PDA

View Full Version : Stop Forum Spam

nevermind1534
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.stopforumspam.com/downloads/

They have a nice addon for vb, which blocks known spammers. It also has a report feature built in, to add spammers to their list when an admin goes into "edit profile" for a user.

Since we've had it installed on Your PC Forums (two days), it has caught and killed 14 different spammers before they were even able to post.

Oneslowz28
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
we only average about 3 spammers a week and SgtM kills them before they even get comfy.

Drum Thumper
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
And when he blinks, I snipe the others.

Datech
10-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Aww, I want a spamgun...

slaveofconvention
10-06-2009, 12:27 AM
The problem with any automatic system is false-positives. I'd personally prefer to see a dozen spam posts a day than have one person a week turned away from the site because they were misidentified as a probable spammer.

Course, I don't have to deal with the spammers so my argument is kinda one-sided :p

nevermind1534
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
The problem with any automatic system is false-positives. I'd personally prefer to see a dozen spam posts a day than have one person a week turned away from the site because they were misidentified as a probable spammer.

Course, I don't have to deal with the spammers so my argument is kinda one-sided :p

It's if it matches an ip, username (uncommon ones), or email address of a spammer. All of theme seem to be legit spammers so far (russian or chinese IPs, tons of entries on the list).