PDA

View Full Version : FTC: Bloggers must disclose payments for reviews

SXRguyinMA
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Better watch out when doing your revies guys. Courtesy of Verizon Central Newsroom (http://www.verizon.net/newsroom/portals/newsroom.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=newsroom_portal_page__article&_article=2365971&_ref=articlePage)

What do you guys think? :think:

The Federal Trade Commission will try to regulate blogging for the first time, requiring writers on the Web to clearly disclose any freebies or payments they get from companies for reviewing their products.

The FTC said Monday its commissioners voted 4-0 to approve the final Web guidelines, which had been expected. Violating the rules, which take effect Dec. 1, could bring fines up to $11,000 per violation. Bloggers or advertisers also could face injunctions and be ordered to reimburse consumers for financial losses stemming from inappropriate product reviews.

The commission stopped short of specifying how bloggers must disclose conflicts of interest. Rich Cleland, assistant director of the FTC's advertising practices division, said the disclosure must be "clear and conspicuous," no matter what form it will take.

Bloggers have long praised or panned products and services online. But what some consumers might not know is that many companies pay reviewers for their write-ups or give them free products such as toys or computers or trips to Disneyland. In contrast, at traditional journalism outlets, products borrowed for reviews generally have to be returned.

Before the FTC gave notice last November it was going to regulate such endorsements, blogs varied in the level of disclosures about these potential conflicts of interest.

The FTC's proposal made many bloggers anxious. They said the scrutiny would make them nervous about posting even innocent comments.

To placate such fears, Cleland said the FTC will more likely go after an advertiser instead of a blogger for violations. The exception would be a blogger who runs a "substantial" operation that violates FTC rules and already received a warning, he said.

Existing FTC rules already banned deceptive and unfair business practices. The final guidelines aim to clarify the law for the vast world of blogging. Not since 1980 had the commission revised its guidelines on endorsements and testimonials.

Cleland said a blogger who receives a freebie without the advertiser knowing would not violate FTC guidelines. For example, someone who gets a free bag of dog food as part of a promotion from a pet shop wouldn't violate FTC guidelines if he writes about the product on his blog.

Blogger Linsey Krolik said she's always disclosed any freebies she's received on products she writes about, but has stepped up her efforts since last fall. She said she adds a notice at the end of a post, "very clear in italics or bold or something - this is the deal. It's not kind of buried."

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

Mark_Hardware
10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I guess I understand what they are saying, but I don't necessarily agree that more legislation will solve anything. People should know to read more than one review of an item or service, not just base an opinion of one article which *may* have been funded.
I think it may just be an excuse to try and make some money off of companies in a way that hasn't been done before

Zephik
10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
My first thought was "hell no", my second thought was "well, maybe the review is biased because the person who reviewed it was paid for it?". I've seen plenty of reviews that just stink of bias-ism. Like on products that you know quite a bit about, that you hear from all over the place that it sucks, but the reviewer gives it a gold star and has little to say about the bad things. Of course, maybe that's just due to a bad reviewer.

Well anyways, I think that as the consumer, I can only see this as a good thing for us. It would only be a bad thing for reviewers if you're a dirty reviewer.

We, as in us nerds, know to go around the web and compare reviews. However, most people don't do that and don't want to do that. For them its just a hassle, for us its just fun. Granted, there are a lot more nerds on the internet than normal people, however that is quickly changing. But like I said, I can only see this as a good thing no matter how you slice it. Just say if you were paid or not and that's all you have to do.

I voted "Maybe", by the way.

mtekk
10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I really don't see how it is any of the FTC's business. If one site is primarily biased, there are others that can take their place. No one should base any buying decision off the advice of only one person, especially if they do not know that person very well. Do some background research on the reviewer. Bad sites will be outed by the community (see what happened to THG a while back).

What the FTC should do, if they get really board, is go after the "sponsors" that don't require that their "reviewers" to disclose their ties to the "sponsor" (they're not necessarily proposing to do this now). But, before they do that they should be going after the MPAA and RIAA (conspiring to defraud customers), as well as the clowns at Macrovision for the same offense.

Luke122
10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I absolutely agree that if you are given a product for free for a review, that you should disclose that to the reader.

If you are truly dedicated to offering the truth in your review, then you will not be swayed by the "gift". Product reviews should be 100% objective, offering both the positive AND negatives of the product, to allow the consumer to make an informed decision.

If a product is truly so terrible that NOTHING positive can be said of it, the supplying company should be informed before posting the review; there is a possibility that the product received is defective or otherwise not indicative of the quality of the product overall. A company who does not care about a negative review of it's product should be avoided at all costs; if they dont care what people think of something, then why should they care to support it?

Oneslowz28
10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
THis will affect anyone who has a sponsored mod too.

But I think that all reviewers will have to do is put a disclosure at the bottom of their review like "This product was provided to TBCS free of charge in consideration for review"

Luke122
10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
THis will affect anyone who has a sponsored mod too.

I dont quite think it does.. I'm pretty sure it only applies to people who are advertising or reviewing products. Unless you are using your mod to advertise a product, (which really.. is what a sponsorship is all about I guess), then you only need to state "this product was donated by CompanyX in exchange for advertising or reviewing consideration".

I could be way off here.. is anyone here a lawyer?

slaveofconvention
10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I think the sponsored mod thing is not an issue. It's sponsored! That in itself is an admission that the parts are provided by the company without payment or heavily subsidised

Xpirate
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
But I think that all reviewers will have to do is put a disclosure at the bottom of their review like "This product was provided to TBCS free of charge in consideration for review"

This is probably how places that do reviews like CNET works.

Getting paid to write what is supposed to be an objective review from the manufacturer IS a conflict of interest.

SXRguyinMA
10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
indeed, it can go either way for me. I'm with most (if not all) of you guys though, I dont buy something based off of one review. I read a lot of them and also do other comparisons as well

d_stilgar
10-07-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't think legislation should be made to regulate this. In TWiT episode 214 they talked about this issue and it more being a credibility issue, but noting that most reviewers are going to voluntarily put disclosures up to defend their credibility vs. having some commenter expose them.

As in anything, you need to make sure you get your information from a reliable source and you must get it from more than one source. If you hear something on Fox News or CNN,try checking Al Jazeera and BBC news as well. It's nice to see the different views.

If you are so dumb as to be dooped by a blogger paid to review their freebies, then you are a moron who deserves to lose your money. You obviously didn't care enough about it to make an attempt at an informed decision.