PDA

View Full Version : Review: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cpu cooler.

Oneslowz28
09-26-2009, 08:23 AM
A new story entry has been added:

Review: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cpu cooler.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/oneslowz28/front_page/tx3/tx3.jpg
(http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/frontpage/?q=node/387)
By Oneslowz28

There was a time when it was tough to keep a single core CPU cool. Today with the average CPU containing anywhere between two and four cores there is increased need for bigger and better CPU coolers. That is just what Cooler Master has delivered. Today I will be reviewing a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (http://coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2922) CPU cooler, so keep reading and check out the results at the end.

mDust
09-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Do you store your benching computer in a refrigerator prior to testing? How did you get below the ambient temp?:think:

Oneslowz28
09-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Actually if you look at the numbers, Ambiet was 22c the lowest the TX3 got down to was 25C

mDust
09-26-2009, 11:43 PM
It looks to me like the cores idle for 1 min between 12-17C stock and 8-14C for the TX3...that makes me want to either run out and buy AMD stock coolers or TX3's right there. Load starts at 1 minute and continues to 26 minutes where the cores begin to idle again. The left side scale should start at 22C as it's not possible to cool below that with just air.:)

I'm known for being wrong a lot though, so tell me where I'm mixed up and I'll nod my head in confused agreement.

Oneslowz28
09-27-2009, 01:19 AM
I see what you are saying. I think that is a problem with OCCT. I verified ambient with 3 different thermometers inside the case.

mDust
09-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I don't want to sound like I'm questioning the legitimacy of the review or anything, because I'm not, but I am wondering about the accuracy of the temp scale on the graphs...22C air blown on a heat sink cannot reduce the heat sink's temp, let alone the proc's temp, below 22C. And unless the computer was in a refrigerator, it should turn on at 22C and increase in temp from there. I don't profess to know anything at all about OCCT, but if it's a new version you may want to roll back to an older version seeing as it's reading the temps and date/time wrong.:)

Oneslowz28
09-28-2009, 01:30 AM
In the interest of accuracy I will install the TX3 again one day this week and run the test again with a different version of OCCT.

blueonblack
09-28-2009, 02:34 AM
While I agree that the temps are obviously way off, we can be sure that they're off in the same direction and the same amount in both tests. Since this was a comparison test, and all of the test criteria were identical between the coolers, the results are still valid.

Having said that, I am interested to see just how high the temps actually got. I'll be looking for an update, thanks!

mDust
09-28-2009, 03:04 AM
In the interest of accuracy I will install the TX3 again one day this week and run the test again with a different version of OCCT.I was thinking about it, and as long as you're running the test again, do you have the ability to measure how loud the TX3 is? If it's not easily done then no worries, but a lot of people consider noise when buying heat sinks, fans and such. You could also invent your own 'loudness scale' I suppose. [whisper, wailing banshee, Saturn V rocket] lol.

While I agree that the temps are obviously way off, we can be sure that they're off in the same direction and the same amount in both tests. Since this was a comparison test, and all of the test criteria were identical between the coolers, the results are still valid.Yep, I'm sure the new graphs will look just about identical, the only differences being the temp range and hopefully the date/time. :D