PDA

View Full Version : Intel Celeron 933mhz overlocking help!

vectran
02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi, I am a beginner to overclocking and I heard that some CPU's are better to overclock than others. I have a Celeron 933mhz CPU and I am wondering how much I can get out of it without anything blowing up or fancy cooling.

Thanks!

Omega
03-04-2006, 09:30 PM
i wouldn't push that thing too far over 1ghz.

but then agian, i wouldn't OC it either.

crenn
03-04-2006, 09:38 PM
The max you might be able to get out of it is 1.2GHz.... but that's with better cooling and a better TIM.

tecguy
03-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi, I am a beginner to overclocking and I heard that some CPU's are better to overclock than others. I have a Celeron 933mhz CPU and I am wondering how much I can get out of it without anything blowing up or fancy cooling.

Thanks!

ummm what is ocing and also how far can i psu a athlon 64 3000++2.0ghz,socket939 512kb

DaveW
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
ummm what is ocing and also how far can i psu a athlon 64 3000++2.0ghz,socket939 512kb

Whoa! Careful there buddy! Don't muck around with overclocking. Overclocking is changing either the bus speed or the multiplier in order to get a rise in the clock speed of a processor. You can also overclock your Graphics card and RAM and so forth, but i'm not much of an overclocker myself so i can't explain how. But you will need a big ass system to get the extra heat out the case, and you void your warranty the minute you overclock-and if you mess it up, there's a damn good chance you will fry your CPU, RAM, or mobo.

Not to say that's stopped anyone from spending hundreds of notes trying to get those extra few cycles out the damn chip-in fact, some people spend more on their cooling systems than the price difference to the next processor in the range!

If your CPU runs fine, don't overclock. You probably won't need to overclock that CPU right now anyway.

-Dave

Omega
03-05-2006, 03:24 PM
i can tell you how to OC the athlon 64 series, but be warned, if you burn out/overheat/detonate(yes, CPU's can explode)/melt your CPU, i take no liability.

now, if you do a very slight OC, the temp shouldn't rise very far (mine rose about 1 degree C), plus you won't need a new cooling system. keep in mind, however, overclocking computers these days is almost pointless, because the performance gains do not outweigh the risks.

Okay. if you still want to OC your 3000+, let me know.

Whoa! Careful there buddy! Don't muck around with overclocking. Overclocking is changing either the bus speed or the multiplier in order to get a rise in the clock speed of a processor. You can also overclock your Graphics card and RAM and so forth, but i'm not much of an overclocker myself so i can't explain how. But you will need a big ass system to get the extra heat out the case, and you void your warranty the minute you overclock-and if you mess it up, there's a damn good chance you will fry your CPU, RAM, or mobo.

Not to say that's stopped anyone from spending hundreds of notes trying to get those extra few cycles out the damn chip-in fact, some people spend more on their cooling systems than the price difference to the next processor in the range!

Believe it or not, i have only one major new cooling device, and it ran me 30$. and i'm overclocked on an Athlon64 3200+, newcastle core, socket 754. it's not so risky if you only do small increases, like adding 100mhz or 200mhz onto the total speed. it'll just get a tiny bit warmer.

Now, the warranty isn't always voided. i know that AMD actually lets you OC, within a safe range (which i think is 200MHz). however, your mobo warranty will be voided, no question.

Another thing:
Don't OC the video card. the gains are even smaller there. instead, speed up your AGP Bus (or PCI-e bus, if you can find it). i got a much greater gain from a 11MHx jump on the AGP Bus than i did with a 50MHz jump on both the core and mem speeds on my X800SE.

vectran
03-08-2006, 02:33 AM
I was just planning on overclocking my 933mhz cos' it would be good fun! So 1ghz without any extra cooling? What is a good CPU to overclock?

Omega
03-08-2006, 03:31 AM
I was just planning on overclocking my 933mhz cos' it would be good fun! So 1ghz without any extra cooling? What is a good CPU to overclock?

1GHz should be fine.

and Opterons are Famous for thier OCing.