PDA

View Full Version : Sound Activated Drum Lights

DuroMentis
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Guys,

So I'm looking at my acoustic set of drums, and I wanted them to have a unique feel to them as far as aesthetics go (Well, okay. Sound too XD.) So what I want to do (depending on the cost) is make some kind of sound activated switch so when I hit the bass drum it lights up the hoop holding the drum head. I'm not very good with stuff like that so if anyone has any ideas that'd be great. My original idea (not sure it'll work) is to have a drum trigger placed on the bass drum head, triggers pick up sound and convert them to a digital board which can adjust the recorded sound of that particular drum. And instead of having the triggers go to a board, wire them to some of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2960/lit-09/5_Ultra_Bright_Red_EL_Cable.html?tl=g6c77s124

I'm not an electronic whiz by any means, so I don't know if it'll work like that, and triggers can get pretty expensive and im flat broke, so if it can be done without triggers that would be awesome. Any one have any ideas?

billygoat333
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
you could wire the ground to the drum head in a kind of web and the positive to the foot pedal, so when it strikes it grounds the loop. lol IDK. im sure someone here could rig up something. could also just use a simple microphone circuit board setup.

DuroMentis
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah I would go with a microphone, problem is that I am probably going to have to move the drum around a lot, so that means more to carry. Plus the microphone would pick up more than just the bass drum I would think. I kinda think making just the bass drum light up when it's hit and only then would be cool.

SgtM
02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
The best way to do that would be to get a NO (normally open) pressure switch and mount it to the bass pedal. That way when you kick the bass, the switch closes and fires the lights. Pick up some LED's from ledshoppe.com, wire them up to a AA battery pack, and you're set.

*EDIT*
You could even wire the battery pack up to a molex plug for easy teardown and setup. Maybe run the wires through the vent hole in the drum. That way you aren't drilling through the shell more and possibly compromising it's integrity.

DuroMentis
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys, I actually did some research and eventually found my own solution by tampering with a microphone. What I did was use an old battery holder with a battery obviously, had the positive side of the battery holder meet the positive end of an old pc mic I had laying around, and the negative side of the mic was connected to the LED Positives, and the LED Negatives to the negative battery holder side. It works and thats all I really needed, now to solder it up and test it. Video might come with it :D. Pretty spiffy for someone who didn't have a clue about this 10 minutes ago am I right?

Drum Thumper
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I was going to suggest some peizo triggers (easily built) wired to LEDs. Sounds like you got something even better figured out.

SgtM
02-02-2010, 04:15 AM
I think a video is definitely in order!

DuroMentis
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm hopefully going to radio shack today, once I get every thing hooked up ill post a video. Thanks for all the help guys!

DuroMentis
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, quick update, sorry no video yet. I just bought some Double Pedals for my drums, so I am flat broke totally now. I will be doing this eventually, I kinda want to wait until I can find a good lighting solution. I was hoping to have a solid ring of light around the bass drum as opposed to the effect I would get from individually mounted LEDs. Any ideas on how to acheive this? Thanks guys, oh and I looked at the reviews for the EL wire, apparently the red EL looks pink. So that is a no go.

billygoat333
02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
a ccfl or leds diffused with a piece of plexi would work.

DuroMentis
02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I suppose. My plexi skills are non-existant though. I wouldn't know the first thing to do with plexi. Haha

SgtM
02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Diffusing plexi couldn't be easier. Take a ring as big as the drum. Sand it down so it looks cloudy. Then, put your LED's behind that. Then they light up, the sanded plexi will diffuse the light source giving a nice glow.

DuroMentis
02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah I know, its obtaining a ring of plexi that would be difficult.

SgtM
02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Go to an auto glass store. They're usually happy to let you have the stuff they're gonna throw out anyway.

DuroMentis
02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Ok, I just got struck with an idea that would be a helluva lot easier. I have an electronic drum set and it has come to my attention that lately I'll probably want to use them more than my acoustics and thus want them to look better. I'm weird, get over it XD. Anyways, There is an unholy amount of tutorials out there on making electronic drum sets provided you have a drum module or "brain" so-to-speak. But that's not what I care about. What I care about is that these tutorials show you how to make a mesh headed drum pad rather than rubber. For you non-musician folk, basically just means more realistic/acoustic feeling, and usually more expensive. But this can be done with window screen and old drum shells which is pretty exciting because A) You can make/fake drum shells pretty easily and B) I have window screen in the garage laying around. So basically the only thing I would need to light up my electronics is some LEDs/CCFLs, some wiring to the already in use audio cables, and that's it. And as for the drum shells, the reason I've included this info is because first of all I want some input (if you don't mind) on some cool and unique ideas for a fake drum shell that looks awesome and is cost effective, and second, I plan on doing it should my wallet allow it. I was thinking Black Metal Mesh would look sick as hell with UV lights inside it that glow in sync with the beat on every drum. Any ideas? Oh and does anyone know of any sites with black metal mesh? I'm looking for some that aren't Hex mesh, the kind with circular cut holes. Thanks guys, I'll be looking as well. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks again.

Scratch that request for black metal mesh, www.frozencpu.com has some!