install Fuel Log.
7. Make Gaskets/Install Water Pump.
8. Find Accessory Bracket Bolt.
9. Ghetto rig wires/lines/cables.
10. Hook up Oil Pressure Gauge.
11. Put oil in it (Haha.)

That is a long list of little stuff... Just to get it to the point that I can drive around the drive way... :whistler:

altec
09-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Got a few things checked off the list before it started to rain.

Got oil in it. Valve covers are leaking a little... Gotta fix that...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0843.jpg

Got the dizzy clamped down, and plugs installed.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0847.jpg

Fuel pump installed, and front plug installed.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0846.jpg

I have some plug wires up on a shelf for it

just a couple hours messing around...

altec
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
This evenings update.

I started with that pesky header bolt. I ended up grinding the 5/16" ball allen from my go-to set. Been wanting to pickup a Bondhus gold set anyway... Wrench is for leverage.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0851.jpg

I then dug out my plug wire collection, and tested them with the ohm meter. Put together a good set, and hooked it up.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0852.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0853.jpg

Dug out the fuel log I've been saving. Little on the overkill side... Gotta shorten it a little. It was used on a 1050 Dom in a past life... Don't mind the brass fitting... I have some more stainless line to make the line going to the fuel pump.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0854.jpg

And here is what I'm most proud of today! How to make your own gaskets!

Supplies:
1. Gasket Paper.
2. Small Ball Peen Hammer
3. Scissors
4. What you are making a gasket for.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0855.jpg

Start by cutting a piece slightly larger then the final product. 1/4" on each side is good.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0856.jpg

While holding the gasket paper down with your fingers, drag the ball side of the hammer over the paper where the bolt hole should be. It'll indent the paper slightly, and let you see where to start. Once you have it marked, hold the hammer at a roughly 45* angle to the edge of the hole. You can now lightly tap the edges of the holes, and it'll Break right through. The trick is to use less force then you think you need, and making sure the paper doesn't move.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0857.jpg

For the next hole, stick a bolt through the first to help hold it.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0858.jpg

Same concept for the center. Tap around it at a roughly 45* angle.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0861.jpg

Now, for the outer edges you can do it two ways. Tap around it for the cleaner look, or just use scissors like I do...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0861.jpg

Enjoy!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0862.jpg

altec
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Switching gears. Here is a couple minutes worth of work...

Took some flat bar, and made a new arm-thing-dodad-widget for the bell crank. I was going to cut the old one off, and move it, but I wasn't happy with trying to cut it off...

Started by cutting a piece of flat bar to a nice eye ball length. Then I laid it flat, and held the bell crank up to where the final location would be, and marked the radius. I did it this way because the piece doesn't fit centered, and I hate hole saws...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0865.jpg

First, I made a "L" shaped cut with the cut off wheel to get rid of most of the metal. Then I used the cut off wheel as a grinder to shape. Didn't have to be perfect is why I chose to do it like this.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0866.jpg

Fit? Pretty damn good!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0867.jpg

Final product!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0868.jpg

I held it in place on the truck, and it appears that it will clear the header, but I'm considering heating, and bending it for a offset. Just to get a little extra insurance. So if the truck flexes, it won't bottom out on the header, and jam...

I also made a little boo-boo. Without thinking, I drilled it for 1/2"... Which is bigger then the little rod for the clutch fork... I guess it isn't really a problem. I'm going to make a brass, or Delrin bushing to take up the area. This will keep the hole from hobbing out over time, and I already have a 1/2" hole if I upgrade it to a heim joint setup like the rest of the system...

Last night I installed the water pump. Can't really show it, so here is a thumbs up. Who's awesome? You're awesome! lolx
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0863.jpg

altec
09-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Clutch bell crank is almost done. I tacked it in place straight up, and down. After test fitting it, what I feared was correct. Not enough room. About a 1/4" of clearance...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0872.jpg

So, I went to plan B. Welding it at a angle, and bend it over. I was going to bend it with the torch, but I was having trouble with the tank valve. So I said screw it, and scored it with the cut off wheel. Bent it, and tested it. Worked great!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0874.jpg

Well, I did have to make a bushing to fix my boo-boo. Probably will make another with a top hat shape.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0873.jpg

Final product. Well, still needs to be be welded at the slit, and some spray paint...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/102_0513.jpg

All this for fancy headers, and a transmission I have to shift MYSELF... :lol:

Twigsoffury
09-15-2011, 07:25 AM
All this for fancy headers, and a transmission I have to shift MYSELF... :lol:

You didn't factor in c00l mode.

altec
10-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Well, I really have no update on the truck, but wanted to post some stuff.

I am working doing a swap in a IH truck. Big old 466. In the process though, there are some goodies on the old engine I am hoping to keep. Namely a Garrett GT4082 turbo, and a nice fuel filter setup.

The turbine on the GT40 is pretty freaking big, but I'm thinking I may be able to make it work. Otherwise I can try to find a smaller turbine for it, trade it, or give it to my Dad for a 400sb he was thinking about.

Twigsoffury
10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Well, I really have no update on the truck, but wanted to post some stuff.

I am working doing a swap in a IH truck. Big old 466. In the process though, there are some goodies on the old engine I am hoping to keep. Namely a Garrett GT4082 turbo, and a nice fuel filter setup.

