PuB_Evo
12-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Here is my system rig:

Mobo w/ CPU - Asus Crosshair III Formula w/ Phenom II Black 965

CPU Cooler CM V8

RAM - [Pending]

GPU Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR5

Chassis - CM HAF 932

Hard Disk Drive - Western Digital 500 GB 32MB (Caviar), Western Digital 1TB 32MB (Caviar)

Power Supply Unit - Corsair HX Modular 850w

ODD - Samsung S223 22x DVD+-RW (SATA)

OS - Win7 Home Prem 64bit edition
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear friends, fitted the rig up with

-->> 2 x CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) Dual Channel Memory = Total of 8GB RAM

Tested on the first Mobo w/ CPU - Asus Crosshair III Formula w/ Phenom II Black 965, could only manage to boot up w/ a single 2GB piece of RAM. Anything more then 2GB would not boot the system.
Tested on the second Mobo w/ CPU - Asus Crosshair III Formula w/ Phenom II Black 965, could not boot up the system at all.
Tomorrow, the shop is gonna have two more brand new Asus Crosshair III Formula to test of if the whole system works and boots up.

Do you guys think the problem's with the Mobo - Asus Crosshair III Formula? Specifications states that >> **Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended. Does this has anything to do with my problem? Im using Windows7® 64-bit operation system.

Advise needed, thank you all XD

jdbnsn
12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
On the first system you stated that it will only boot with one of the RAM modules installed, have you tried both of the modules individually to see of one of them is bad? Since you are using Win7 64bit that statement doesn't apply to you so I don't think that is the issue. Do you have another system available to test the RAM in? Are you sure you are installing the RAM in the correct DIMM slots as per the manual's directions? Have you tried other OS's like Linux to see if they recreate the problem? One this I would certainly do is run memtest86+ to verify your RAM is good.

-Jon

PuB_Evo
12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
The RAMs are tested to be working. 8 sticks of RAMs were tested one by one on the mobo.

The person who assemble my rig also tried hitting the "MemOK!" button, it's the small red button located at the side of the black reset button on the board. Doesnt boot the system up either.

Some of the people in other forums were suggesting voltages & BIOS timing tweaking.
Could it also be the flash bios?

nevermind1534
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Usually, when this happens, the voltage does need to be increased. I have also heard of compatibility problems with corsair memory and ASUS boards, but they don't seem to be very common.

PuB_Evo
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Usually, when this happens, the voltage does need to be increased.

How would i get to tweak when i cant get the system to boot? Or do i use one stick of RAM first to do it. Im alittle lost still on the steps and how to go about doing it?

Luke122
12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
If the system posts with one stick installed, then the bios might need to be updated.

Another possibility is to try and reset the bios to factory defaults.

PuB_Evo
12-21-2009, 01:00 PM
If the system posts with one stick installed, then the bios might need to be updated.

Another possibility is to try and reset the bios to factory defaults.

Taken from the Asus Overview description section.

"EZ-Flash 2

PCI2Simply update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS
EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility. Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or using an OS-based flash utility."

Is the above quoted what you are talking about? So i would do the update on one stick of RAM first? I need to convey the message to the person from the store so i can help in resolving the issue?

Luke122
12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
The BIOS is not part of the RAM, it is part of the motherboard.

You said that you tested each stick of RAM individually, and the system worked with any of the sticks installed, but not with all of them installed at once. Therefore, the problem is not the RAM, but the motherboard.

The BIOS update *may* solve your issue. If the store is doing the work for you, then they have likely considered (or even performed) the BIOS update for you already.

Contact them to find out. :)

PuB_Evo
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Well i didnt say the problem was with the RAMs, that is why i mention it in post #3. Also i believe the guy who was assembling my rig wasnt aware of an update to be done. I will see to it when i go over to the store again later today. Thank you

mDust
12-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Is there a mobo speaker? If so, what is it yelling about? (The mobo manual will tell you.)
If the store will let you, swap the memory for TW3X4G1600C9DHXNV or CM3X2G1600C9DHXNV...they are basically the same thing (DDR3 1600 4096MB(Kit of 2)) but are on the QVL (http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=2Y4dQFaJ6gPN18cQ&templete=2).
Another thing I noticed is this:

Native DDR3 1600(O.C.) SupportThe O.C. stands for overclocked. Which means the board will need to be overclocked to run the memory at that speed. Many ASUS boards will not allow the memory to run that fast with more than 2 DIMM slots populated, so it would have to run slower with 8GB. While it SHOULD simply run the memory at a slower speed, it may not be doing so. Check the manual and make sure the dimms are in the correct slots...don't guess or assume, as it does make a difference. I had mine in slots 0 and 2 for dual channels, and then found out I can only run higher speed memory in 1 and 4. It's weird, but that's how it is.
Good luck.

