PDA

View Full Version : Immigrating to Canada

Luke122
12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey guys and gals,

A friend of mine is interested in moving to Canada from the US, and I'm looking for as much info on the subject as possible. Any links, contacts, personal experience, etc, would be greatly appreciated!

I thought that coming to Canada from the US would be easier than from many other countries, but I could be wrong! :(

mDust
12-16-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't know anything about crossing the border to stay, but all I've ever needed to get into Canada in the past was a birth certificate and photo ID. Occasionally, not even that.:whistler: But getting back into the US was always the hard part. We'd play 20 questions for a bit, examine my identification documents, search my car, bring out the dog, find nothing of interest, and then I'd be on my way. I think a passport is now (or will be) required to cross from any country to the US, so it's likely it will be required to go from the US to Canada...but since your friend isn't going back, I don't think there should be any problem. I'm assuming that proper authorities have been informed of your friends intentions and all paperwork has been submitted to each government. Is your friend aiming to renounce US citizenship to become a Canadian citizen?

chaksq
12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
A passport is required to get into Canada and has been for a while now. That is why I got mine a few years ago right before they required them. Living in upstate new york I've known friends to go on roadtrips, overshoot their destination and end up in Canada.

Good luck for your friend, I have considered doing similar but I'll wait for now.

Luke122
12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I'll let him post here if he wants his name known. ;)

Basically they havent started any of the process yet, as we are unsure of where to start. The immigration website doesnt really say much, other than "fill out Form X1267-abd and submit to x Agency, for application to receive form 36-777agggedf-xqq." and so on.

A straight ahead check list would be nice.. we are researching more thoroughly.

artoodeeto
12-17-2009, 06:30 PM
try the recent mythbusters method - zoom real fast past the checkpoint with headlights off in the middle of a very dark night. Don't forget the maple syrup in the glove box that you're smuggling (into Canada, naturally). :P

aside from that, I can't offer any advice :( I've only been to Canada for half an hour, and drove south from the US to get there. That's right, south. Detroit to Windsor, about the only place you can do it. :)

mDust
12-17-2009, 11:38 PM
about the only place you can do it. :)
Literally the only place unless you're from Alaska.

I also just found this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp. Should be a bit helpful since it does sort of guide you through the process.

Luke122
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Bump - de - Bump