PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly lost Right channel audio.

luciusad2004
01-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Hey all. I run the audio on my computer through the onboard sound chip on my motherboard. I run it through a 3.5mm to rca adapter (I think its rca, the red and white plugs?) to the back of my stereo unit. I went to listen to some music before bed and i seem to have randomly lost the right channel of my audio. I threw a CD in my stereo and it worked fine so that led me to believe that its a fault in either the computer or the cable. I tested the cable by plugging it in to the front headphone jack on my computer and like magic I got sound in both channels again.

So it seems like the problem is isolated to this single jack on the back of my motherboard. I get the left channel but not the right. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? Is the jack most likely messed up?

billygoat333
01-16-2010, 03:14 PM
most likely the solder melted or something and you lost connection. would be my guess anyways. It could also be an accidental screwup of something software related. lol or driver related. make sure your balance is set correctly for the back audio output.

luciusad2004
01-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Alright, thanks man. Ill try to check out the drivers and stuff when I get home. I didn't really bother with them so idk what would have happened. I was using my computer and everything was fine, then I switched over to my xbox (set up right next to my computer) and when I came back to my computer the audio was messed up. I was thinking I bumped something when I was rustling around with the cables under my desk. The front audio jack still works fine.

Thanks for the response man, Ill check that out when I get home.

xRyokenx
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
If you use Windows 7 it could be the sound drivers ****ing up. Every time I exit a fullscreen app it kills one side of the audio or if I exit an app with sound playing (such as the Far Cry 2 Map Editor) it doesn't end the sound and does that horrible glitchy ****.

luciusad2004
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
If you use Windows 7 it could be the sound drivers ****ing up. Every time I exit a fullscreen app it kills one side of the audio or if I exit an app with sound playing (such as the Far Cry 2 Map Editor) it doesn't end the sound and does that horrible glitchy ****.

Hmmm i gonna have to look in to this.

I was playing with the sound levels for each individual channel with my headphones on and i turned the working channel allll the way down and the nonworking channel alllll the way up and I thought I could hear some sound coming through the nonworking channel. i couldn't get this to work with my stereo though so Im not sure if maybe the sound was just coming through the headphones to the other side.

Im gonna look up my motherboard and see what the soundchip is and see if i can find a manufacture supplied driver to install.

Killa_Ape
01-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't know what kind of board you have but I know with the HD audio it's quite easy to make one of the other ports your audio out. I'd try that and see if that will fix it. I believe it's realtek (I'd have to go check another computer to verify).

luciusad2004
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I just downloaded new drivers and that didnt' fix the problem. Also played with the sound levels and it seems that It just wont output the second channel. I guess I broke the jack. : (

I don't know what kind of board you have but I know with the HD audio it's quite easy to make one of the other ports your audio out. I'd try that and see if that will fix it. I believe it's realtek (I'd have to go check another computer to verify).

really? Ill have to look up a tutorial. Im not suing ANY of my other ports.

Edit: didn't have to look up anything just threw the plug in another port and a dialogue box popped asking me what the device was supposed to be. worked out great. Thanks. Threw it in my mic-in as Im sure I'll never use it. Thanks a ton.

Killa_Ape
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
No problem just glad it worked out for you! Got to love the easy fixes.

cellsite60
08-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry for bumping an old thread but i have the same issues as the thread starter.
I got a Asrock 4Core1600Twins-P35D (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600Twins-P35D) with inbuilt 7.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio and i to plugged it in to my stereo amp and after that i lost my audio on right.
This is my Driver (http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=135).
I have tried everything that comes to mind to solve it but nothing happens.

Reinstall and update drivers
Tested my speakers
Tested with earphones
Tested every jack both front and back

If it helps, my soundsystem is 2.1 (2 speakers and 1 sub) and Vista Home 32bit.

Anything comes to mind?

xr4man
08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
always the first thing to look at is what is common to your symptoms. it sounds like you have tried every combination to get the best set of symptoms. so from that list, i would almost start guessing at actual hardware problems. do you have an old sound card you can throw in and try out?

cellsite60
08-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey.
Ye i thought to that it might be a hardware problem, i dont have an old card to try out but maybe i can borrow from a friend of mine to test this.
Thanks for the reply, ill come back with my findings.

cellsite60
08-24-2011, 12:59 PM
So it seems like a hardware problem, borrowed a soundcard from a friend and it works fine now.
Kinda wierd that the inbuilt card screws up on just one channel.

Thanks

xr4man
08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
naw, not really. it was probably just one of the output components for that channel.

luciusad2004
08-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Both of my last two motherboards have crapped out on a single audio channel. I always assumed it wasn't the chipset itself but the actual port on the motherboard since my front panel ports would work fine.

It's so annoying that next time I purchase a motherboard I'm probably going to make a point of looking for a higher quality board.

msmrx57
08-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Both of my last two motherboards have crapped out on a single audio channel. I always assumed it wasn't the chipset itself but the actual port on the motherboard since my front panel ports would work fine.

This is probably the case. I had to "fix" the port on my mp3 player recently and I couldn't believe how cheaply made it was. The contacts are very thin weak metal so if the plug gets wiggled much at all the contact won't spring back anymore and no longer touches the plug. I solved this by jamming a tiny piece of foam between the contacs and the side of the housing. The foam is soft emough to still get the plug in but firm enough to keep pressure on the contacts.