The turbine on the GT40 is pretty freaking big, but I'm thinking I may be able to make it work. Otherwise I can try to find a smaller turbine for it, trade it, or give it to my Dad for a 400sb he was thinking about.

http://i41.tinypic.com/140iu9.jpg

That guy?

LOL i'd find a way to make it work. Because smoking the tires while already going and in 3rd gear is impressive.

CorsePerVita
10-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Nice work man! Keep up the updates. Loving it!

altec
10-19-2011, 08:45 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/140iu9.jpg

That guy?

LOL i'd find a way to make it work. Because smoking the tires while already going and in 3rd gear is impressive.

The compressor on mine looks different. Size is right though. She is a big girl..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0973.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0974.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/Truck%20Project/IMAG0975.jpg

I'm looking at Holset HX35's. Smaller turbo that would spool quick. Which is what I'm after. I'm a stop light warrior... :D

Nice work man! Keep up the updates. Loving it!

Thanks! I have a gas tank on order. I'm hoping the DT466 swap is done tomorrow, and the weekend will be mine to work on my truck! :D Doping to get a few things done...

Get the fuel pump to carb plumbed
Front brake line
Front half of rear brake line
Accessory bracket bolts
Driver side valve cover gasket
Finish Clutch Pedal Setup

-Return spring on clutch fork
-Tighten bracket
-Get fine thread 1/2 nuts

billygoat333
10-19-2011, 11:56 PM
That's a pretty damn big turbo. lol It would be sweet to rig up a dual turbo setup, one small that spools quick and that big huge one. :D

blaze15301
10-21-2011, 01:40 AM
I would be happy to take that off your hand for you buddy ol pal ol chum. :whistler:

altec
10-21-2011, 10:26 AM
I take Paypal, Money Order, and cash. :D

Snowman
10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
how about hopes and dreams I have a few of those that aren't crushed yet

AmEv
10-21-2011, 08:21 PM
So, WHY would you want to give your dreams away?

Snowman
10-21-2011, 08:25 PM
My waking hour dreams are unobtainable at current and my nocturnal dreams are curse more than blessings

blaze15301
10-22-2011, 12:33 AM
My waking hour dreams are unobtainable at current and my nocturnal dreams are curse more than blessings

so are you trying to sell me a turbo?

CorsePerVita
10-22-2011, 08:06 AM
That turbo is huge!

Reminds me of this:

ufd4pZ5JCcg

Except for the right engine haha!

Twigsoffury
10-23-2011, 03:08 PM
if you want "off the line" power why are you using a turbo?

Should you want the instant response of a supercharger?

Snowman
10-24-2011, 09:14 AM
so are you trying to sell me a turbo?

I can what do you need? usually anything that ends in t3/t4 are lots of fun:D

altec
10-24-2011, 06:03 PM
That turbo is huge!

Reminds me of this:

[youtube]ufd4pZ5JCcg[/yutube]

Except for the right engine haha!

Haha, that is funny! I do love Top Gear, one of my favorite shows. Not that retarded US version though...

Granted, I don't share Clarkson's opinion of it not being possible to make a average car hold it's own against a super car. But, there are enough people out there that would make a car like THAT, and run their mouth, so I can understand how he would form that opinion.

After seeing Jeremy try and work on cars like the Caterham, I wouldn't trust his opinion for much. :D

if you want "off the line" power why are you using a turbo?

Should you want the instant response of a supercharger?

Practicality, cost, and a few other small things. Like turning a supercharger puts a good amount of strain on your crank.

Spooling isn't really a issue. That is what slipping the clutch, and loading it up is for. :twisted: Maybe a line-lock... When I was driving the Dodge RAM with a 5.9 12V, I would left-foot-brake it to spool up to about 5psi, and it would launch hard, and before I knew I was riding on the wastegate.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those people who think you can't put a supercharger on a diesel. I've seen what they can do, and it is mean. I was looking at a guys truck the other day with a Whipple 2.3 on a Cummins running about 4psi AT IDLE, which fed into a Turbocharger using a bypass that kicked in around 15psi. A crazy setup I would love to try some day.

diluzio91
10-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Lol... top gear uk is my current go to show... I love that its on netflix.

altec
02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
My lord! I haven't worked on this pig in HOW LONG?! :( Shame on me!

Well, the good news is now that I have a better job for a bit more stable income I am starting to look at getting some much needed parts for this thing...

Right now I'm looking at getting my brakes done. I do a lot of brake line bending at work, so I think I'm gonna buy a complete prebent kit. Looking at this stainless set at Brothers. Should outlast the rest of the truck...

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STB8141&qty=1

After that a fuel tank, tank straps, and aluminum line to make fuel lines is in order.

Ball is rolling...

altec
06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Went to the junkyard today looking for springs. No luck there for 2", or 1.5" springs. I did however find this... A non-emissions intake, and turbo setup from a 6.5L diesel! These don't last a day. I was amazed to see it, and my Dad who was with me pretty much said we are getting it. lolx

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/Mrjunior/trucks/IMAG0853.jpg

I also eyed a clutch pedal assembly for my K10, and axles for the DJ. Will be going back next weekend.

CorsePerVita
08-04-2012, 09:11 AM
How'd the clutch assembly go?