PuB_Evo
12-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Is there a mobo speaker? If so, what is it yelling about? (The mobo manual will tell you.)
If the store will let you, swap the memory for TW3X4G1600C9DHXNV or CM3X2G1600C9DHXNV...they are basically the same thing (DDR3 1600 4096MB(Kit of 2)) but are on the QVL (http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=2Y4dQFaJ6gPN18cQ&templete=2).

I also visited Asus support offical site to seek advise. One of the members there using rig consisting of the Crosshair III Formula (BIOS 1105) & Phenom ll X4 965BE.
This is what he said...

There shouldn't be, not using Win7 x64. The problem is likely down to the RAM timings/voltage not being set correctly with the BIOS on [AUTO].

With AI Overclock on [Manual], set the DRAM Frequency to 1600Mhz, and the DRAM Voltage to 1.65V. Then go into DRAM Timing/Driving Config, set DRAM Command Rate to 2T and TCL-TRCD-TRP-TRAS to 9-9-9-24. These are the recommended settings from Corsair's web site. Now hit F10 to save settings and reboot. The system should now boot successfully.I dont know if this would work, what do you guys think?

Also, does it really mean i would face no problem or have to config the RAM settings if i follow the list(linked below) of "Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Asus Crosshair III Formula"

Corsair list: http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1048893#other_modules

mDust
12-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I can't see it being a timing issue since it boots with a single dimm installed but not more. But those settings won't hurt anything, so try them. If it works, then it works. If not, then try the same settings but 1333 or 1066Mhz.

PuB_Evo
12-22-2009, 12:35 AM
I can't see it being a timing issue since it boots with a single dimm installed but not more. But those settings won't hurt anything, so try them. If it works, then it works. If not, then try the same settings but 1333 or 1066Mhz.

Will try it out and update again. Thank you:)

PuB_Evo
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
All issues solved and is boot-able with a change of a third brand new Asus Crosshair III Formula. Am not at the scene to witness if its really the mobo thats at fault, at least its what i was told.

The next question i have is how do i double confirm the parts are all in the tower and identify them to what i wanted besides psychically looking into the casing?
Does CPUID list them all?

Luke122
12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
CPUZ + the windows device manager should list everything, except for any aftermarket cooling or aesthetic pieces you requested (fans, lights, watercooling, etc).

Those will require you to look into the case yourself.

PuB_Evo
12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
CPUZ and CPUID seem to look the same.. Are they the same thing?:glasses:

Luke122
12-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, sorry, meant to type CPUID. They are essentially the same thing. :)

PuB_Evo
12-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Alrighty, thank you so much! :)

mDust
12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
I doubt if you got 2 defective boards...I'll bet they put a third board in and then changed some bios settings. It might be wise to take note of those settings for future reference. I'm glad everything got worked out for you though.:)

PuB_Evo
12-23-2009, 08:30 AM
It might be wise to take note of those settings for future reference.

Does it mean i have to monitor/keep track of the settings just in-case it isn't correct now? Or do u actually mean taking note of the current settings which worked on mine for future similar issues others, so i could help them out?

mDust
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Does it mean i have to monitor/keep track of the settings just in-case it isn't correct now? Or do u actually mean taking note of the current settings which worked on mine for future similar issues others, so i could help them out?I just meant to jot down stuff like the ram timing, FSB, memory ratio, voltage, etc. They changed something to get it to work. If, in a year, something happens that causes the bios to reset to stock settings, it would be handy to know what needs to be set to get it to work again.
But if you can find out what was changed and post it here then that could be beneficial to everyone that has this problem and Googles it.:)