PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Industry standard; yay or nay?

knowledgegranted
09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
The International Electrotechnical Commission has been trying to push for our standard of Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes and Petabytes to change to kibibyes, mebibytes, gebibytes, tebibytes and pebibytes. In doing so they believe they would be correcting an issue we have had for years.

What are your beliefs on the matter?

d_stilgar
09-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I say no. What they should do is grandfather old drives so that they are still fine if 1000gb = Tb, even though that is not true, but that everything produced after a certain date has to be accurate to binary/computer standards.

nevermind1534
09-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I say no. What they should do is grandfather old drives so that they are still fine if 1000gb = Tb, even though that is not true, but that everything produced after a certain date has to be accurate to binary/computer standards.

I like that idea

Spawn-Inc
09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
leave things the way they are... changing it will only mess things up.

or do what d_stilgar said.

or drop prices to reflect the actual amount you get but still make it even numbers.

FuzzyPlushroom
09-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Why they can't make 1.1 "terabyte" drives with one real terabyte - 1,099,511,627,776 bytes - is beyond me. I'd think being able to market "the first honestly-rated platter-based hard drive!" would be worth it.`

Luke122
09-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Why they can't make 1.1 "terabyte" drives with one real terabyte - 1,099,511,627,776 bytes - is beyond me. I'd think being able to market "the first honestly-rated platter-based hard drive!" would be worth it.`

SECOND.

Waynio
09-25-2009, 02:48 AM

I like that idea

Yeah me too

slaveofconvention
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
It'll cost money to change it, and 99% of the population won't notice. This isn't going to happen, even though it should in the interests of honesty...

x88x
09-25-2009, 10:46 AM
It'll cost money to change it, and 99% of the population won't notice. This isn't going to happen, even though it should in the interests of honesty...

/\ This. Sure, it'd be nice, but I don't see it happening, and honestly it really wouldn't make any difference to me if it did happen.

@FuzzyPlushroom: Simple reason there; it would cost slightly more, and most people would ignore the 'first honestly rated drive', and just see 'oh, well, their 1TB costs more than this other 1TB. I'll get the cheaper one'

slaveofconvention
09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
@FuzzyPlushroom: Simple reason there; it would cost slightly more, and most people would ignore the 'first honestly rated drive', and just see 'oh, well, their 1TB costs more than this other 1TB. I'll get the cheaper one'

This sounds familiar lol - see what I put in a similar thread just last week lol

Business... Because if, for example, Seagate started selling 550GB hard disks as 500GB hard disks, they'd lose a fortune to, for example, Western Digital who'd market an identical Drive as 550GB.

Mr Joe Public would walk into the computer shop with his usual lack of a real clue, see Seagate 500GB sitting next to WD 550GB for the same price, and walk about with the WD....

FuzzyPlushroom
09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Sad but true, folks. I'm almost too optimistic for my own good.

EDIT: They might be able to pull it off if they posted large enough "Compare to (X)'s actual 465GB capacity" labels.

d_stilgar
09-26-2009, 03:29 AM
The key really would be marketing. If one company, let's say Seagate, could make all the other companies look like scum bags for "lying" about capacity, then some people might only buy from Seagate, even after the other companies followed suit because they would not trust those companies anymore.

Anyone ever seen a switch ad from Apple?

x88x
09-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Only problem with specifically Seagate taking the moral high ground about it would be that they had a class-action lawsuit against them a few years back about this very thing, and everyone who looked into it would think that they were just doing it because of that.

You make a good point about marketing though; I haven't seen a single ad from Apple about their switch, and Debian and Canonical never said anything when Debian and Ubuntu switched.

Xpirate
09-27-2009, 11:46 AM
The key really would be marketing. If one company, let's say Seagate, could make all the other companies look like scum bags for "lying" about capacity, then some people might only buy from Seagate, even after the other companies followed suit because they would not trust those companies anymore.

Well said. I believe that would cause a change in hard drive marketing.

x88x
09-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but chances are it would probably also cause a lot of lawsuits, especially if they said or insinuated that other companies are marketing their drives dishonestly. And of course there would be the idiot(s) that never knew about it before, but decided to sue Seagate (or whoever) for not switching sooner..

..I guess to sum up, I have absolutely no faith in the human species to act with any semblance of logic.

Xpirate
09-27-2009, 07:42 PM
..I guess to sum up, I have absolutely no faith in the human species to act with any semblance of logic.

That's a signature caliber quote.

knowledgegranted
09-28-2009, 12:34 PM
The thing is...now that you said it would be a good sig quote no one can actually do it because they would look like they are following someone. That would be utterly missing the point because sig quotes are unique to everyone; if you find one before someone else they will never actually do it because someone has already used it and it would make them look like a follow.

Unless of course it is something to be follow, such as a "Good Crits" forum group or a group supporting cancer. Then it would be totally fine and in character if someone were to use the same sig quote.

All in all, I don't think I would be quoting that sentence because of legality of moral following laws.

For anyone that is reading this, you can probably figure out I needed to burn 15 minutes on something and thought it would be most appropriate
to actually burn the 15 minutes giving some totally useless info that in the English language we are accustomed to explain as a "Postulate," something we accept or believe is true.

But if this were truly a postulate I would probably be in math class (which I am) pretending to take notes on my laptop (which of course I am). Now that this fully eventful class is about to end I think I will actually state what I am trying to state.

This math class is boring and really shouldn't be a class.

x88x
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Well you know what the solution to that conundrum would be, yes? Xpirate must put it in his sig. :P

All in all, I don't think I would be quoting that sentence because of legality of moral following laws.
:? I'm not following you...where does 'legality of moral following laws' come into my pessimistic view of the human race?

This math class is boring and really shouldn't be a class.

Hehe, which class?

haha49
10-15-2009, 08:03 PM

it would fix alot of people that dont know about computer stuff problems they get mad when they buy a 1tb drive and it can only store 900gigs worth of stuff they think they got ripped off... when they didnt stuff like that..

Zephik
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Why don't they just make the software read things as 1000 instead of 1024? Since hard drives use the 1000 standard... seems like it would be an easy fix?

artoodeeto
11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I 100% believe in Zephik's sig quote. :P