PDA

View Full Version : Logitech G15 keyboard Review

tybrenis
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
You can check out the new G15 Keyboard review at Power Packed PC.

http://www.powerpackedpc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=13

Redbeard
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
That thing is drop dead sexy... someone want to buy me one? :D

Guttenaffe
02-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I'd like to see it go up against a deck legend in a head-to-head stress test :D

I would have liked to see more of the internals of the keyboard as well; does Logitech void your warrantee if the keyboard is opened? If so what are they trying to hide ;)

It also seems to be adding lots of "bloat" to a system, I wonder if this is for real gamers or "gamers."

If you’re serious about gaming you want the least amount of software running in the background as possible. Fancy high graphics GUI programs that take memory and system resources are a bad thing. Plus I wonder how many interrupts this thing is pulling being hooked into your system for that fancy LCD :rolleyes:

O'well I shall not rant anymore about people marketing to "gamers" and not gamers, but I will say that TG3 markets their "Deck" branded keyboards to true gamers that demand performance (with a little bit of style included, the LEDs) and no bloat ware to install. Though hackers have been buying Deck's as well... And no scirptkiddies or crackers, but people that know how to code.

tybrenis
02-09-2006, 06:40 PM

I would have liked to see more of the internals of the keyboard as well; does Logitech void your warrantee if the keyboard is opened? If so what are they trying to hide ;)

It also seems to be adding lots of "bloat" to a system, I wonder if this is for real gamers or "gamers."

If you’re serious about gaming you want the least amount of software running in the background as possible. Fancy high graphics GUI programs that take memory and system resources are a bad thing. Plus I wonder how many interrupts this thing is pulling being hooked into your system for that fancy LCD :rolleyes:

O'well I shall not rant anymore about people marketing to "gamers" and not gamers, but I will say that TG3 markets their "Deck" branded keyboards to true gamers that demand performance (with a little bit of style included, the LEDs) and no bloat ware to install. Though hackers have been buying Deck's as well... And no scirptkiddies or crackers, but people that know how to code.

This is true, a lot of "gamers" buy these, not real gamers. I claim to be neither, I happen to not play pc or video games.

Guttenaffe
02-11-2006, 12:04 AM
I was just critiquing the review, seemed sort of one sided. It wasn't even compared to another keyboard. Was more of a "wow look at this feature, this one, ooohh and this one too!!" Too many 'reviews' are like that anymore, nothing aginst you. Overall the review was great, I was just was listing some stuff to make it better.

Though it would be nice if somone just wished to know what the keyboard has on it, guess I’m addicted to THG style reviews. :D They can get plum rude over at THG at times, especially if something claims to be the "best" then falls short.

Durrthock
02-11-2006, 02:46 PM
i have one of these keyboards the g keys reall come in handey in guild wars and the volume control is what i use all the time

tybrenis
02-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I was just critiquing the review, seemed sort of one sided. It wasn't even compared to another keyboard. Was more of a "wow look at this feature, this one, ooohh and this one too!!" Too many 'reviews' are like that anymore, nothing aginst you. Overall the review was great, I was just was listing some stuff to make it better.

Though it would be nice if somone just wished to know what the keyboard has on it, guess I’m addicted to THG style reviews. :D They can get plum rude over at THG at times, especially if something claims to be the "best" then falls short.

Thanks for the critique, I am always open to suggestions and advice. You are right, I wrote this review mostly right after I got it, and was still very happy about it. In the future, my reviews will be more comparative and harsh (well, not necessarily harsh). more and more reviews get to be like this because the reviewers want to please their sponsors so they can get more free products, it's a shame.

Thanks mate!

Custom
02-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont have one I got a awesome Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 boy is it comfortable!!

Stealth Clobber
03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a G15. And I got this keyboard for the lightup LED under the keys, and the LCD panel showing me all the information I need in Battlefield 2.

That is until I found out they don't even support one of the biggest multiplayer games of 2005-2006.

therealjoe
04-02-2006, 12:58 PM

were could i buy a deck keyboard ?

OvRiDe
04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
were could i buy a deck keyboard ?

Here is a place to start.. http://www.deckkeyboards.com/

I don't know of any of the big retailers that carry them.

tybrenis
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I always see ads for them, but don't know of any big retailers carrying them.

The Modfather
04-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Guys, if you're considering buying a G15 (or have one now) here's a word of advice. Go get a bottle of clear nailpolish and put it on all of the keys. The board is notorious for the keys wiping off leaving you with a backlit blue smudge instead of the letter/character. Logitech is good about RMA'ing the keyboards but they haven't actually done anything to fix this problem. It takes on average about 2 months for this to start to become a problem. The nail polish trick isn't a perminant solution, you'll likely have to re-apply it every few months to keep the keyboard protected.

Other than this one small problem I've found the keyboard to be the best one I've used in ages. I reviewed it for thinkcomputers.com a couple of months ago. I really like it.

Also I recommend that if you want to tweak the screen, use a program like LCDStudio (which now comes with the necessary driver to use with the G15 by default). It isn't perfect, you can't miminize it to the tray or anything but it's cool none-the-less.

guitar.child
04-16-2006, 08:47 AM
I have the same keybord style mine looks pretty much exatly like it. except mine is from Saitek. It is called an Eclipse and it has a blue back light. I love it and have had it for months the keys dont wear. it was about 20-30 bucks on newegg so yeah just check it out.

