PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Hide My Ide Cables!

Conspiracy
04-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Like the title says thats the #1 thing i want to take care of for now. Before i sleeve my PSU's cables and stuff I gotta take care of those nasty IDE Cables. Is it possible 2 sleeve them? Is there any good hiding tricks or anything that u guyz could help me with? And also 1 last thing where can i purchase "Split Loom" and those "Braided Cable Sleeve Things" I really want some. Thanks.

ZeD
04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Are they round or flat? if the latter the best bet is to go origami on them and start folding. If you really wanna get slick you can do what I did a long long time ago. Solder the connections directly on the backside of the motherboard, ultimate stealth. If you do that however and destroy your board dont come crying to me. I have done it more than once a few years back on old equipment and it has worked flawlessy. Take your time, be patient and buy lots and lots of soldering tips.

Guttenaffe
04-06-2005, 01:07 AM
...buy lots and lots of soldering tips.

I have 4 tips for my iron, and they are the same 4 tips I bought when I got the thing. I have a conical to do small surface-mount, small chisel to do larger surface-mount like 1206 package, and I have a medium chisel for small hole-though, and a large chisel for bigger ground plane soldering with through-hole. If you take care of your tips they will last forever. I wrote an article about soldering for POC I never got around to finishing, even if I finished it now I would have no place to post it except maybe in the forums here I guess. I'll give you the main 2 things to keep your tips lasting long
1) Never and I mean NEVER place a hot soldering iron or tip into or next to anything to try and rapidly cool it down. This is prob the biggest mistake of people, there is a process called thermal shock to metal when you do this, and there is a very very thin coating on the tip called the "solderabality" coating which will peel off when it is so rapidly shocked. The faster way to cool a Iron tip is to place it on an aluminum block, but the best way it to let it cool off in the open air either in a special tip holder or inside the iron itself, this is the longest method but it is the best for the tip and the heating element.

2) ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS place a good amount of solder onto your tip before putting it in a soldering station/stand. This will protect the tip against oxidation, which will also permanently damage a tip. If you place this solder onto the tip it will oxidize and you can wipe it off with a very slightly damp sponge (non-dripping). When using a soldering iron and you notice the tip starts to get a dark gray to the extreme purplish/red color add a little bit of solder and then wipe it clean again on the sponge.

fishies
04-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Like the title says thats the #1 thing i want to take care of for now. Before i sleeve my PSU's cables and stuff I gotta take care of those nasty IDE Cables. Is it possible 2 sleeve them? Is there any good hiding tricks or anything that u guyz could help me with? And also 1 last thing where can i purchase "Split Loom" and those "Braided Cable Sleeve Things" I really want some. Thanks.

Here's a link to a tutorial I found most helpful. http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/sleeving_cable_guide.php As with any guide, read the whole thing before you start anything. Make sure you understand what it says. (Sounds silly, but misunderstandings do happen)

As for where to buy split loom. Try Home Depot.
If you want a sleeving kit, I recommend www.adpmods.com Their support is pretty good, and their prices are fair.

Hope this helps.

ZeD
04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
If you want a sleeving kit, I recommend www.adpmods.com (http://www.adpmods.com/) Their support is pretty good, and their prices are fair.
Thats nice but doesn't that contradict what you said in an earlier post?

"I am not one to endorse one store over another, unless I'm paid to do so, and I don't like to play favorites."

How much ya getting paid?

fishies
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Why is it you're looking for a fight?

Whisp
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Come on guys. relax. take a breather and lets enjoy this great new environment that paul has organized for us. The forum is only as good as its members and if everyone is fighting it will ruin a great atmosphere which this forum can provide.

fishies
04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Whisp: I'm just trying to help people. Quite frankly, Moderators shouldn't act like this. It makes the site owner look bad.

Whisp
04-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Well lets not worry about it and just move on :)

fishies
04-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I try, dude. I try.

