PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty series....WTF Activision?!?!?!

x88x
11-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Feel free to move this to Chatter Box if you prefer, mods.

So, during a break in playing through Modern Warfare 2, I got in this discussion with a friend, and was wondering what everyone's take on this was. Apparently CoD7 is being developed for Activision by Treyarch...and I can't for the life of me figure out why...you'd think that they would have figured it out by now:

CoD 1: pretty awesome: Infinity Ward
CoD 2: not awesome, but definitely good: Infinity Ward
CoD 3: crap: Treyarch
CoD4, MW: completely awesome: Infinity Ward
CoD, WaW: crap: Treyarch (ok, to be fair, I never played WaW myself, just going off what I've heard from people who have)
CoD, MW2: completely awesome: Infinity Ward
CoD7: under development: Treyarch???

Seriously, somewhere along the line somebody at Activision must have thought: "Hey, the last two games that Treyarch made for us were crap...why are we having them make another one??"

Killa_Ape
11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I like WaW (maybe b/c of the bolt actions) and the nazi zombies was a hit they sell so many of those on release day it's crazy it's pure money making right there. Some people don't like the WW2 setting for it b/c it's been done so many times but they do have a story and if I remember correctly it's longer then MW2 (I could be wrong it's been a while since I played it).

There are tons of servers up for WaW (PC version I'm talking about) and lots are full so I'd say they did pretty decent. I think not having a dedicated server for PC on MW2 was a bad idea as I enjoy the multi more on PC then console (more players, longer matches, custom game settings). It's too bad they didn't have dedicated and IW have their matchmaking. I hope that CoD7 has dedicated servers again!

As a side note I really didn't care for the first 3 CoDs I can't even remember why I didn't like them now but they didn't appeal to me.

slaveofconvention
11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I think the main appeal of fps with a PC instead of a mouse is simply down to speed and accuracy of aiming - it's a lot quicker to aim with a mouse than a joystick, even with the limited auto-lock available with some of them

mtekk
11-15-2009, 02:07 PM
CoD 1: pretty awesome: Infinity Ward
CoD 2: not awesome, but definitely good: Infinity Ward
CoD 3: crap: Treyarch
CoD 4, MW: completely awesome: Infinity Ward
CoD, WaW: crap: Treyarch (ok, to be fair, I never played WaW myself, just going off what I've heard from people who have)
CoD, MW2: complete crap: Infinity Ward
CoD 7: under development: Treyarch???

There fixed that for ya. While MW2 may be a "good" Xbox 360 game (btw. with your system why are you gaming on a 360?), it is a pretty poor PC game. The PC version is nothing but a crappy console port, complete with no dedicated servers (I refuse to pay for or play a game that is a poor console port). Since Treyarch is not Infinty Ward, they probably won't include IWNET in CoD 7, instantly making it better than MW2 (assuming Treyarch included dedicated servers in CoD 7). So I'd say let Treyarch have another go.

crenn
11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Funny story, the PC version has dedicated server support... just it's disabled.

NightrainSrt4
11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
That irks me, lol. I really really want to grab MW2. A lot of my friends have it and are playing it. But the removal of so much of what I consider the benefits of pc gaming make me not want to support a dev who does that.

I haven't played COD4 multiplayer, and by the time I decided I wanted to, it felt too late. I didn't want to play catchup. I was really looking forward to MW2 and being able to start fresh with everyone and experience it along with them.

MW2 is something I so desperately want to experience, but I just can't support what they are doing. It is so difficult to try and vote with my wallet when everyone around me is just falling in line. If only they'd implement dedicated servers . . .

EDIT: And it doesn't matter if the games Treyarch makes aren't that great if they are still making a KILLING. By having Treyarch bang one out, Activision can make craptons of money each year instead of every other. People will still buy it regardless.

x88x
11-15-2009, 04:55 PM
(btw. with your system why are you gaming on a 360?).

:? I did play it on my PC. I actually don't own a 360...or a TV, for that matter :D

To clarify, I'm judging them entirely on gameplay and campaign storyline. TBH, I don't really care about the multiplayer, since I never really do multiplayer, so the removal of (official) dedicated server support didn't really bother me, though it does seem like a rather dick move on their part. I know they've taken a lot of crap for that and the removal of the console, but outside of multiplayer, does it really matter? OOC, is there anything about MW2 that you didn't like other than the multiplayer changes? Not trying to be a fanboy here, but I think it's pretty sad that so many people boycotted it just because of the MP changes; it's not just a MP game, in fact, it's not even a primarily MP game, I wouldn't think. The vast majority of the development time and money for a game like, well, most FPSs, is spent on the SP campaign (also the graphics engine, if they make their own), not on the MP. I mean, if that's all those people wanted it for, that's fine, but that's their choice.

