PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Hide My Ide Cables!

Conspiracy
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I didnt kno where 2 post this so...yeh. Like the title says thats the #1 thing i want to take care of for now. Before i sleeve my PSU's cables and stuff I gotta take care of those nasty IDE Cables. Is it possible 2 sleeve them? Is there any good hiding tricks or anything that u guyz could help me with? And also 1 last thing where can i purchase "Split Loom" and those "Braided Cable Sleeve Things" I really want some. Thanks.

Whisp
04-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Lots of stores carry mesh sleeving and split loom. Not sure where you are but most likely an online store near you has it. Some local stores are starting to carry it these days but just like the vantec kits and such. My personal preference is mesh but it is a bit harder to do then split loom and split loom is a good starting point even though I dont not like the stuff.

As for an ide cable if you are careful you can round them if you like. Just cut with an xacto blade between the lines everey so many bumps(wires) on the cable and then wrap them up. I have personally done it with electrical tape but that was back in the day when there was no round cables which is something you could purchase instead. Either that or you could orgami them around to be hidden a bit.

This is one with teh psu and ide vables all rounded with electrical tape lol.
http://www.whisptech.com/images/Gallery/whispsetup/insideserver2.jpg

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
So in that pic whomevers it is just wrapped the ide and psu cables in colored electrical tape?

Whisp
04-06-2005, 10:54 AM
lol

Thats my old server from like 5 years ago lol. Like i stated I cut sections into the ribbon cable so they where in strips and then wrapped with tape. back then mesh or split loom was around but not that common and this was an easy way to do it with electrical tape.

here (http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/rc/index.shtml) is a guide that explains it more since I did not have a digital camera back in those days.

Hope that helps.

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Wait so basically i take the xacto knife and cut inbetween each wire on the IDE cables then just wrap them up in the colored elec. tape right? that seems a little risky man...

fishies
04-06-2005, 11:07 AM
use a safety pin. Less chance of cutting the wires.

Honestly, though... You might be better off to just buy a new set of rounded cables.

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 11:10 AM
LOL... I didnt know I can just buy like normal rounded ones instead of these IDE's! Thats way easier man...Where can i get them? Send me link please. Oh and thanks whisp for the help man, I love you...LOL!

fishies
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I live in Canada, and use www.adpmods.com, but ehre are many places t buy them from. If you need them now, go to your local computer store.

Whisp
04-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Local store should have them these days.

Frakk
04-06-2005, 03:07 PM
taping it together is a lot cheaper and more fun to do :) it is not risky at all, ive made a couple round cables too. what you need to do is just cut between every 5 wires or so, then just pull them apart.

Whisp
04-06-2005, 03:21 PM
yeah I did the same thing. I didnt do every single one. i think its a great starter mod. One of the first mods i ever did :)

fishies
04-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Just remember to be patient. If you rush it, you will screw it up. My rule of thumb....

Conspiracy
04-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks very very much guyz, im gonna get right to it, ill try it with my fingernail first and if that doesnt work then ill try a safety pin, and ill do it about every 4-5 wires. Thanks alot for all who replied!

STARFOXtjb
05-03-2005, 09:30 AM
It sounds really risky to split the wires apart on an ide cable but if your working with the standard 40 conducter cables your good to go its the 80 conducter cables that i would worry about and if you want to know whats risky its hooking a third ide plug to an ide cable thats risky and hard but i have done it and i use that cable for my manual switchable hard drive setup

Guttenaffe
05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
http://www.svc.com has cheep round cables. They have excess inventory from PCToys (used to be sold in CompUSA) in WAY low prices.
Link to clearance cables: http://www.svc.com/pctoyrcblowout.html

Their other cables don't cost that much either and are high quality with twisted pair wiring and the metal ones can be grounding to help with EMI.