PDA

View Full Version : plastic filler

unknownconcepts
02-19-2006, 11:56 PM
ok i was thinking about how people mold cases and such.
and i was wondering if plastic filler would work as good as bondo.
i have tons of both and im not sure what to use.

Aero
02-20-2006, 01:31 PM
it could. I've never used plastic filler but I would imagine if it could dry hard and not shatter/break/fall off it should work fine.

unknownconcepts
02-20-2006, 08:27 PM
ill just use good ol body filler :]

DaveW
02-21-2006, 02:57 PM
What actually is bondo? We don't have it over here by that name, but it gets thrown about the forums a lot.

-Dave

justleftlife
02-21-2006, 03:46 PM
bondo is a 2 part compound that you have to mix then apply, Usually used on cars to fill cracks and shape for new hood scoops. stuff like that

Malatory
02-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Its more a brand name that gets over used to describe something.

http://www.bondo-online.com/Default.asp

Aero
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
yeah, Bondo is a company that makes Auto Body filler. The stuff used to fix small rust holes on cars. Its used in modding because it drys and hardens in about 20 min and can easily be sanded, smoothed, and painted once hardened.

DaveW
02-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm thinking that Bondo own the rights to their product so that other company's can't make it, and they don't market it here. Because i've never seen anything like that here in the UK. Gudammit. There's plenty of substitutes, but none that provide the same finish or strength.

-Dave

crazybillybob
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
If I remeber right, plastic filler is used in wood. Like when you have a knot that pops out of a board or covering a nail hole. The problem with it is that it is made to expand and contract more like wood with humity it's a good thing when used for wood and most paint used on wood products is somewhat flexable even when fully cured (think latex)......Not a good thing with metal and enamels are not very flexable.

When working on your PC case stick with Bondo (usless your using wood)....
Now I know that there are other Bondo like products sold in the UK, I don't have names off the top of my head. I do know that Bondo is a DOT issue here in the USA (means you can't ship it by Air ) because it's hazardus .....It burns nice and the vapors are very bad for you:eek: :( but the end result is nice!

Crazybillybob