Killa_Ape
11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
If single player was the main focus I expect more then 5 hours of game play. Multi player is the only reason to actually buy it at full price for me otherwise I'd wait to buy it at a cheaper price (assuming it ever comes down or a Steam sale). They do tell a nice story but I just expect more bang for the buck.

x88x
11-15-2009, 07:01 PM
*shrugs* I got about 7 hours on the initial play-thru :P IDK, as long as it's well done, I don't have a problem with paying retail for it. It's not like the price of new games has changed in the last...forever? I think what really sells a game's campaign mode is its replayability. For example, I've played through HL2 about 5-6 times since it was released, and MW, I think 3.

SXRguyinMA
11-15-2009, 08:38 PM
:stupid:

I dont care about dedicated servers and whatnot, and TBH I dont have a clue what you're talkin about when it comes to it lol. I bought it because I got COD4 from a friend for free and loved it, and I've heard nothing but good about this since it came out. And now that I've played it, I agree, it kicks ass.

d_stilgar
11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I got COD4:MW free with my video card purchase. The game plays fairly well on PC, although some things feel very console oriented about it. I never played online. I'm going to wait for MW:2 to be $20 before I get it. Of course, there's something about COD games that the price never ever drops even years later. They need to take a note from Steam. Have they read about how much more money they would make if they dropped the price by $20 sometime in the first month of relsease? (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693342/live-blog-dice-2009-keynote---gabe-newell-valve-software.html) To quote the article, "At 75% off, they are making 15% more money than they were at full price." Come on!!!!

mtekk
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
:? I did play it on my PC. I actually don't own a 360...or a TV, for that matter :D

I was joking on the fact that none of the console players find any faults in the game, when a vocal portion of the PC gamer community is upset.

To clarify, I'm judging them entirely on gameplay and campaign storyline. TBH, I don't really care about the multiplayer, since I never really do multiplayer, so the removal of (official) dedicated server support didn't really bother me, though it does seem like a rather dick move on their part. I know they've taken a lot of crap for that and the removal of the console, but outside of multiplayer, does it really matter? OOC, is there anything about MW2 that you didn't like other than the multiplayer changes?

It looks nice, but if I'm going to drop 53USD for it the single player must be excellent and multiplayer better be decent (from what I've heard that is not the case at the moment).

Not trying to be a fanboy here, but I think it's pretty sad that so many people boycotted it just because of the MP changes; it's not just a MP game, in fact, it's not even a primarily MP game, I wouldn't think. The vast majority of the development time and money for a game like, well, most FPSs, is spent on the SP campaign (also the graphics engine, if they make their own), not on the MP. I mean, if that's all those people wanted it for, that's fine, but that's their choice.

I'm not sure if that's the case lately, especially if Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation fame) is to be believed. On the other hand, MW2 is not like Battlefield 2142, which is a multiplayer only game. And yes, I was going to get MW2, until the multiplayer SNAFU, now I'll wait until it hits the 20USD to 30USD price range.

x88x
11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
It looks nice, but if I'm going to drop 53USD for it the single player must be excellent and multiplayer better be decent (from what I've heard that is not the case at the moment).

Well, I will say the SP is definitely excellent. I can't comment on the MP for previously stated reasons though.

I'm not sure if that's the case lately, especially if Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation fame) is to be believed. On the other hand, MW2 is not like Battlefield 2142, which is a multiplayer only game.

If you think about it just in terms of development and production costs, the SP is always gonna have more time and money put into it. Think about it; once you have the graphics engine, and all the player/weapon/environment/etc objects created, you just have to make some maps, make the rules for the various MP scenarios, and bam, you've got MP. With SP, you have to make more maps, then populate them with NPCs, create an AI engine for said NPCs (those two could also apply for MP if you have bots, but really...how many MP games have been done that had bots but didn't have an SP mode), create a story and script, hire voice-actors, do cut-scenes to develop that story, think up interesting challenges/gameplay mechanics for the player so it's not just a run and shoot thing (ok, so I guess that one could apply to MP as well). Other than the Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, Quake, and CS games, I can't think of any franchises that are solely MP..and two of those are offshoots of SP games.

simon275
11-15-2009, 11:22 PM
It is basically from a money/marketing perspective. These games are made in cycles. You need to release product in the downtime between Infinity Ward games so you get Treyarch to run an alternative cycle. It keeps momentum up and keeps the Call of Duty brand in the spotlight. Even if they game isn't well recieved by the hardcore FPS community they will bank on the brand and people will flock to buy it to have something to play between Infinity Ward releases.

