PDA

View Full Version : Asus G71GX-A1 - Get it or not...?

Luke122
12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm looking for some opinions on this laptop.. the specs are great, the price is right, and I have the chance to take one home today from work on a nice little payment plan.

The thing is, do I really want to spend this kind of money? I've given up on any hope of gaming on my desktop PC without any serious upgrades, so this is more appealing. Yes, the desktop is more upgradeable in the long run, and will be cheaper, but then I'm tethered to my desk when I want some game time, which is in the basement, away from my family.

I'd much rather be able to sit on the couch and game, or connect to my living room LCD, and play on that. I've already got two laptops though, (a Toshiba 17" Satellite.. nothing special, and an XPS M1210 with a Go7400 and 4gb ram.. acceptable for some gaming).

I know also that I cant do as much for modding on tihs unit (well, any really.. until the warranty is up..) and that my upgrade path is super limited (cpu maybe, HDD, ODD, ram, wireless) but the appeal of having this machine is pretty high..

Specs:

■2.0GHz Intel Q9000 Core 2 Quad Processor
■6GB of DDR2 RAM, 3 slots, 6GB Max
■640GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM), BluRay Disk Combo Drive
■17-Inch WUXGA (1080p) LCD Display, NVidia GTX 260M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM, Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn, 2.0M Webcam
■Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System, Gaming Backpack and Gaming Mouse Included

Downside: payments.

All arguments for OR against, please post. I can't post price, since it's going to be @ cost, but lets just say "awesome".

Luke122
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm 99% sure I'm getting this now..

Luke122
12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
OK, sold. I'm taking it home tonight! Yay me!

Luke122
12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Review coming soon!

Zephik
12-30-2009, 07:28 PM
How much does it cost? I can't seem to find a price tag anywhere. But here is my rule of thumb as far as deciding whether to buy something or not. Do I need it? Yes. But can I afford it? Yes. SOLD! or... Do I need it? No. Stop right there, close the web page and try to take your mind off of it. lol

I usually fail when it's a "no". The last time I tried this I was deciding whether or not I should buy that $340 22" Asus PG221H LCD Monitor. Did I need it? No. Is it a really nice monitor and was I using a POS 17" DELL LCD Monitor that I've had for I don't know how many years? Yeah... I bought it. lol

As far as gaming goes though, personally, I can't stand using laptops. I need a desk, keyboard and a nice mouse in order to seriously game. Although.. I suppose you could do that with a laptop too, couldn't you? Hmm.

Well, if you can comfortably afford it and you don't need to put that money anywhere else, then I see no problem with buying it. Just make sure you ask yourself whether you really need it or not. I mean, of course you don't NEED it, but like, maybe you could find something cheaper that still suits your needs just fine, or whatever. You get what I mean.

EDIT: LOL Posted too late. Geez, Mr. Impatient over there! :p

Luke122
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Haha, well lets just say that I can comfortably afford it, though I will be unloading my Xbox360, PSP, and my Toshiba Satellite to help make this even MORE comfortable. :)

Durrthock
01-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I got the g72 I think, same thing but the screen is 1600x900, $1300

Luke122
01-02-2010, 12:53 AM
1920x1020, Bluray, etc.. it's hotness.

Too bad in the end I've realized that I can't afford it. It breaks my heart to take it back, but something big has come up in my life, and I cant afford the laptop right now.

Things are looking hopeful that it'll be sometime this year, but for now I have to focus back on Zero, since that's what my budget is like at this point.

Any other suggestions for performance/gaming laptops? I'll be picking one up as soon as I can. :D