PDA

View Full Version : crApple Touch Headphone Jack

Trace
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
My headphone jack on my 8GB iPod Touch 1G has stopped outputting sound to the left headphone. Apple store wanted $150 to replace the whole iTouch.

Does anybody know a good, easy way to fix this or am I better to throw it on eBay and buy a new one?

+Rep's will be handed out accordingly,

Trace

Zephik
11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Ooooh, ouch. This is not good. Most things are repairable, but with the 1st generation the headphone jack is attached to the main-board, which just so happens to be the most expensive piece. ><

Option 1: If the headphone jack has become disconnected from the main-board, you could try re-soldering it to the main-board.

Option 2: You could either sell it off on ebay and buy one of the new ones (or a Zune HD! :p) OR you could go on ebay and look for a cheap used one with a functioning main-board. Note: Buy at your own risk, of course.

Option 3: Make your wallet cry. Honestly, this is a crappy option. At this point, just buy a new one as it'll cost about the same. http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/4230-mainboard-ipod-touch.html

Option 4: Find a pet cemetery, kill a chicken and dance the dance of the iPod while offering your soul to the almighty Steve Jobs from sundown to sunrise. ...on fire. ...under water. ...in space. ...on fire again.

I'd either hit up ebay or just buy a new ipod since any kind of repair parts or service aside from ebay is going to cost about the same as buying a new one anyways.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if you could find a third party accessory that attaches to the dock connector area that has a headphone jack built-in to it? Hmmm... just food for thought I guess. I don't have the time at the moment to look through 10,000 ipod accessories. lol

Trace
11-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Edit: Actually, I wonder if you could find a third party accessory that attaches to the dock connector area that has a headphone jack built-in to it? Hmmm... just food for thought I guess. I don't have the time at the moment to look through 10,000 ipod accessories. lol

I like this idea! I'll check into it. As Promised, some Rep is coming your way.
EDIT:
So, I have nothing to lose by opening it and trying a home built fix.

Zephik
11-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I like this idea! I'll check into it. As Promised, some Rep is coming your way.
EDIT:
So, I have nothing to lose by opening it and trying a home built fix.

The only thing you lose by opening it up is the warranty. Apple won't even look at it if you open it up. You also run the risk of cracking the screen or breaking something else. That happened to me. Definitely use the proper tools, although the reviews on them are pretty ****ty.. so.. just be super super careful.

Trace
11-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Alright, warrenty is gone, so that doesn't matter to me.

Ive seen people use guitar picks and such to do it

Zephik
11-06-2009, 12:11 AM
That'd probably work. I used a super thin screw driver and it just cracked the screen like it was nothing. So definitely use something that's soft, like plastic, like a guitar pick.

Trace
11-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Alright, sounds good! Thanks for help!~

Zephik
11-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Anytime. I went into a state of panic when I broke my Touch. I'm still having withdrawals from not having one for so long. lol

Trace
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I found this (http://http://www.portatronics.com/guide/iPod-Touch-Repair-Guide/ipod-touch-headphone-jack-repair.html) guide on how to do it. I'm going to give it a try.

Luke122
11-06-2009, 12:24 PM
The dock connector has pre-amp outputs only, so this device could still be useful! FM transmitters, bluetooth transmitters, etc use the dock connector.

You could just throw "Remote" software on there, anduse it to run your iTunes on your computer.. enjoy the wifi, and keep it as is for games and such.. rather than risk breaking it.

The newer ones are nicer anyways with the external audio volume, and they are also slightly faster are they not? I'm not 100% up on the touch.. my little 4th gen Nano just keeps on plugging along. :D

Luke122
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh, and the newer ones have a small internal speaker too IIRC, so they can be used for low volume listening/watching without headphones

Trace
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
That's true.
I'll have to go check prices on the new ones.