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Whoa calm down guys lol. That adpmods.com is exactly wat i was looking for. I just have 1 last question, can i just replace my IDE cables with these pre-rounded/sleeved IDE cables(FIRST LINK)? Cause i dunt wanna skrew mine up.....also I prolly cant but could i use the CoolerMaster SATA cables to replace mine(SECOND LINK)?

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/IDE-ATA-Cables-p-1-c-31.html if so wat about these...?

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/Coolermaster-18-SATA-Cable-UV-Orange-p-1643.html

Thanks Lotz!

Zuke
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes, you can use any IDE rounded cable to go to any IDE device.

You guessed it, you cannot use a SATA cable to run an IDE device. Unless you can figure a way to get 40 signals to run on 6 wires.

Now there are PATA>SATA converters that will convert your IDE drives into SATA drives. HOWEVER, they also slow your performance, still require you to have onboard SATA ports on your mobo, add another 1.5 inches to the back of every HDD you're converting, AND require their own power from a berg connector (floppy plug).

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeh i didnt think so, Well then thx for all the replies guyz. Im gunna order two 18'' dual Blue UV IDE cables and one 18'' Blue UV Floppy Cable then 3-4 blue split looms and then 2 Blue UV CCFL's 2 light up my IDE'S / Floppy Cables...Its gunna be bad a$$

Whisp
04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Make sure you get uv cathodes and not blue cathodes since the blue cathodes wont make the uv items react. As far as I know there is no blue uv cathodes and its one or the other.

might be a typo since your going nuts with the blue lol.

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 07:49 PM
LOOL nah man theres Blue UV CCFL's Ill get ya the link m8...

Ah found it...

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/DUAL-12-UV-COLD-CATHODE-KIT-p-1367.html

Whisp
04-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Its not blue. Its purple and is because uv is hard to take pictures of. They are not blue.

Even the listing says it is uv. And I have boughten many uv cathodes from anand at adpmods.

Here is an example. ther are 3 uv cathodes in there.

http://www.whisptech.com/images/mods/chenbrocathode/threelight.jpg

they may look a bit blue but uv is not a blue bulb.

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 08:01 PM
gee thx whisp...just crush my dreams k?

LOOL!!!

Whisp
04-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Well its a purplish blue. Its actually nice glow. In most of my systems I have done I have used UV cathodes since I don't really like bright systems. The blue reactive items will look nice. That is the point of uv. To get the items that are reactive to show up without the cathode dimming them out from too much brightness. I have found that sunbeam ones are very bright and sort of ruin the effect while some of the other brands like for example my big foot cathode is a bit darker and makes my items vibrant. The one you linked is not a sunbeam I dont think and not to say the sunbeam dont work but I have seen better when it comes to UV cathodes. You will be ok with the one you linked.

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Alright then cool, u like my sig whisp? I uploaded it just now cause i figured this forums disabled image sig's since im the only 1 that i kno of with 1 lol !

Whisp
04-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Thats because of this rule.

"Signature Size Limits
All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, and you can't have images.
For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 500 chars total. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
"

fishies
04-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Whoa calm down guys lol. That adpmods.com is exactly wat i was looking for. I just have 1 last question, can i just replace my IDE cables with these pre-rounded/sleeved IDE cables(FIRST LINK)? Cause i dunt wanna skrew mine up.....also I prolly cant but could i use the CoolerMaster SATA cables to replace mine(SECOND LINK)?

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/IDE-ATA-Cables-p-1-c-31.html if so wat about these...?

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/Coolermaster-18-SATA-Cable-UV-Orange-p-1643.html

Thanks Lotz!

No problem dude. I hope you get what you need.

I'm waiting on a shipment from them (shipment number 8 ) and should get it first of next week.

They don't have everything, but what store does? As so far, I've bought from 3 online stores, and 2 local brick and mortar stores for the one case I'm working on, and I haven't bought any components yet. Sometimes that's just how it goes.