PDA

View Full Version : halo mod

bcampbell91
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Right now i lack two things necessary for completing a mod, time and money. In the meantime im designing a halo case (something i havent seen any of and thought would be interesting) that would feature a custom paintjob on the outside as well as a couple of windows. As for the case im really becoming fond of the Lian Lis but their prices are harsh. ive got some idea drawings and comp graphics below, but i would appreciate some suggestions both on painting and anything else. I am quite new to this forum and would once again really apprecaite some feedback.

http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/albums/album194/edited.jpg
http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/albums/album194/spartan2.jpg

Slug Toy
03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
heres a very spur of the moment idea. instead of just painting a masterchief on the side, why not hammer the metal out too. that way you can get some depth to it. kind of like those 3D painting kits you can get that have a plastic mold of a picture that you can take and paint any way you want.

also, how about a background paintjob that looks like the forerunners' cement structures on halo. im thinking kind of like when you start up halo pc and you see the ring floating there, and you can see the details on the outside. its kind of a cement-tech design.

actually, what would be most awesome is if you combine the two ideas i just put forth. there are distinct lines on the cement that you can make out, so you could put a ridge along each of them as well as paint them to look kinda of weathered. you would end up with a case full of lines and ridges, plus a masterchief that is also 3D. i think the various ridges would also add strength to the case.

ya, those couple ideas would probably be tough to get done properly. im assuming you have some metal working experience, although most people dont. the lines and ridges wouldnt be much of a problem because most of them would be straight, and there arent any complex curves. the masterchief... well thats a different story. thats about as complex as you can get. ive got a fair amount of experience with sheet metal, and even i would be a little intimidated to attempt something like that.

im just curious though. are you set on just adding to a pre-existing case? if you wanted to go further with a themed case, i would suggest making a hologram pad with a lit up model of cortana on it. you could use some red and blue LED's to get the right colour, and you could make cortana out of a few pieces of clear acrylic glued together, shaped, polished, and then detailed with her various features, maybe a facial expression if you're good at that stuff... and maybe even a bit of distortion that you see in the hologram during the game sometimes.... that bit of flickering or wiggling.

so try that on for size. my ideas may be a little too advanced, but keep them in mind in case you feel adventurous. i may even have to steal some of those ideas... i like what i just came up with.

Sugarfiend
03-03-2006, 05:27 AM
im just curious though. are you set on just adding to a pre-existing case? if you wanted to go further with a themed case, i would suggest making a hologram pad with a lit up model of cortana on it. you could use some red and blue LED's to get the right colour, and you could make cortana out of a few pieces of clear acrylic glued together, shaped, polished, and then detailed with her various features, maybe a facial expression if you're good at that stuff... and maybe even a bit of distortion that you see in the hologram during the game sometimes.... that bit of flickering or wiggling.

Joyride studios Made a holo-style toy exactly like you are describing ran off two AA batteries

bcampbell91
03-03-2006, 06:30 PM
thanks i really like those ideas sound like they would add a lot more depth to the mod. it will be a themed mod on a new case not sure what type yet, also is the halo pc game menu the same as halo for xbox? but the halo 2 for xbox screen also has lots of potential for an awesome paint job (that whole blue thing in the back of the scree ) . im not sure how to go about a hologram, youll have to give me a little more detail but i like the idea. as for hammering it out, im not near as experienced in metal as painting, is that something done after the paint job, just tap the aluminum around the edges of the spartan to either pop it inward or outwards slightly?