Airbozo
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
MW2 is one of the only games I have bought on release date. It was discounted at Fry's for $44.95. I love the game so far, but the single player campaign is too short. I beat it in 3 nights.

I have played a few of the SPec-ops missions and am looking forward to playing the with a friend. I wish you could hook up with the Xbox live crowd though.

So far I have not heard anything about the multiplayer snafu. What is the issue?

As far as cycling the developers, most company's do it to make sure they stay on schedule. They may also have a contract with Treyarch that dictates how many titles they have to produce.

SXRguyinMA
11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
you on PC or PS3 Airbozo? I'm on PC and always lookin for people to play MP with. I also beat the single player in 3 nights, but damn was it fun!

Airbozo
11-18-2009, 05:14 PM
you on PC or PS3 Airbozo? I'm on PC and always lookin for people to play MP with. I also beat the single player in 3 nights, but damn was it fun!

I am on the PC (the only other gaming system is the Wii that rarely gets played. It is Hockey season and when the wife is home, hockey is on...).

I am a member of the TBCS Steam community with a screen name of: what else: Airbozo. If I am on, invite me in. I have to relax the setup of my router. I will try that tonight.

crenn
11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
The main problem with MP (especially if you don't have a good connection) is ping. And trust me, ping a is HUGE thing. With dedicated servers, normally you hire a VPS or something like that with a lot of bandwidth and then everyone gets a near constant ping to the server.
With listen servers(or pretty much P2P servers), the ping can be a lot more varible depending on the connection (like someone else on your network surfing the web). What I've seen so far is a lot of people are getting fairly high pings while the host is getting a major advantage (Don't understand why? It's because the game is running on the host's machine which means the host doesn't get lag), this is mainly due to most connections only have a single 1Mbps upload.
The other problem is if the host leaves, it take a couple of minutes for the game to decide who will be the new host.

Another reason why the multiplayer is crap, hackers. The IWNet which they introduced was also meant to reduce hackers. The community told them that this doesn't work. The community was right, and there has been hacks made very quickly for MW2. And because there is no admins, people have to either put up with it or leave.

NightrainSrt4
11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Well looks like I will have to play with you guys sometime as I accidentally bought it on steam. No, not "accidentally", seriously lol.

I've always done this thing, kindof like online window shopping, where I put the item in my cart, then go all the way to right before clicking the last button to order. Usually that's quite a few screens. 99.9% of the time I can convince myself I either don't want it, don't need it, etc. It's just a method I've used to avoid useless purchases. It usually works.

Well, steam had my information already stored and set to go from last time when the $2.50 tf2 deal was on and I bought one for each of my brothers.

Anyway, one click to put it in the cart, and apparently what I thought would bring me to before I put my card stuff in/choose paypal/etc turned out to be a straight up purchase lol. I was like "Ohhh Ooooo" lmfao when it popped up and said "thank you for your purchase".

So ya. I'll have to play with you guys. lmfao

billygoat333
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
hahaha thats awesome. well not really, kinda sucks but at least the game is a good one and not something stupid! haha

NightrainSrt4
11-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Haha! Ya. I actually enjoyed multiplayer. I didn't have any lag last night when I played, at least nothing that I perceived. The only thing I can say right now is that I don't think I will feel a bond with a community with this game. Everyone feels kind of faceless. And because I won't always be with the same groups of people, with randomness of course, I don't know if I will feel such a deep attachment like I do with tf2.

But I do very much enjoy it. To me it feels kind of counter-strike-ey, but from my perspective. I don't play that game, at all really. I've only ever played gungame, and mw2 has a similar feel. Not changing guns every couple kills, but that pace, and getting new guns, etc.

I don't know. I enjoy it so far, which is a good thing.

Airbozo
11-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Haha! Ya. I actually enjoyed multiplayer. I didn't have any lag last night when I played, at least nothing that I perceived. The only thing I can say right now is that I don't think I will feel a bond with a community with this game. Everyone feels kind of faceless. And because I won't always be with the same groups of people, with randomness of course, I don't know if I will feel such a deep attachment like I do with tf2.