The Modfather
04-17-2006, 07:18 AM
The Eclipse is nothing at all like the G15 Guitar. I have one of those too. Yes it has a similar backlighting but other than that it's nothing at all like the G15. It does have a nice feel to it. I modded the heck out of mine. See my site for some pics, it's part of my Necronomicase build: http://www.infinity-customs.com

I don't have the full worklog up for that rig ATM but it shows up in the little image window on the site, look for the keyboard, that's a Saitek Eclipse modded.

Guttenaffe
04-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Thinkgeek and a few other places sell Deck keyboards but that is about it. It's best dang keyboard I've ever used. Though it cost a pretty penny...

Deck is the only company that I know of that wants you mod your keyboard! and modded keyboards still keep the warranty.

our Deck™ keyboard comes with a one-year warranty that covers material and labor. The warranty applies EVEN if you modify your Deck™! Modification must be of proper workmanship (good soldering/unsoldering). The warranty will be voided in the event that modification results in a microprocessor damaged by ESD, or if modification causes damage to the printed circuit board. Final determination of warranty coverage to be made by TG3 Electronics. 30-day money back guarantee void if ANY modifications are made to product.

Aero
04-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Man I want that G15 bad, but it dosen't come in wireless. The LCD would be sweet in a wireless keyboard to be able to check messages/song titles while away from the keyboard. Meh, guess its back to the shopping sites.

The Modfather
04-21-2006, 03:22 AM
If you think about it though, if it were cordless you'd go through batteries like crazy. Think about it, you've got to not only be a wireless keyboard but also power the backlighting and the LCD which is also backlit, I'd imagine you'd be changing batteries at least twice a week. Now a recharable cordless version would be sweet. But I've never had a need for a cordless keyboard myself, mouse yes, board no.

Aero
04-22-2006, 12:21 PM
yeah I've been dead set against wireless for years, but no that I'm using my PC for multimedia and music I like to be able to chage the song without having to walk over to the PC and hit a button.

The Modfather
04-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Hmm, well if you have Windows XP MCE then you could get a remote control for it. My Sony rig came with one, never used it, not sure where it is now but, they're not overly expensive.

Microsoft is putting out a keyboard pretty soon that's designed to take advantage of all the media center functionality, it's cordless of course, designed to be used on your lap in a living room enviornment.

onelegout
04-23-2006, 11:56 AM
My keyboard is dying! :( It keeps not responding and then the right shift gets stuck on and i have to press numlock a few times for it to work again! Does anyone know where I could find a KB-2971 online? :D Ive been typing on it since 1998 and I don't want it to die! :( It is simply the nicest keyboard i have ever typed on. The sound of the keys is fantastic! clack clack clack! I will be sad if I have to replace it with a different model :(
Thanks for all your help
H
H

archmaille
04-23-2006, 07:36 PM
My keyboard is dying! :( It keeps not responding and then the right shift gets stuck on and i have to press numlock a few times for it to work again! Does anyone know where I could find a KB-2971 online? :D Ive been typing on it since 1998 and I don't want it to die! :( It is simply the nicest keyboard i have ever typed on. The sound of the keys is fantastic! clack clack clack! I will be sad if I have to replace it with a different model :(
Thanks for all your help
H
H

Why in the world you would love that keyboard beats me... but hey here ya go http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KB2971&cat=MOU (next time try consulting the great oracle before asking questions :-P that just so happened to be the first entry in Google for KB-2971)

I guess if you like the keyboard that's cool, but I like my keyboard to be easy to type with and quiet... I just ordered a G15 should get it here in a few days more or less.

Tortilaman
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Have you guys seen the Zboards. I think that they are the most amazing thing ever for gaming. There are Two (soon to be three) different kinds.

Their flagship model consists of a base, and a keypad. The keypad is replacable for whatever game or program you are using, such as Battlefield 2, Call of duty, Photoshop, Flash, 3DS Max etc. every major game has it's own keypad you can buy. and when you have more than one, just switch the keypad when you switch programs.

Their second model is called the Merc Gaming Keyboard, this oen doesn't have interchangable keypads, but it does have an extra FPS keypad on the side, with a "Butterfly" pad (different sized keys) Just Check them out at http://www.zboard.com

Omega
05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Personally, i'm not a hardcore gamer. Plus, my rig is good enough to run WoW and whatever **** app that logitech needs for that LCD.

I would probably buy it, if i was unsatisfied with my current keyboard.

What i really need, however, is one of those USB numpads. If you ever play WoW in the BG and you have alot of skills that you use, that little thing can mean the difference between your demise and your victory.

The Modfather
05-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Tort, about the only ZBoard keyboard plugin you mentioned there that actually DOES exist is Battlefield 2, there certainly aren't any keyboard replacements for Photoshop, Flash or any things like that. They have them for BF2, WoW and a few others, none for COD2, UT2k4 and certainly not for applications. Still, it's a good keyboard for gamers.