PDA

View Full Version : Avatar - Good? Bad? Meh?

Zephik
12-19-2009, 07:07 PM
No Spoilers Please.

Luke122
12-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Looks pretty good, I dont like all the hype surrounding it.

Technochicken
12-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm going to see it tomorrow morning so and I'll report back then, but all I have heard is good things about it.

xRyokenx
12-19-2009, 11:54 PM
It's amazing. Go see it. lol

Technochicken
12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
It was pretty good. Sometimes the dialog was a bit lacking, but it was definitely worth seeing.

d_stilgar
12-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I liked it. I saw it in 3D, which is cool enough I guess. I liked that they didn't explain things. They never said "they air is poisonous" or "there's an insufficient oxygen" or whatever. They let you know that masks must be worn and leave the rest to you. They also did a good job of letting you see things that you did not understand, and then show you about it later, which I liked.

There were some weird things that I wasn't super fond of also, but if nothing else, the movie is beautiful.

Technochicken
12-21-2009, 12:26 AM
They actually did say that you would be unconscious in 40 seconds (I think), and that you would die in a few minutes if you did not wear the mask.

BerticusPryme
12-21-2009, 01:17 AM
The animation ad effects were beautiful but i kinda found the storyline a little lacking. other than that I say go watch it.

d_stilgar
12-21-2009, 06:46 AM
They actually did say that you would be unconscious in 40 seconds (I think), and that you would die in a few minutes if you did not wear the mask.

Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is that they don't go into detail as to why you will die, they just tell you that you will.

simon275
12-21-2009, 10:51 PM
The graphics where nice. But the plot was kind of written by a 12 year old.

<Spoiler> Highlight to read
Won't the humans just come back in 10 years and bomb the **** out of the planet/moon from space?
</Spoiler>

d_stilgar
12-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Agreed with spoiler above.

Xpirate
12-31-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't get to go to the movies very often, but I did get to see this one because the wife wanted to see it. It was a good movie and worth the $ to see it, but it was kind of predictable as you are watching it. There were a few minor surprises, but most of them could be predicted well in advance.

Wife's opinion:
<spoiler> Highlight to read just like simon275's
The plot was just like "Dances With Wolves." I've never seen the previous movie, so I'm taking her word for it.
</spoiler>

I'm surprised that the wife wanted to see it. I knew nothing about the movie except that "Avatar" was used by the Ultima series of video games to define the player. I was afraid she would hate the movie as bad as she hated Daredevil, Hulk, and a select few other science fiction movies.

blueonblack
12-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought it was an excellent movie, but like so many others it should have just been done in 2D. Despite what Cameron says the technology isn't perfected. There were MANY times when one eye or the other would flicker, like the polarization was off, very distracting. The plot was irrelevant as far as I was concerned, for the movie was all about eye candy and it was BEAUTIFUL. By far the best CG I have seen to date, and the world (which is really what the movie was about, with a plot laid on top of it) was extremely well done. I'll see it again, in 2D, just to look at the world again. Awesome.

KiLLERMAN21
12-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Sounds to me like Avatar was the Crysis of movies. Everyone that ive spoken to said Crysis was amazingly sweet to look at but it was a kinda bad game.

I still havent seen Avatar, but im definitely going to.

nevermind1534
01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't get to go to the movies very often, but I did get to see this one because the wife wanted to see it. It was a good movie and worth the $ to see it, but it was kind of predictable as you are watching it. There were a few minor surprises, but most of them could be predicted well in advance.

Wife's opinion:
<spoiler> Highlight to read just like simon275's
The plot was just like "Dances With Wolves." I've never seen the previous movie, so I'm taking her word for it.
</spoiler>

That's exactly what I was thinking after seeing it today.

Kayin
01-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable, but a bit long and preachy.

(yes, I get the irony.)

d_stilgar
01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
I saw it again over the holidays and liked it better the 2nd time. The story is . . . meh, but it is just such a great, beautiful world that it is hard not to enjoy what you are watching.

I would like to point to this article written a while back about how Delgo and Avatar are more or less the same movie. http://www.movieline.com/2009/08/the-7-eeriest-parallels-between-avatar-and-delgo.php

Also, Fern Gully anyone? Cutting down trees. Glowing stuff. There are more parallels but those are the big ones.

crenn
01-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I saw the movie today.... IT IS AWESOME! And the storyline is fine :P

d_stilgar
01-12-2010, 04:43 AM
This whole image is somewhat of a spoiler, but I think it sums up the movie fairly well.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg