PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking help

X-Infinity
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I have a pentium 4 630 3.0 that i have overclocked to 3.62. I dont kno that much about overclocking and i would like to know if i need to up the voltage or anything to the northbridge.

Jetty_200
02-17-2006, 12:48 PM
That's a very big jump....you should make sure of you temps first, then you should check to see how stable it is with loads, increasing slowly...kuz that is indeed a fairly large jump. If the system crashes or hangs i would say put it about 3/4 of that or even half that and slowly bring it back up...peice by peice until you are happy with it. Then if everything seems ok, i.e. the temp. is ok, the system doesn't hang or crash under full load, if that is the case and the temps are alright but crash occurs and such then increase the voltage. Only do this is very very little steps kuz otherwise you could easily fry that pretty little chip of yours. which equals bad news....obviously. anyways good luck and it's always good to ask questions about overclocking as that is a really good way to screw up your system or break stuff. :D

X-Infinity
02-18-2006, 12:06 AM
temp runs at 33c and 44-45c load. everything runs perfectlly stable and doesnt crash, ran prime95 for 2 days and ran fine.

Omega
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
uh, i doubt 'prime95' is very stressfull.

look into something like 3dMark05, it's a stressful benchmarking program.

bigbaddog
02-20-2006, 10:40 AM
SiSoft Sandra also has an excellent burn in program that I use to test all the new systems that I build. It's a great and free download here. (http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=)

bartvandenberg
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
for o'cing a athlon 3200+ 64 bit from 2.0 to 2.2, and uping the voltage .05, am i in any way risking frying my cpu? its the smallest voltage jump i can make. you guys know anythign about it?

Omega
03-06-2006, 08:18 PM
study. read overclock.net.

i've OC'd my 2.2 Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle to 2.3GHz (from 2.2) without any extra voltage, temps, nothing.

=/

bartvandenberg
03-06-2006, 08:48 PM
well. its not like i havent looked. its just some people say "stay completely away from uping voltage" and others say its no biggie. so.. jsut thought id double check. but.. ive got mine overclocked at 2.2. stable, same temps, no voltage change. good enough for me.

Omega
03-07-2006, 02:11 AM
have you run extensive testing? under idle and load?

i suggest you do.

Jetty_200
03-07-2006, 10:11 AM
i got mine oc'ed from a 3200+ to 2.64Ghz. small voltage puch and nothing more, stable and very cool right now. i need to clean my case again...

Ok so about upping the voltage...well the only deal with that is every time you up the voltage you get just a lil bit closer to frying it. Ok so the reason uping the voltage is so bad is kuz you normally can go one bit up...but not to far up, if you feel lucky go all the way but hey i wouldn't.

Uping the voltage is like if you are standing on the side of a cliff blind folded, take one more step and you are still safe but take one to many and you aren't sure of where the edge is at...and well....crap :( anyways there is no real particular way to determine where the max is for uping the voltage. i suggest just going one up...you are generally really safe then and can get a little bit outta it.

Omega
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
yeah, well, it;s not like you havent seen this metaphorical cliff before. you can get a general idea of 'safe' voltages by studying other people's OC efforts on the same CPU (keep in mind, even though we all have Athlon64 3200+s, mine's the Newcastle, somebody elses is the Clawhammer, and somebody elses might be the Venice. i've got the fastest (standard) clocked 3200+ you can get, whereas the Clawhammer and Venice are both 2.0GHz, and they both have different L2.).

AMD is strange, having like 4 versions of one CPU. go Newcastle!

onelegout
03-08-2006, 07:34 AM
I also have the same cpu OCd to 3.62 stable with fan cooling it idles at 29c which i beleive is incredibly cool for an oc of that size and only fan cooled! I think it is because I always have my window open and the cold air goes straight into my intake fans :)