PDA

View Full Version : pc tech software

Liquid_Scope_99
09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello guys i have started working on more family and friends pcs lately i was wondering what are some of you favorite software you use when troubleshooting pcs . thanks inadvace

slaveofconvention
09-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Have a look on the front page - you'll have to scroll down a bit but there's an article on top 5 tools every tech should have - it'll be a good start for you...

On top of those, the online virus scanner at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ can be a useful tool too... There is another one I use too but I can't remember it lol - careful because a lot of online scanners are just marketing ploys - like Nortons - it'll come up with "There are 32 viruses - if you want to get rid of them, get out your wallet otherwise we'll happily leave you in the mess you're in!"

Luke122
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Eset is a good online scanner, and Windows Live Once Care Safety scanner. Both free, both very good.

Liquid_Scope_99
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
hey +rep i usually just come straight here good point about checking front page yeah i like the eset scanner as well

BuzzKillington
09-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Geeksquad MRI.

gntlkilr
09-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I keep a kit with the following:
-one of those 24 CD Cases with Xp Home/Xp Pro, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate, Kubuntu, MS Office, Trinity Rescue Kit, Norton (latest), ERD Commander 2005, etc
-Box of CAT 5/Cat 6
-RJ-45s
-Crimpers
-Line runner
-network tester (fluke - you can get one on ebay cheap)
-Spare SATA and IDE HDD for emergencies
-external 2.5" 80 Gb drive with the various tools/proggies that I use. Open Office, 7zip, firefox, etc.
-netbook for wireless testing, driver downloads, etc.

Course, I do PC repair for a hobby/second job. :banana:

Liquid_Scope_99
09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey nice list man thanks

gramatton
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
pc repair is what i do for a living. And by far the one thing that has made things the easiest is when me and a guy I work with compiled a boot CD that has Memtest on it, diags for every HDD manufacturer available, partition editors, Norton Ghost, password editor, plus all the programs we use in windows for virus removal, data recovery, little reg fixes or whatever, Norton and McAfee removal tools, etc. Having everything on one disk really helps alot, especially since we don't have to look around for different disks.

And for everything we don't use alot we keep on a external HDD for easy access.

I would also recommend UBCD. Has alot of great tools, is easily customizable, and being able to run scans that you need to run in Windows without actually booting to the HDD is great(esp when you got some of those nasty viruses that stop scanners from running.)

gntlkilr
09-24-2009, 07:30 PM
pc repair is what i do for a living. And by far the one thing that has made things the easiest is when me and a guy I work with compiled a boot CD that has Memtest on it, diags for every HDD manufacturer available, partition editors, Norton Ghost, password editor, plus all the programs we use in windows for virus removal, data recovery, little reg fixes or whatever, Norton and McAfee removal tools, etc. Having everything on one disk really helps alot, especially since we don't have to look around for different disks.

And for everything we don't use alot we keep on a external HDD for easy access.

I would also recommend UBCD. Has alot of great tools, is easily customizable, and being able to run scans that you need to run in Windows without actually booting to the HDD is great(esp when you got some of those nasty viruses that stop scanners from running.)

I agree withe the UBCD. Awesome tool. I need to get the latest version tho. Haven't updated in almost 6 months. LOL

Liquid_Scope_99
09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys this really helps

Datech
10-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Another way to stay up to date on good software is to check out the top freeware picks over at Major Geeks:

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

TheGreatSatan
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I keep one CD handy, all with:

Malwarebytes
Avira
AVG
Advanced System Care
AdAware SE
SD Fix
Revo Uninnstaller
Microsoft Fix-It
Combo Fix

Liquid_Scope_99
10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys this really helps i laptop i just cleaned out and reformatted is coming back .
I told him to be careful what he looks at .

he said that when he goes to a page he get redirected which is bad i know and sometimes when he clicks for to go to the next page i jumps a bunch of pages .

Datech
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
One thing to check on those redirects is the hosts file. Some websites like Malwarebytes will get redirected to Stopzilla and the other nastyware sites.

TheGreatSatan
11-05-2009, 12:32 AM
That's why I get all my stuff from Download.com

farlo
11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
ultimate boot cd
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

has a ton of tools, anytime i fix a pc this free disc is with me

Liquid_Scope_99
11-06-2009, 10:58 PM
thanks TheGreatSatan and farlo