PDA

View Full Version : $39 Touchscreen

Rankenphile
02-27-2006, 01:46 AM
The OneStepAhead "My TouchScreen" (http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85230/413755/117.html#readmore) is an interesting product - a $39 touch-screen overlay for existing monitors. Made with PC interface, it is sold as a kids' toy, but allows touch-screen interface on standard monitors.

That said, put in the hands of a talented modder that stripped off the plastic bits and did a bit of programming could come up with some VERY interesting applications for this little thing.

What do you think?

OvRiDe
02-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Very kewl find!! Call it a hunch for that price.. the resolution of the touch screen is probably pretty low. Which means it may not be a perfect solution for alot of things but definately not a show stopper. I wish they would provide some specs but obviously they are not selling it with modders in mind.. hahah :D

Rankenphile
02-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't imagine it would be super useful, and not very high resolution, but once it was hacked properly (and a bunch of the guys at MAKE are working on it, I'm sure. That's where I found this link) you could probably use it for your desktop icons and such, for opening programs and things.

I'm curious to see what happens with this.

DaveW
02-27-2006, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't imagine it would be super useful, and not very high resolution, but once it was hacked properly (and a bunch of the guys at MAKE are working on it, I'm sure. That's where I found this link) you could probably use it for your desktop icons and such, for opening programs and things.

Is this MAKE magazine? It's a shame we don't have that over here. I've ordered in the R2-DIY edition, but i'm still waiting for it to arrive (damn overseas delivery times!)

-Dave

Rankenphile
02-27-2006, 05:46 PM
No, it was on their web page - MakeZine.com (http://www.makezine.com/). Gotta love it.

DaveW
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm sorry, but i just HAD to post This. (http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/02/mythbusters_in_lego.html) Mythbusters is the best show on TV, i get terribly addicted to it-i'll be eating breakfast or lunch when it comes on, and then i'll end up watching it instead of doing important stuff, like going to Uni or doing my project.

Sorry bout the off topic post-thanks for the link, Rankenphile.

-Dave

Rankenphile
02-27-2006, 06:29 PM
lol, I saw that. Funny stuff.

Aero
02-27-2006, 08:39 PM
No, it was on their web page - MakeZine.com (http://www.makezine.com/). Gotta love it.

Lol, earlier his year I transofred into AP Physics from Honors. The day I did I had the then new issue of Make. The first thing the teacher said to me after "you sit there" was "YOU HAVE THE NEW MAKE!". Lol, my physics teacher rocks.

While that screen maybe less than perfect for some modders, I can be perfect for those of us with VERY low budgets.

OvRiDe
02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Very true.. After thinking about it a bit, there could be some pretty neat applications in the home automation, HTPC, and general control panel area's. Way cheaper then a pda, touch screen flat panel, or tablet pc. And if your just using as a dynamic push button type thing you could adapt and overcome the resolution limitations. I too will be anxious to see what the guys at MAKE come up with.. I used to visit Flashenabled.com alot but ever since Phillip has started editing MAKE he doesn't have time to update it :( . Oh well at least there is MAKE :)

Custom
02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Is this MAKE magazine? It's a shame we don't have that over here. I've ordered in the R2-DIY edition, but i'm still waiting for it to arrive (damn overseas delivery times!)

-Dave

I have to agree I live in Devon and it sucks trying to get hold of touchscreens and Dave why dont we get any magazines like this we should ask about it!!

DaveW
02-28-2006, 05:34 PM
It still hasn't arrived. Maybe it's worth e-mailing Make and asking them what they think of releasing a british version. In fact, i'm bored enough to do that right now.

-Dave

PS: Man i'm bored. Maybe i wouldn't be on these forums as much if i had a copy of make to inspire me :D

Custom
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I just get CustomPC it is good enough for me! lol

DaveW
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I also subscribe to custom PC. I think Crimson's Nighthawk is featured in next month's issue, am i right Crimson?

I got a reply from Make magazine, this is for all you guys in the UK on these boards...all 5 of us...

David,

First, apologies for the late reply--I'm afraid your message got lost in the
email backlog (because I didn't have an answer at hand, and had noble but
misguided intentions to dig one up and respond right away).

We're working on additional distribution deals which will get MAKE on
newsstands in the UK and Europe--hope to announce something
by this summer.

There's one other option available now, and that is to subscribe to our
MAKE Digital Edition (available without print subscription for $26.95 USD
per year). To order the digital-only edition, contact MAKE customer service.
Email cs@readerservices.makezine.com or call +1-818-487-2037 from
5am-5pm PST.

Glad you love the magazine. I can see you're a busy man--perhaps you
need a holiday? Come on over for the Maker Faire: http://makezine.com/faire/.

Cheers,

Sara

Maybe a holiday would be nice...

-Dave

Custom
03-03-2006, 09:50 AM
lol I need a holiday havent had one in 5 years! That desk in the PC was kool it had good spec aswell I am going to design a PC desk for my degree but I dont think I will be building my PC into my desk though!