But I do very much enjoy it. To me it feels kind of counter-strike-ey, but from my perspective. I don't play that game, at all really. I've only ever played gungame, and mw2 has a similar feel. Not changing guns every couple kills, but that pace, and getting new guns, etc.

I don't know. I enjoy it so far, which is a good thing.

I only played one game of MP last night and STANK! Still had fun though. I personally feel that the coop spec ops missions will be the best part of this game. Hit me up this weekend if I am online...

SXRguyinMA
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I enjoy multiplayer as well and never have any lag. The game does automatically search for groupd or games witht he lowest lag possible which is nice. Nightrain - hit me up if I'm online - SXRguyinMA. I've got Airbozo on my friends list already :up:

NightrainSrt4
11-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Friend invite sent to both you guys. Though we are all prob on TBCS group anyway, hehe. I think we derailed the thread a bit, but . . . the question was pretty thoroughly answered. *shrug*

SXRguyinMA
11-20-2009, 05:04 PM
yea it was answered - the hardcore gamers hate the multiplayer setup while the regular joes like me could care less. seems to about answer it :whistler: lol

x88x
11-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Friend invite sent to both you guys. Though we are all prob on TBCS group anyway, hehe. I think we derailed the thread a bit, but . . . the question was pretty thoroughly answered. *shrug*

yea it was answered - the hardcore gamers hate the multiplayer setup while the regular joes like me could care less. seems to about answer it :whistler: lol

Hahaha, yeah; pretty much. Derail away; this here be an off-road train :P

NightrainSrt4
11-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Multiplayer is starting to get pretty frustrating. Playing at times that kids are out of school ends up with every few games someone quite obviously using one of the aimbot/wallhack crap. Fricken ridiculous that all you have to do is youtube search it and they give you the links and everything.

When people even on the same team as the player are having a hard time hitting 20 kills, and that player is hitting 80 kills to only a handful of deaths, AND, on the killcam you can see them tracking you through walls each and every time, with no heatbeat sensor or any other helpful addon/perk. I've done little dances back and forth behind multiple walls then jumped out into the open and in killcam you can see them tracking every movement.

Ughh. . .

SXRguyinMA
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
yea I've been noticing that as well. along with all the people that are already to a level 70 after the game was only out a week. its retarded. I dont care though, its still fun

Collinstheclown
11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Don't have these problems on the 360! ;)

-CollinstheClown

Airbozo
11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't have these problems on the 360! ;)

-CollinstheClown

lol,

My biggest gripe so far is that I can't play online with my friends that have an XBOX or PS3. I know the technology exists to allow different platforms to play together, but no-one wants to take the time...

x88x
11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I seem to remember some game a while back promising to have cross-platform online multiplayer, but I don't remember what it was...or what happened to it.. I wouldn't think it would be a problem, really, just give the different platforms a common online location to talk on...but then you'd probably have either a) console players complaining that the PC players don't have to pay, or b) PC players...not playing.. because they have to pay :P (Microsoft Live! anyone? heheh)

NightrainSrt4
11-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Shadowrun had cross-platform multiplayer.

I had fun playing a domination match on the opposite side as one of the '1337' haxorz kiddies. I topped the other side and killed the kid using the hacks a few times with some sneakiness.

At the end of the game, after we won, in the lobby the kid goes "Well you guys winning doesn't matter. Look at the scores. (He was a good 50+ points ahead of me). I kicked all your asses". *facepalm*

Wecrookie
11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Multiplayer is starting to get pretty frustrating. Playing at times that kids are out of school ends up with every few games someone quite obviously using one of the aimbot/wallhack crap. Fricken ridiculous that all you have to do is youtube search it and they give you the links and everything.

When people even on the same team as the player are having a hard time hitting 20 kills, and that player is hitting 80 kills to only a handful of deaths, AND, on the killcam you can see them tracking you through walls each and every time, with no heatbeat sensor or any other helpful addon/perk. I've done little dances back and forth behind multiple walls then jumped out into the open and in killcam you can see them tracking every movement.

Ughh. . .

That was one reason given by IW & Activision as to why they weren't having dedicated servers, to stop hacking....:rolleyes:

It's great to see it's working......:rolleyes:

As far as i'm concerned they aren't getting any of my cash as they have done more to finish off PC gaming than any pirate or hacker:mad:.

yours wecrookie:eek: