PDA

View Full Version : Question about airbrush paints.

Oneslowz28
11-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Going to order the paint for my COD MW2 Digital Camo paint job in a week or so. Wondering who I should go with?

Createx - Cheap, loads of colors, no specialty colors
Kustom Shop - I have used their stuff in the past in a large HVLP gun and it flowed well.
AutoAir Colors - On par with Kustom Shop in color variety. Waterborne so no VOC.

SO what should I buy?

slaveofconvention
11-28-2009, 09:12 AM
With a little extra thinner, or often without, you can get standard auto basecoat through an airbrush - you sometimes have to be careful with very coarse metallics but I personally just use the basecoat - you can get a single pack lacquer (clear) which doesn't require activator etc to go over the top, and I can't speak for the US but here I can pick up enough colour to cover an entire case for about $6 (plus thinners and clear). I've never used any of the stuff you mention specifically, so I can't comment on those. The first time you paint with automotive supplies it's expensive, you may have to buy a gallon of thinners and a litre or more of clear but it'll last a LONG time so subsequent work get really cheap

Oneslowz28
11-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I am aware of Auto enamels. I sprayed my camaro and the body kit off of one of my old eclipses. I was just trying to avoid the expense of enamels for the mod since I will only need a few oz of each color. The guy who's videos and DVDs I have been watching uses Kustom Shop paints. I am thinking about ordering one of their large true fire paint kits and really getting into airbrushing.

I have a older Iwata Airbrush my mom bought for me back in the day and yesterday I picked up a dual action one from Harbor Freight on sale for $14.99 and got a 10' hose for $2 because the package was open.

I am going to pick up some createx paint tomorrow from hobby lobby and get some practice in with the cheap stuff.

SgtM
11-29-2009, 04:34 AM
That's a no brainer for me. I use Auto Air. I have the same cheapo brush you got from HF. From what I've heard, the autoborne (new from AA) flows just like a urethane (KS, HOK et al). http://www.tcpglobal.com/autoaircolor/

Are you watching Ed Hubbs? Check out Rick Primeau (http://www.blogtv.com/people/primocustoms). He's the man. Can ya guess who the skull shirt was done for?

Oneslowz28
11-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes it is Ed Hubbs I have been watching. A friend bought a few of his DVD's to learn to brush flames on his bike and after several attempts that failed, he gave up and has since sold his brush and let me borrow / have the dvds.

Thanks for the info on the new autoborne stuff and the link to Rick Primeau. Shirt looks nice.

SgtM
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Ed Hubbs is really cool too. He's responded to me a few times on youtube after I featured some of his vids on theairbrushforum.com. What I've found is there are so many styles. Also look at Craig Fraser, Mike Lavallee, Rich Markham. Everyone paints fire differently. For example, Ed, Mike, and most others use colors and candies. Markham uses white and then transparent colors on top of that to build his layers. There's really no right or wrong way to do it. What's important to remember is to use a combo of freehand and then stencils on top of that, using the stencils to build your highlights and edges only, not the flame shape itself.

Oneslowz28
11-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Yea I like Ed's method for doing fire. I always love the deep flames that come from layering candy over each layer of flames. My last eclipse has some true fire flames on it from a contest I won at a car show. I got the bumper done and only had to pay another $150 for the hood and fenders. It had about 8 layers total and looked like a real lake of blue fire.

Thanks for the other guys names. I will be sure to check them out. I have been lurking over on your airbrush forum for a few weeks now. I will get around to joining some time... lol

SgtM
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Not mine. Commando actually owns it. He just lets me help administer things. Feel free to join anytime. We have every skill level from average Joe, to full time Pro, and everyone is eager and willing to help out, just as it is here.

Oneslowz28
12-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Rick, What PSI do you set at the hose for your HF brush? I have been reading about 40psi. I picked up some 8oz createx black and white bottles today at hobby lobby for 50% off so they were right at $5 each. I also picked up a bottle of createx brand cleaner. The 50% off was only on the 8oz bottles though or I would have stocked up and made Mr. Visa a happy man.

Have you sprayed createx paint? If you have did you reduce it at all with water?

flintoff222
04-15-2014, 03:31 AM
Dude I have been using Vallejo game color and badger minaret paints because its very reliable for me, I just clean my airbrush with Windex but just thin paints with airbrush medium because in my point of view no other alternate for clean the air brush...